November 28, 2023
Tips for Success – Award Setup and Modifications Requests in SAGE
This page includes tips for successfully completing Award Setup and Modification Requests in SAGE. Guidance here was compiled collaboratively by the Office of Sponsored Programs and Grant & Contract Accounting.
Jump to Sections:
- Award Setup Requests
- Comments & History
- SAGE Budget Worksheets
- Returned Items
- Resources and Links
Award Setup Requests
If you (campus) receive the Notice of Award (NoA), whether or not OSP is included, you should create the Award Setup Request (ASR) in SAGE as soon as possible. If you’ve received and ASR from OSP, refer to our FAQ: What do I do when I receive an Award Setup Request created by OSP?”
- Supporting Attachments:
- Award documentation and any sponsor correspondence that accompany award document
- Documentation when there is a sponsor deadline for accepting an award
- Compliance documentation (IRB/IACUC)
- Comments & History:
- Include sponsor contact information
- Provide more information about your request such as an explanation that may help reviewers understand what you are requesting
Review more on How to get an Award Setup at the UW.
Use the Modification Request (OSP/GCA) for all changes that require sponsor approval, an authorized official signature, or review from the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).
Use Modification Request (GCA) for requests that do not need OSP review and can be submitted directly to Grant & Contract Accounting (GCA).
- Select at least one modification category, and all that apply
- For example, Funding & Budget Change, Schedule Change, Other Changes, etc.
- Comments: indicate what type of changes you are asking for in the comments field, add any other relevant information that will help OSP or GCA complete your request
- Confirm you have updated any relevant fields and attachments needed to complete your request
- Complete and attach relevant forms, such as Extension or Change of PI, or sponsor
Review more details on:
Comments & History
Use the Comments & History section to provide additional details and explanations for your request. Appropriate comments can help ensure OSP and GCA have a clearer understanding of your request and may help reduce returns
- Provide sponsor contact information when request needs to be sent to the sponsor by an Authorized Organization Representative (AOR), at the UW this is OSP
- Include comments on relevant compliance information
Be aware of character limits in the comment fields:
- Comments allow for 1000 characters
- Returns and resubmitted items:
- When GCA returns an item, 300 character limit
- When campus resubmits an item, 300 character limit
- Review the Comments & History section for information about why the request was returned.
- Address reasons an item was returned before sending it back to OSP or GCA.
SAGE Budget Worksheets
- Principal Investigator: Enter a named Principal Investigator for each SAGE Budget worksheet, even if they are not supported by the award.
- This populates Workday Principal Investigator (Grant) field.
- Cost Center Receiving Funding: Enter the Cost Center Receiving Funding on the Award Setup Request and all worksheets.
- Worksheet Security Grant Hierarchy: Enter the security hierarchy into the Worksheet Security Grant Hierarchy field for all budget worksheets.
- Sponsored Program Activity (SPA) Type: Ensure the SPA type on budget worksheets matches the Award Setup Request SPA type, unless there’s a legitimate reason for them to be different (e.g. sponsored program award includes multiple SPA types).
- Worksheet Periods: SAGE Budget worksheet periods should match, or be within, the Award Setup Request Current Period Start Date and the Current Period End Date.
- Award Lines: Create and include separate worksheets for anything that needs to be on a separate award line in Workday, including subawards, equipment fabrication, or multiple F&A rates.
Resources and Links
- Setup Financials – includes Award Setup Workflow, How to get an award setup at the UW, and more…
- Grant & Contract Accounting Award Setup Request process
- Manage Award Changes – includes guidance for Award Modification Requests and required information for each request type
- Grant and Contract Accounting – Modifications
- GCA Urgent Requests
- OSP Urgent Requests – Award Setup, Modifications, and Subawards
- SAGE Budget Job Aid
- Updated SAGE Budget eLearning
- SAGE Office Hours – a great place to get help on your questions or challenges using SAGE, with representatives from the Office of Sponsored Programs and Grant & Contract Accounting along with members of the SAGE Team
- 11/15/2023 – links to urgent request guidance for both GCA & OSP added
- 11/06/2023- Incorporated broader instructions and additional resources to improve clarity.
- Original publication: 9/11/2023