PI Resources Quick Start
For important information on the changes coming with UWFT, visit UWFT for Principal Investigators.
Resources and guidance to support your research at the UW.
- New to UW Research: Get started in Research at the UW
- Units and UW Research Partners: Office of Research Units and UW Research Partners
- MyResearch Project Lifecycle: Activities typically involved in a research project – the activities may be programmatic (scientific) or administrative in nature, or both
- ORCID iDs: An Overview for Researchers: Learn about ORCID iDs, their use in research, and how to register.
Resources Organized by the Research Project Lifecycle
- Step by Step Proposal Submission Quick Guide: Walk through UW administrative aspects of the proposal submission process
- Funding Opportunities: Internal and external funding opportunities
- Limited Submissions: Grants, awards and fellowships that limit the number of applications coming from one institution
- Determining between a sponsored program, gift or service activity
- UW Approved Sponsored Research Agreement Template
- Proposal Development Resources: Project management tools for proposal development
- Budget Development including guidance on System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE) Overview
- Institutional Facts and Rates: Institutional codes, numbers, facts, & rates for UW research including items like Benefit Rates, Facilities & Administrative Rates, Contacts & Mailing Addresses, and more…
- Submitting Proposals: Routing proposals, overview of internal deadlines, what to expect from OSP review
- System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE) Overview
- Recruit Team
- Personnel: PI Eligibility is determined by schools and colleges
- Who is considered an investigator and needs to disclose Significant Financial Interest
- Find Collaborators
- Subrecipient, Contractor/Vendor, Consultant?
- Current and Pending, or other Support
- Human Subjects Division Researcher Guide
- Acquire your ORCID (Open Researcher & Contributor ID): unique researcher identifier
- Complete Grants Management for Investigators (GMI) course required for PIs (faculty and non-faculty) no later than twelve months following submission of their first proposal, though recommended soon upon arrival at the UW
- Complete Financial Conflicts of Interest training
- Agreement Considerations
- Agreement Types: Provides information on a variety of agreement types, their purpose, and contact instructions. Includes Data Use Agreements, Confidentiality Agreements, and more…
- Subawards: Guidance on incoming and outgoing subawards
- Information, Privacy and Security
- Subrecipient, Contractor/Vendor, Consultant?
- Information Privacy and Security
- Manage your Effort Reporting
- Award Changes: Provides guidance on managing programmatic changes, requesting prior approval, requesting no cost extensions, and more…
- Publishing and Sharing Research Data: Library Guide of resources related to the many aspects of research data management. Data management encompasses the processes surrounding collecting, organizing, describing, sharing, and preserving data.
- MyResearch Training Transcript (MRTT): Transcript of your required training completions and requirements
- Required Research Training: A dynamic resource to assist researchers and their teams in identifying Required Research Trainings
- Grants Management for Investigators (GMI): Required for PIs (faculty and non-faculty) no later than twelve months following submission of their first proposal, though recommended soon upon arrival at the UW
- Responsible Conduct of Research: Information regarding sponsor requirements, and University offerings, for Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) Training.
- Introduction to Research Administration: Survey course designed to help individuals build a foundational body of knowledge within research administration at the UW
- Zipline: Help on using the Human Subjects Division’s e-IRB system, the portal for viewing and managing all of your IRB applications
- IRB 101 Online Tutorial: Covers the basics of human subjects research and provides important practical information about navigating the IRB process at UW
- Foreign Interests in Sponsored Programs
- Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI): The FCOI Policy, Grants Information Memorandum (GIM) 10, establishes guidelines for disclosure of Significant Financial Interests and management of Financial Conflicts of Interests in research, sponsored programs, and technology transfer activities at the University.
- Faculty Effort Reporting: Faculty Effort Certification (FEC) reports provide required supporting documentation for salaries charged to sponsored projects.
- Establish a Research Center or Institute: The approval process for naming a center or institute
- Shared Research Facilities and Resources: Listing of services and equipment available to the UW research community
- Research Centers and Institutes
- Cost Share: Explaining cost share