UW Research

Agreement Types


Many types of agreements related to research & sponsored activity are sent to Principal Investigators (PIs) and University of Washington (UW) personnel.

Review the Agreement Types Decision table to help determine where to send them.

General Principles:

  • Make sure you understand what the agreement is trying to achieve before forwarding to another UW office.
  • Document titles might not describe an agreement accurately.
  • UW Presidential Order #34 describes the process of making proposals to external entities for research, other sponsored activity (Sponsored Programs) as well as the acceptance of grants or contracts.
  • The University of Washington’s legal advisor is the Washington Attorney General. Only the holder of that office and their delegates can provide legal opinions to the University
  • Review UW agreement considerations

If multiple types of transactions are involved, contact the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) at osp@uw.edu.

When do I need to use an eGC1?
Non-Award Agreement eGC1 Instructions
Review ATF eGC1 process for awards & agreements.

Agreement Types Decision Table

What transaction is contemplated? UW Office Contact Instructions Agreement Type
Provide tangible material (e.g. such as cell lines, cultures, bacteria, nucleotides, proteins, transgenic animals, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals) from or to the University from or to an outside entity. Does it also:

  • Contain a significant number of research terms (payment, publication, collaboration etc.)?
  • Impact terms and conditions of an existing sponsored research agreement?
  • Constitute an amendment, change, or addition to an existing sponsored research agreement?

If so, contact OSP, otherwise, contact CoMotion. Review MTA FAQs from CoMotion.

Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)
Restrict the further disclosure and potential use by a recipient of non-tangible information.

These agreements are often presented for signature in order for parties to share information with each other when considering a grantor/grantee relationship.

Does it also relate to an existing sponsored program or specifically intended to result in a sponsored program? Contact OSP, or the investigator may sign strictly in their own capacity.

Is the information to be shared a potential UW innovation? Or related to the activities of CoMotion? Contact CoMotion.

NOT for research or other sponsored program? Contact your Departmental Chair or department authorized signing authority.

Confidential Disclosure Agreement/ Non-Disclosure Agreement (CDA/NDA)
Also can be called a Proprietary Information Agreement (PIA)
Transfer of data collected or developed, as opposed to other types of information.

The data being transferred is subject to restriction for regulatory purposes and not typically for proprietary interests.

Does it also:

  • Relate to an existing sponsored program or intended to result in a sponsored program?
  • Regard access to large dataset repositories (such as dbGaP) or require institutional official (OSP) sign-off in order to access the data?

Contact OSP.

NOTE: Human Subjects Division (HSD) review is required to submit datasets to repositories. Contact the Human Subjects Division.

NOT for research or other sponsored program? Contact your Departmental Chair or department authorized signing authority.

Data Use Agreement (DUA)
Memorialize an expression of intent, or expressing goals and aspirations or activity without committing to a legally binding agreement implicating legal remedies. Does it also purport to convey consideration to the University in exchange for a commitment of UW resources, such as IP rights, space, or faculty effort? Contact OSP.

For International expressions of intent which do not bind the UW or UW resources: review Office of Global Affairs International agreement resources.

For general expressions of intent without binding the UW or UW resources, contact your Department Chair or Department authorized signing authority.

Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)
Agreement where monetary consideration is not received by UW, but an external entity may provide other types of support (e.g. samples, data, materials, equipment). Commitments of UW resources without financial support must represent proper stewardship of public resources. Contact OSP. Unfunded Research Agreement
Agreement for provision of goods or services to the University. Does it involve purchasing contracts, including service agreements, or assurance of certifications relating to purchased equipment, supplies or services? Contact Procurement Service.

Review more on the distinction between a vendor of goods or services and a subrecipient:

Subrecipient, Vendor, or Consultant?

Federal Uniform Guidance- 2 CFR Part 200.330.

Purchased Services Agreement
Delivery of health care, medical director services, running tests or consulting services. Only if the service is provided as a practical aspect of instruction or research activity that is externally sponsored, contact OSP.

School of Medicine (SOM) units, contact:

Jasmine Campbell
Director of Regulatory Guidance

If Faculty members wish to provide consultation separate from their scope of UW employment, review: Outside Professional Work for Compensation.

OSP is unable to advise on the administration of such activity nor sign consulting service agreements.

Consulting or Services Agreement (when such consulting or services are provided by UW)
Collaboration between employees of the University and the cooperating agency without specific assignment of facilities to the cooperative effort. Guidance, procedures, and templates for use are provided by the Office of Research website. Affiliation Agreement
Multiple party affiliation agreements between Industry sponsors and the UW for companies to learn about the latest UW research, interact with faculty and students, and network with industry colleagues. Review guidance from Corporate and Foundation Relations Corporate Affiliate Program (CAP) Agreements
Receive funding for or commit to the completion of professional, architectural and construction services. Contact UW Capital Planning & Development. Capital Projects/ Construction 
Express a general intent to cooperate with UW for purposes related to general operations or pursuing an application for funding to a third party. Contact OSP. Teaming Agreement

After-the-Fact (ATF) eGC1s for Awards & Agreements

An ATF eGC1 is an eGC1 that has an agreement attached. ATF includes both award agreements and non-award agreements.

Approval of an ATF eGC1 does not imply approval or acceptance of the agreement. More information about agreement types.

ATF eGC1 Review
An ATF eGC1 must be “IN OSP” status, marked ATF “YES”, and include:

  • An award agreement, a scope of work, and a detailed budget with justification; or
  • A non-award agreement
Incomplete ATF eGC1s
Incomplete eGC1s will be returned without review and include a request for missing information.

  • Research involves vertebrate animals and was not routed to OAW
  • No agreement documents attached
  • Missing scope of work or related budget
Complete ATF eGC1s
Once the completed eGC1 is “In OSP”, it will be reviewed for compliance (e.g. University, state, federal and sponsor policies). OSP may provide reviewer comments prior to approval.

Competing applications have priority and GIM 19 deadlines do not apply to ATF eGC1s.

Approval of the ATF eGC1 does not imply approval or acceptance of the agreement.

The ATF eGC1 must be approved before the attached agreement will be reviewed by OSP.

ATF Agreement Set Up & Processing (FA/NAA)
Upon eGC1 approval, FAs & NAAs are created within 2 business days, assigned, and added to the appropriate reviewer’s queue.

FAs & NAAs are reviewed and processed in the order received and according to reviewer workload.