- Get access to UW and Sponsor systems early.
- Review sponsor requirements.
- UW system authorizations, including access to SAGE, are managed within your department through ASTRA.
- Talk to your department Administrator and visit sponsor websites for more information.
The System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE) is an internal UW compliance and approval routing system. All sponsored program proposals must be reviewed and approved by campus units, appropriate compliance offices and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).
OSP requires an eGC1 for:
- Pre-applications, Pre-proposals, Letters of Intent / Interest requiring authorized official (AO) submission/sign-off or that contain budget details. Internal GIM 19 deadlines apply.
- Proposals for Research, Instruction and Other Sponsored Activity (Competing, Supplemental).
- Non-competing renewals (e.g. progress reports) that require authorized official submission or sign-off. Review When do I need to prepare an eGC1 for progress reports?
- Revised applications (replacing most or all of previously submitted proposal).
- After-the-Fact agreements or awards review ATF eGC1 Process and GIM 1
- Non-Award agreements: an agreement between UW and another party, related to research that obligates UW resources or otherwise makes legal obligations on behalf of the University and does not include external funding, requiring institutional sign-off. Review more information on Agreement Types and NAA eGC1 instructions.
Another eGC1 is required, even if there is an eGC1 on file when:
- The cumulative amount of an award exceeds by 25% or more the cumulative amount of the eGC1 or eGC1s on file.
- The PI or sponsor determines there is a significant change in the scope of work:
- A change in direction, aims, objectives, purposes, or types of research.
- Addition of compliance requirements not represented in an earlier eGC1, such as animal or human subjects or cost share.
OSP will determine if unique situations not described here require an eGC1.
Providing full and accurate information on the eGC1 facilitates proposal review and central office review at time of award.
Review resources relevant to your proposal:
Budget and fiscal information provided on an eGC1 are an important review criteria.
Proposal Budget Development
How to apply F&A in proposal budgets
Including Administrative Support?
Is Cost Share required by the Sponsor or committed in proposal?
Budget justifications are an important part of review
Human Subjects Research (HSR):
If the project involves interaction with Human Subjects, or identifiable data or specimens from human subjects, review Human Subjects Research Considerations for proposals.
At the time of award you may need Institutional Review Board (IRB) review.
Does your project involve UW Medicine clinical services or clinical space as a site of patient care, or includes medical treatment of a patient by a UW Physicians provider?
Review Clinical Research Budgeting & Billing (CRBB) guidance.
Does your research involve the use of vertebrate animals?
Institutional information such as UW’s PHS assurance number and AAALAC accreditation information can be found on OAW’s Institutional Compliance page. Review more information on OAW’s grant review process.
Contact OAW with any questions.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S):
Research that involves Biohazards, Select Agents & Toxins, Radioactive Material, Scuba Diving or that may have Chemical Thresholds have regulations and approvals that must be in place to perform the work.
Select Agents and Toxins:
UW Researchers working with select agents and toxins are required to enroll in the UW Select Agent Program before receiving the agents. EH&S will work with PIs to obtain necessary federal clearances, approvals, and training. Documentation of due diligence is required for any transfer of Select Toxins in any amount.
Radiation Use Authorization (RUA), issued to the Principal Investigator (PI), must sufficiently cover the proposed radioactive material work before EH&S will approve the proposal in SAGE.
Current certification as a UW Scientific Diver and strict adherence to the UW’s Diving Safety Manual is required for anyone diving under the UW auspices. Review the UW Diving Safety Program for more information.
EH&S will contact you for planning assistance as fire department requirements may not allow these quantities in your space or may require building modifications.
Contact EH&S with questions.
Equipment & Materials:
Tangible items involved in a project, such as equipment and biological materials may have export control and budgetary implications as well as informing protections or licensing that need to be in place for sharing outside UW.
If University-owned biological materials will be provided to non-UW parties, including sponsor (such as cell lines, cultures, bacteria, nucleotides, proteins, transgenic animals, pharmaceuticals, or chemicals etc.): Review Material Transfer Agreement FAQs
Sharing or shipping items to foreign locations or with foreign nationals?
Review Export Control Measures
Contact email@example.com with questions
Data & Technology:
If and how specific types of information and technologies will be involved may determine if special guidelines or restrictions apply.
Review information for:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Industry Sponsors and Intellectual Property
Will your work with an Industry Sponsor potentially involve licensing of intellectual property? If you need further information on options for providing intellectual property rights to the sponsor, review the Washington Innovation Advantage Program (WIAP) or contact email@example.com with questions.
By approving an eGC1 for submission, PIs makes assurances and certification to the UW about the proposal for routing and submission. These assurances reflect the PIs intent to adhere to federal, state, UW and sponsor policies that apply to the proposal.
When SAGE Grant Runner is not an option for proposal submission, OSP reviews proposals within sponsor systems as well as within SAGE.
More information GIM 1: Review & Submission Requirements for Proposals
FAQ: Is my eGC1 ready?
In addition to ensuring your proposals are prepared according to sponsor requirements and submission deadlines, the UW has internal submission deadlines that must be followed for proposals requesting external support.
Meeting Internal Submission Deadlines
7 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadlines
Route proposal drafts, final administrative and business elements within SAGE along with any supporting documents that need to be reviewed internally.
3 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadlines
All final proposal materials to all external sponsors (including collaborators) must be:
- Attached to the eGC1 and the eGC1 marked Ready to Submit (RTS)
- Attached in any corresponding sponsor systems.
- “In OSP” status by 5pm, three business days before the sponsor deadline.
Sponsor Due Date
GIM 19 Deadline
|Thursday by 5 pm PST||Preceding Monday by 5pm PST|
|Wednesday by midnight PST and preceding Monday is a holiday||Preceding Thursday by 5pm PST (Monday is not a business day)|
|Wednesday by 2 pm, EST (11 am PST)||Preceding Friday by 5 pm PST|
|Friday by 5 pm EST (2 pm PST)||Preceding Tuesday by 5 pm PST|
|Friday, no specific time or time zone mentioned||Preceding Tuesday by 5 pm PST|
Follow any additional School & College or department requirements.
Ready to submit (RTS) means the eGC1 has a complete proposal in final format, ready for submission to the sponsor. This includes all required sponsor forms, components, sections, and attachments, per sponsor program announcement and policy.
RTS proposals must have:
- Documents attached in the order required by the sponsor
- Ready to Submit question on the eGC1 is marked “Yes”
- The eGC1 in “In OSP” status.
- The PI has given OSP access to the proposal in the sponsor system (e.g., Fastlane, proposalCentral, eRA Commons etc), if applicable.
An eGC1 does not have to be marked “Yes” RTS to be reviewed by OSP. It does have to be marked “Yes” RTS to be submitted to the sponsor.
FAQ: Is my eGC1 ready?
New / Competing Renewals
Your OSP reviewer will respond within 2 business days of an eGC1 being “In OSP” status. It will:
- Have a status update or,
- Be reviewed and returned with OSP review comments or,
- Submitted, if no changes needed and marked “RTS”
OSP Review Comments: Required and Recommended Changes
If parts of the proposal or eGC1 need revision, OSP will email comments to the PI and eGC1 Administrative Contacts and return the eGC1 to the PI.
These comments will be marked as Required or Recommended Changes.
- Required Changes must be made before submission to the Sponsor.
- Recommended Changes are recommended based on OSP review.
All changes and a RTS proposal on an eGC1 and in a sponsor system, if applicable, must be “In OSP” by 5 pm 3 business days before the sponsor deadline, or you will need to request a GIM 19 Waiver.
eGC1s with significant differences from the attached proposal, where OSP does not have access to a proposal in the sponsor system or eGC1s that do not contain a proposal will be returned to the department without review by OSP until these issues are corrected by the department.