Grant Runner Error Message Corrections
A few minor corrections were needed for some of the validation messages.
- The error message associated with the Congressional District on the Performance Sites form was not fully displayed in the summary of error list at the top of the form.
- A pop-over message was inadvertantly showing when it should not have been for item 10 on the Research Plan form.
- Error messages associated with the attachments for the Other Project Information form were not clearing after the errors were resolved until the form was refreshed.
Grant Runner Read-Only View Display Issue
The income budget periods section of the Cover Page Supplement form was inadvertently being hidden in the read-only view.
Grant Runner Conditional Attachment Issue
On the Grant Runner Research Plan form, when the Application Type changed from Resubmission to New, and the user had already uploaded the Introduction to Application attachment, that attachment was appearing in the submission even though it was no longer required due to the type change. This scenario is unlikely to occur much if at all, but the fix assures that the conditionally-required attachment will not be submitted if the application type changes to one where this attachment is not applicable.
eGC1 Abstract & RFA/RFP Data Required
- On the eGC1 Abstract & RFA/RFP page, the RFA/RFP Number, Funding Announcement Title, and Funding Announcement URL will now be required. For Grant Runner applications, the URL will be defaulted, but users can edit as necessary.
Grant Runner Design Enhancements
Grant Runner Accordions for Section Breaks
Expandable accordions have been implemented, to allow users to see a more streamlined view of the form data. They are primarily used:
- When a section of data is read-only, standard information that the user does not need to pay as much attention to. The SF 424 organization information is an example.
- Where users might want to see a summary view of larger collections of data within a form. Modular Budget, Key Persons Expanded, and Performance Sites forms are examples of forms where summary data is presented in accordions, with ability to expand to view more details.
Wherever accordions are used, users will also see an “expand all/collapse all” link for quick “open/close” of accordions.
For SPAERC views, all accordions will be open by default, per OSP’s request.
Grant Runner Validation Changes
Across the entire Grant Runner form set, validation improvements have been made to add clarity and provide a better user experience. Updates include:
- Required fields with missing data will be highlighted with a red border, for easy identification
- Additional popover help text will display as the user is moving through fields, to guide users with detail of errors or omissions needing to be fixed before completion.
- A “Show Form Errors” feature link was added at the top of each form, to allow users to see all remaining errors on a given form at one time, with the guiding popover help text.
- The “Show Form Errors” feature will also display a summary list at the top of the form of all errors/omissions found.
- Where errors are found within an expandable accordion section, the user will see a red icon (exclamation point) to indicate an error that might at times be hidden from their view.
This release also incorporates more of the NIH-specific requirements that exceed Grants.gov requirements, for a more comprehensive list of errors that are expected to cause problems on submission. Note that there is still work to be done to more fully incorporate NIH requirements, especially those that are activity type-specific. Future releases will be targeted for continued work in NIH requirements and error identification.
On a final note, users will continue to be able to see the entire list of errors across all forms, using the ‘Check for Form Package Errors’ link on the left navigation menu.
Grant Runner Infrastructure Improvements
The Grant Runner section of SAGE has been updated to a more modern infrastructure. This will allow ORIS to more easily maintain and support the forms, and offers opportunities to improve the speed by which new forms can be incorporated into the system. This applies to only those applications using Form Set C.
Grant Runner: Key Person Expanded Update
The Key Persons Expanded form incorporates the new expandable accordion, which allows the user to see a high level summary of the persons included, while expanding to see each person’s full detail.
This form will also now default the zip code (based on the box number) for the PD/PI and for any other persons added through use of the UW Directory “person lookup” feature.
Grant Runner: Modular Budget Updates
The Modular Budget form includes the new accordion feature which displays summary information for each budget period when closed, and exposes full period detail when expanded.
Additional updates to this page include:
- Validation of budget start and end dates against project start and end dates, to alert users when budget periods fall outside of the project period range.
- Validation of period start and end dates to assure they do not overlap with a prior period.
Grant Runner: Other Project Information Updates
The Other Project Information page will now hide from the user’s view any questions that are not applicable, because they are conditioned upon another question’s yes/no answer. This is to reduce confusion over when questions are expected to be answered.
Grant Runner: Performance Site Updates
The Performance Sites form incorporates the new expandable accordion, which allows the user to see a high level summary of the sites included, while expanding to see each site’s full detail. The user will also be provided with better help text for the congressional district field.
Grant Runner: PHS 398 Research Plan Updates
The Introduction to Application attachment (item 1) will only display when the eGC1 Application Type is a Resubmission or Revision. This is to reduce confusion over when the attachment is to be used.
Grant Runner: SF 424 Updates
The SF 424 form incorporates some new design elements to provide a more streamlined user experience.
- Expandable accordions are used to initially hide from view the details of the standard read-only organization information on this form, so that users can more easily focus on the required entry fields.
- Sections are re-ordered slightly, to make for a more intuitive, logical flow.
Additional enhancements/updates to this form include:
- The “Total Federal Funds Requested” field will be defaulted based on the modular budget totals, to keep these numbers in sync
- The “Total Federal and Non-Federal Funds” field will now be auto-calculated
- Added informational text to read-only fields that are editable in the main eGC1 sections (e.g. Application Details, PI information)
- Various UW contact ZIP Codes will now be defaulted, based on the box number provided in the address
- Fixed a bug related to the length of the opportunity title
- Fixed a bug related to CFDA number not displaying
Grant Runner: Wizard Detail Manager Eliminated
User feedback indicated that the Wizard Detail Manager feature of Grant Runner was confusing and an additional burden to users, since the information editable through that section was data the users were accustomed to editing elsewhere for standard eGC1s. This feature will be removed from Grant Runner, and the affected data will be editable in the eGC1 instead.
- Application title, start and end dates, application type, and organization code are editable on the Details page.
- PI Details are editable on the PI and Personnel page.
- Opportunity information is incorporated on the Abstract & RFA/RFP page.
SAGE eGC1s and Approvals Search Enhancements
Users will see a few new search features available to them, on the eGC1 and Approvals task lists.
- Users will now be able to jump more directly to a particular eGC1 from their My eGC1s or My Approvals pages, using a new eGC1 search field located on the task lists.
- Users can now search in My Approvals by personnel name. Search results will include all eGC1s for which they are an approver or watcher, where the chosen person is listed on the PI & Personnel page regardless of role type.
- The PI Name field has been added back to the My eGC1s Advanced Search tool, to allow users to quickly enter all or part of a PI’s name and initiate a search. This feature was removed in January, when the Personnel Search feature was added, but by user request, both fields will now be available for those that like the speed of being able to quickly find eGC1s by PI name.
- When a user performs an Advanced Search from the My eGC1s task list, they will be able to export their search results to Excel.
Addition of University District Building to Location List
- The University District Building has been added to the off campus locations list found on the FG-2 compliance explanations section of the eGC1. It will now be easier for eGC1 Preparers to select that building when projects are eligible for the location designation of “off campus”, and will no longer need to enter the location address.
Suppression of HSD JIT and GIM 19 notifications for ATF and Industry Sponsored Clinical Trail eGC1s
- Human Subjects Just-In-Time email notifications and GIM 19 deadline email notifications will no longer be sent to contacts for eGC1s that are after-the-fact or industry sponsored clinical trials.
Updated handling when a user attempts to remove themself from an eGC1 or Budget
- When a user removes themself from an eGC1 or budget, they will now receive a warning, alerting them that their access to that eGC1 or budget may be affected. When a user removes their last access to an eGC1 or budget, they will now be redirected back to their task list.
Grant Runner Infrastructure Changes for better Supportability
- This Grant Runner release is focused primarily on infrastructure changes that will allow ORIS to better maintain this component of SAGE into the future, and to more rapidly expand the system to include new forms. These changes will be mostly transparent to users, aside from a few minor tweaks to look and feel.
Grant Runner – Disabling of the checkbox for optional forms while editing
- To prevent unintended errors and confusion, the optional forms check box will be disabled (cannot uncheck it) while the user has that form open for editing. This forces the user to close out of the form completely before they can take the action of unchecking the form and thereby removing it from the submission.
Grant Runner – Re-ordering of Mandatory Forms
- With the release of the form C changes, Grant Runner mandatory forms appear in a less-than-ideal order for users. We are bundling into this release the re-ordering of the forms, so that the SF 424 is always the first mandatory form shown.
Additional FG-3 compliance question validation for RRF eGC1s
- eGC1s that have Royalty Research Fund (RRF) as the sponsor will display a validation error if question FG-3, the question about F&A cost reimbursement, on the Compliance Questions page is marked as ‘Yes’. RRF requires FG-3 to always be marked as ‘No’, so this validation error is intended to ensure that the eGC1 preparer selects the correct response prior to completing the eGC1.
Increase character limit in “Reason” field when adding Approvers and Watchers
- The “Provide a reason” field when adding an Approver or Watcher on the Approval Flow Screen has been increased from 250 characters to 1000. Department and School reviewers who add additional Approvers and Watchers like to include detailed instructions in that comment box and needed a higher character limit.
We now will show all recipients on the TO line of SAGE auto-generated email notifications.
- SAGE users will be able to see all persons who received the same Auto-generated SAGE email on the TO: line of the email. This was a frequent request from campus through our help desk and survey responses.
Inadvertent sending of disclosure notifications
- Fixed the system to prevent investigators from receiving disclosure notifications when an old awarded eGC1 is opened. The system will now only trigger disclosure notifications when there is an investigator change made to the eGC1 (addition of an investigator or change of personnel to an investigator role).
HSD JIT email notifications are supressed for RRF eGC1s
- Human Subjects Just-In-Time emails will no longer be sent to the owners of eGC1s where the Royalty Research Fund (RRF) is the sponsor. RRF is an internal UW sponsor and operates differently than external sponsors. Unique characteristics of RRF opportunities include shorter application/review/award timelines and the lack of “fundable score” notifications. These unique characteristics therefore made the Human Subjects JIT email irrelevant and confusing for the owners of the eGC1.
New clarifying message displayed when clicking on Investigator Disclosure History and FIDS Profile is not yet established
- If an Investigator has never completed a disclosure in FIDS, or does not have any disclosure history for the past 12 months, a new user-friendly message stating there is no history will display when the Investigator Disclosure History link is clicked.
New error message displayed when you have attachment upload errors due to hidden or invalid characters in file name
- A new error message will display in SAGE if you attempt to upload eGC1 attachments with invalid characters in the file name. To correct this issue, rename the file on your computer by directly typing in the characters before attempting to upload it in SAGE.
Changes were made to several of the Grant Runner forms with the new Form Set C version.
- Performance Sites: You may now list up to 300 sites.
- PHS398 Checklist: This form will no longer be in the set. Its fields were moved to the PHS398 Cover Page Supplement.
- PHS398 Cover Page Supplement: You may now enter up to 200 stem cell lines. The fields from the Checklist form were moved to this form.
- PHS398 Research Plan: The Planned Enrollment and Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment attachments will become their own new online forms.
- RR Key Person Expanded: You may now add up to 100 key persons.
- RR SF424: There is a new, required field for Change/Corrected applications, “Previous Grants.gov Tracking ID.” The Cover Letter attachment will be moved to this form.
- Cumulative Inclusion Enrollment: This is a new, optional form where you can enter enrollment data directly. This form replaces the corresponding attachment on the Research Plan.
- Planned Enrollment: This is a new, optional online form where you will be able to enter enrollment data directly. This form replaces the corresponding attachment on the Research Plan.
- Cover Letter: The form will no longer appear; its attachment will be added to the RR SF424 form.
Notification dates were added to the PI & Personnel page.
- To help administrators know when to follow up with investigators, the PI & Personnel Page now displays the date when each investigator was notified by SAGE email to create a disclosure for an eGC1 and when the eGC1 reaches the Just in Time (JIT) phase.
- We fixed several bugs related to PI Assurance so that PI Assurance values will be retained and displayed appropriately. We also corrected all of the eGC1s that were affected by the bugs.
In SAGE Budget, we revised how calculations are made for salary distributions.
- In the March 2013 release, we revised salary calculations to include additional earn types. We found a few rare cases where SAGE Budget lists inaccurate salaries when the salary distributions have not yet been entered into the HR database. We have now revised SAGE Budget to account for the distributions which are not in the database.
We updated our tools’ styles.
To ensure that our tools have a more consistent look and are easier to maintain, we made some changes in our code. In some newer browsers, you may notice slightly different colors, rounded corners, and other minor changes. The changes were made in the following tools:
- SAGE – System to Administer Grants Electronically
- FIDS – Financial Interest Disclosure System
- SPAERC – Sponsored Projects Administration & Electronic Research Compliance (for OSP)
- SERA – System for Electronic Research Accounting (for GCA)
SAGE Budget: Preliminary Benefit Rates are now available to users of SAGE Budget.
- GIM 3 has been updated to display both current benefit rates and preliminary benefit rates for future budgeting as they become available.
- SAGE Budget will use the correct rate based on the period start date and whether the user has opted to use current and preliminary rates or current-only rates.
- Budget preparers can use a global update feature to update their budgets quickly when preliminary rates become available each year.
- The period entry page for a given person will indicate whether the rate being used is current or preliminary for that period.
An ASTRA information page will display instead of an error message at sign in.
- When you attempt to log in to SAGE without the required ASTRA role, SAGE will display a list of people in your unit who can authorize access to SAGE. You able to choose an authorizer and send him or her a message to request access to SAGE.
Designated Subcontract Actions (SA) attachments are viewable in SAGE.
- Subcontracts Actions (SA) attachments will now be viewable in the Related Documents section of the Attached Documents page if the SA is in Active or Closed-Out status and if the type of attachment is not a To/From Communication.
EH&S has a new compliance question: “Will the project involve scientific diving?”
- Anyone diving under the University of Washington’s auspices must have current certification as a University of Washington Scientific Diver and adhere to the standards set forth in the UW’s Diving Safety Manual. EH&S will contact you to assist in meeting Diving Safety Program requirements prior to diving.
These changes were made as a result of introducing the new Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS) which integrates with SAGE.
On the eGC1 PI & Personnel page:
- eGC1 Preparers can select Investigator status.
- Disclosure notifications to investigators to complete a disclosure in FIDS can now be sent.
- Each investigator’s SFI status will display based on the information in FIDS.
- The PHS FCOI training status will display.
- The FIDS disclosure status will display.
- Changes may be made to the PI or personnel after the eGC1 has been approved by OSP.
- The history of any post-approval PI or personnel changes will be displayed.
On the Certify & Route page:
- An eGC1 cannot be completed until all investigators have received disclosure notifications.
- The Ready to Submit question cannot be answered as “Yes” until all investigators have completed their disclosures in FIDS.
SAGE Budget: When a line item is deleted from the budget worksheet, the page refreshes to reflect the change. However, if a budget has Targets & Limits enabled, the F&A values displayed are not immediately updated. The next time the page is refreshed, the displayed F&A values will be correct, and the Total Project Costs will include the F&A change.
The UW Box Number is Now a Required Field
When a user chooses the Organization Code Receiving Funding, the UW Box Number will be automatically populated. Users can still edit the field as needed.