Faculty Funding & Research Resources
Diversity Funding Resources
Startup Funds for Hiring DEI STEM Faculty
- DEI STEM Faculty Recruitment Initiative
- Startup funds to assist in hiring faculty at the UW Seattle campus.
- Funds are reserved for recruitment of faculty in the STEM disciplines (broadly defined) with a proven history of supporting and mentoring BIPOC students, post-docs, and/or early-career colleagues; conducting research that benefits underrepresented or underserved communities, and/or significantly participating in programs and activities that are aimed at increasing diversity and inclusion in their field
- UW Graduate School fellowships
- The GO-MAP program in the Graduate School offers Fellowships and Awards for underrepresented graduate students.
- UW Seed Grants
- Small grants that support projects for institutional transformation across the University of Washington’s tri-campus community that align with the goals of the 2017-2021 UW Diversity Blueprint.
- Washington Sea Grant Keystone Fellowship program
- An annual award for individuals who are historically underrepresented in marine science, policy and related industry careers
- NEW NSF funding opportunity: Mathematical & Physical Sciences Ascending Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (MPS-Ascend)
- Support postdoctoral Fellows who will broaden the participation of groups that are underrepresented in MPS fields in the U.S. including Blacks or African Americans, Hispanics, Latinos, and Native Americans (to include Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians or other Native Pacific Islanders) as future leaders in MPS fields
- The program funds postdoctoral Fellows in postdoctoral research environments that will have maximal impact on their future scientific development and facilitates their transition into a faculty appointment.
- The program is intended to recognize beginning investigators of significant potential and provide them with experience in research that will broaden perspectives, facilitate interdisciplinary interactions and help broadening participation within MPS fields.
- Corporate and Foundation DEI Funding Opportunities
- Current open opportunities for DEI focused funding opportunities for which UW faculty, researchers and programs may be eligible
- NIH Diversity Supplements
- NIH provides supplemental funding to existing NIH grants to promote diversity of the research workforce, focused on faculty and trainees who have been traditionally underrepresented in health-related research: NIH Research Supplements to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research (PA-20-166). Materials from a recent workshop on applying for such supplements is available here, including a presentation from Lynn Morin from NIH.
- Burroughs Wellcome Post-doctoral Enrichment Program
- $20,000 per year for three years to provide enrichment activities for underrepresented minority postdocs engaged in biomedical or medical research. Eligibility: must have no more than 36 months of postdoctoral research experience (in a research laboratory) at the time of application and not be more than 5 years from the Ph.D.
- NSF INCLUDES seeks to improve collaborative efforts aimed at enhancing the preparation, increasing the participation, and ensuring the contributions of individuals from groups that have been historically underrepresented and underserved in the STEM enterprise.
Resources for Undergraduate Research
- Summer Research
- Summer research programs provide opportunities for students to engage in immersive research experiences. URP helps students to plan for summer research, find programs, and apply to programs at UW and elsewhere. (See a URP adviser or attend a Summer Research Program Information Session.)