Sync SAGE Budget to Grant Runner RR Detailed Budget
eGC1 preparers using Grant Runner now have a new feature that allows them to sync a connected SAGE Budget to the NIH RR Detailed Budget. This capability provides a more streamlined experience for preparers by reducing redundant entry. It also eliminates the need for reviewers to cross check the various parts of the application where budget data is stored.
- Personnel and expense data flows directly from SAGE Budget to RR Detailed Budget, when connected.
- When updates are made to a connected SAGE Budget the changes will automatically flow to the RR Detailed budget.
- On the new Sponsor Budget Map page on the left navigation, the following actions can be taken:
- View or change the default flow of data from SAGE Budget to the RR Detailed Budget
- Define custom personnel roles and custom categories for other direct costs
- Customize the order of Personnel with an easy drag & drop feature
- Identify Participant Support Costs, and associated numbers of participants
- When users disconnect a SAGE Budget they have the option to keep or clear the data in the eGC1 budget page and the RR Detailed Budget.
What to expect
Connecting your SAGE Budget to a Grant Runner eGC1 with an RR Detailed Budget form triggers the two budgets to sync. When the sync occurs a new Sponsor Budget Map page displays on the left navigation menu and the RR Detailed Budget form becomes read-only. Changes to where the data flows to on the RR Detailed Budget can be made on the Sponsor Budget Map page. Additions and deletions of expenses or changes to expense amounts will be made on the SAGE Budget. The Budget Justification attachment will still be attached on the RR Detailed Budget directly.
- Finance & Administrative (F&A) flows to section H. Indirect Costs on the RR Detailed Budget with one row per distinct F&A rate and base type combination.
- The Sponsor Budget Map displays how data flows from SAGE Budget to RR Detailed Budget. SAGE Budget expense items are grouped into sections by Object code. Within each section they are ordered by sub-object code. SAGE Budget data is displayed on the left side of the page. The RR Detailed Budget expense category to which the expense will flow is shown on the right side.
- Reorder Personnel. Use the drag and drop functionality in the Salaries and Wages section of the Sponsor Budget Map page for easy reordering of Senior/Key personnel.
- Define Custom Personnel Roles. Drop-down menus allow for remapping to several default personnel project roles or you can create a custom role.
- Change Defaulted Data Flow. Many expense categories can be changed to flow the data from SAGE Budget to an alternate category on the RR Detailed Budget. Use the drop-down menus at right to specify any changes to the flow.
SAGE Budget Changes (Enablers)
The following changes were made to SAGE Budget, in order to fully meet the data needs of the RR Detailed Budget.
- Application PI Role Added. Users will now see the Application PI role available in the personnel section of SAGE Budget. Personnel assigned to the role Application PI on the SAGE Budget will flow through to the RR Detailed Budget as the Principal Investigator (PD/PI). If the SAGE Budget had a PI listed in addition to the Application PI, the PI will flow to the RR Detailed Budget under the role of Faculty, and that role can be modified on the Sponsor Budget Map if necessary.
- Additional Role Updates. The Fellow role is no longer available in SAGE budget. , iInstead new roles have been added to match those in the RR Detailed Budget. The new roles include: Faculty, Post Doctoral Associate, Graduate Student, Undergraduate Student, Secretarial/Clerical.
- TBD & Non-UW Personnel: Monthly Salaries Now Editable. In order to identify Base Salary on the RR Detailed budget for TBD and Non-UW Personnel, the UW Monthly Salary and Clinical Monthly Salary fields are now editable in the SAGE Budget personnel entry section (for TBD and Non-UW Personnel entries only).
- Travel Destination Logic Modified. In order to improve data quality and reduce the need for adjustments to the budget, the travel destination (domestic or foreign) will now default based on the sub-object code chosen by the user. If “foreign” is explicitly referenced in the sub-object code name, then “foreign” will become the defaulted destination location. Users can adjust the destination as needed for sub-objects codes that could apply to either.
- Sub-Object Codes added. A detailed analysis comparing sub-objects codes between the Finance System and & Sage was completed, and the missing object codes were added to SAGE Budget to keep the two systems synchronized.
- Improved Error Messages. Validation messages on the RR Detailed Budget have been improved to now include the specific period and section that requires the user’s attention.
- Validation Icons Added. The Sponsor Budget Map has the same validation icons as the rest of Grant Runner. If there are unmapped items on the Sponsor Budget Map the user will see red exclamation points on the individual sections to indicate which section needs their attention. Once in the section the field in question is highlighted red. When the mapping issue has been resolved, the validation icon will turn to a green checkmark.
Help Documentation and Resources
The SAGE User Guide has been updated with detailed instructions for the Budget Sync feature. Users can access it by clicking on the help icon (?) on the Sponsor Budget Map page and on the RR Detailed Budget form. SAGE 102 courses will also include a section on the Budget Sync feature and using the Sponsor Budget Map.