An incoming subaward is when another institution (pass-through entity) receives funding and issues a subaward to the UW (subrecipient) for a portion of the project.
Review information for setting up an incoming subaward.
You can request an outgoing subaward via SAGE once you have received your prime award and the associated UW budget number.
- Gain practice using the self-directed subaward scenarios in the SAGE training site.
- Review the SAGE Subaward Quick Guide
- Register to attend a Subawards in SAGE or Subaward Fundamentals training course
Create and Submit Requests in SAGE:
Login to SAGE and select the “subawards” tab.
- Is this a new subaward? Use “create subaward”
- Is an existing subaward being amended? Use “create modification”
- Include Ariba Contract Request (CR) or Blanket Purchase Order (BPO) number
- Attach required documents
- Submit to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
NEW subaward requests must have:
- Letter of Intent (LOI) or subrecipient face page signed by authorizing official
- Subaward Scope of Work (SOW) that includes background info/objectives and a clear description of the work to be performed
- Detailed budget on prime sponsor budget form or spreadsheet, and
- Budget Justification that ties specifically to the budget line items.
Modification requests must include backup documents for the requested changes.
- Is funding being added? Provide a detailed budget.
- Is the Scope of Work being changed? Provide a new Scope of Work.
The subrecipient negotiated F&A rate agreement may also be required.
When establishing subawards, there are many compliance areas to consider. For example, human subjects and animal use protocols must be in place for subrecipient entities to engage in these types of research.
- Non-Financial Compliance Requirements
- GIM 7: Sponsored Program Subaward Administration
- GIM 8: Subrecipient Monitoring
New BPO Requests with Carryforward
When approving a Subaward BPO in Ariba, UW Procurement confirms the totals in Ariba match the subaward total in SAGE. If you request a new BPO for a subsequent budget period that includes carryforward from the previous year’s BPO, include an explanation in the comments of the new BPO.
Forms, Tools, and Resources
- Outgoing Subaward Roles and Responsibilities
- Subrecipient Certification Form – Project Specific
- New Subrecipient Entity Certification Form
- IT Connect: ASTRA Access Management
- Procurement Services: Blanket Purchase Orders (BPO)
- Subawards Documents Tracker
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- What is a Subaward and a Subrecipient?
- Subrecipient, Contractor/Vendor, Consultant?
- Subaward Contacts Attachment 3b – FDP template