Vision and Mission
The Office of Research will create an outstanding climate of support for University of Washington researchers, broadly enabling stellar research advances.
To enable the achievement of excellence by the research community, the Office of Research:
- Partners with the research community to create a culture of high achievement
- Promotes shared responsibility, the ethical conduct of research, and compliance
- Enhances researchers’ abilities to obtain and manage grants
- Strategically invests in promising research and researchers
- Creates integrated services, transparent research administration, infrastructure, and streamlined processes
- Advocates for the needs of the UW research community
- Broadens awareness of the value of UW research
- Develops strong relationships with sponsors
- Enhances the ability to perform research in a global community
- Supports strong infrastructure for interdisciplinary research
Office of Research Values and Guiding Principles
- We are committed to treating each other, our process partners and others we work with, as valued colleagues, guided by open communication, collaboration, partnership, integrity and respect in order to achieve our common goals.
- We believe that our employees are our most valuable asset and we strive to recognize the dedication, expertise, hard work and creativity among members of our Office of Research community.
- We are committed to providing a culture of continuous learning for all OR staff and the campus at large to foster a high level of expertise and provide the tools necessary for high performance.
- We support a work/life balance for all the employees in our organization.
- We encourage innovation, reflective thinking, flexibility and adaptability in our approaches to our work, in alignment with our mission to create client-centered services.
- We make our decisions with openness and honesty, and to enhance the value of the organization campus-wide.
- We promote responsible research practices in alignment with ethical principles and compliance regulations.
- We encourage and promote open communication both within the Office of Research and with process partners and campus.
- We build strong relationships with existing and potential sponsors
- We join our research community in communicating the benefits of research to the state community, the nation and the world.
- We value and welcome a diversity of staff, as an organization that is enriched by a multitude of perspectives and experiences.
- We are committed to developing a range of resources and strategies designed to provide the highest level of quality services possible to the research community that positions the UW research program for a successful future.
- We see our role in the future of the UW as making it easier for researchers to carry out their research by being responsive, proactive and innovative
- We are committed to supporting the research effort at the UW, balancing service and compliance in a mutually beneficial approach.
Strategic Goals and Objectives
Add Value to the Overall Research Experience
- Provide exceptional research administrative services while effectively managing risks and opportunities
- Develop strategies and a plan for open and clear communication
- Improve access to key information
- Improve researcher productivity and satisfaction by reducing administrative burden
- Decrease barriers to collaboration
Achieve Operational Excellence
- Streamline business processes
- Develop effective relationships with process partners and the campus research community
- Identify and adapt best practices
- Promote a culture of continuous process improvement
- Embrace a culture of transparency and accountability
- Strategically analyze risks and benefits
Attract & Retain Top, Diverse Staff
- Cultivate an environment that stimulates, challenges and grows staff knowledge, skills and competencies through continuous learning
- Encourage staff engagement and participation at all levels of process improvement and achievement of OR goals
- Develop OR leaders and career paths for promoting upward mobility within the organization.
Add Value to the UW
- Work within the campus community and at a national and international level to impact UW-wide strategic initiatives, strategic research directions and policies
- Improve recruitment and retention of top faculty
- Improve integration of research and education
- Improve translation of research into the public benefit
- Promote and enhance cross-cutting research initiatives
- Increase and diversify external research funding