Certificate in Research Administration
About This Certificate
Gain a foundational understanding of research administration practices, policies and resources at the UW. This Certificate Program will support campus departments and central units to align practices, share expertise across units, and support UW learners in forging career pathways for themselves.
Who should pursue this Certificate?
The certificate can be useful to all audiences. Experienced administrators may want to refresh their knowledge in foundational areas covered by the certificate while staff who are new to research administration, or staff with experience in research administration elsewhere who are new to the UW can establish a solid foundation of knowledge on which to build on their careers in research administration at the UW.
Six Steps to Completing the Certificate
- Review the CORE Certificate Curriculum Guide webpage to understand the requirements for the Certificate in Research Administration.
- Enroll in the Certificate in Research Administration by registering on the CORE registration page.
- Download the CORE Certificate Curriculum Planner to track learning.
- Register for coursework through the CORE registration page.
- Complete all required and elective Certificate coursework. To receive a Certificate, learners must complete the coursework within five years from the date of the first course.
- When you have completed all coursework (required and elective) submit a request for a final Certificate audit to the CORE Program Manager who will respond within two weeks to confirm your completion of the Certificate.
How much will this coursework cost me or my department?
This Certificate is offered completely free of charge! There will never be a cost associated with any CORE coursework.
How many hours/credits will it take to complete the Certificate?
- Complete 22 hours of required coursework.
- Complete a minimum of 6 credits of elective coursework (each class = 1 credit). (Note: as of 9/1/21 CORE instituted a program change to move from counting hours to credits. This was necessary to update our systems for tracking completions.)
How long do I have to complete the Certificate?
To receive a Certificate, learners must complete the coursework within five years from the date of the first course. (We strongly recommend starting with Introduction to Research Administration.) For instance, the Certificate honors coursework taken from Fall 2016 forward, so students who started the Certificate with courses from Fall 2016 need to complete their certificate by Fall 2021 or they will need to update courses taken during 2016.
How do I track my progress?
There are two ways to track your Certificate coursework:
Cancellation and Late Arrival Policies
- Cancellation is required no less than three days prior to the class start date. You are required to contact Core Help if the cancellation is less than three days. These courses are in high demand and your cancellation will create space for another attendee.
- Learners who miss more than 15 minutes of class will not receive course credit.
Can I receive prior credit for other courses taken at the UW or elsewhere?
UW Professional and Organization Development (POD) courses of the same course title and content will be accepted towards this Certificate (subject to review by the CORE Learning Manager). Please submit POD transcript to CORE Help and request a review from the CORE Learning Manager.
To ensure that knowledge gained in pursuit of the Certificate is current, consistent and relevant, no other prior experience assessments will apply.
“When people or organizations have invested in themselves,
their skills and their experience, it pays off. Ultimately, developing a well-thought-out certification program helps an organization’s employees, customers and members advance the organization’s interests, as well as their own. “
(http://certmag.com/were-certifiable-creating-a-certification-program/Benefits of Certification)