The research team uses SAGE (System to Administer Grants Electronically) for preparing the proposal application and its budget, approving the application, requesting advance budget numbers, and creating any related subawards.
SAGE has five tabs, as shown in the following image.
The SAGE tabs are:
- The Budgets tab allows preparers to create a detailed budget for the entire proposal time period, including sub budgets. They can optionally link a budget to an eGC1, and use it for the initial submission to the sponsor, and subsequent renewals. Budget IDs have a prefix of B.
- The eGC1 Forms tab allows preparers to create the application, link a budget if desired, and attach the sponsor documents. Application IDs have a prefix of A.
- The Approvals tab provides reviewers a list of applications to review and approve, or to return to preparers for revision.
- The Advances tab allows preparers to request an advance budget number for Approved or Awarded applications which OSP has marked as eligible for an advance. Advance IDs have a prefix of ADV.
- The Subawards tab allows the creation of new subaward requests, or modifications of existing subawards.
To use SAGE, campus personnel need authorization. This is done through the university’s ASTRA (Access to Systems, Tools, Resources and Applications) system.
Generally, departmental ASTRA administrators assign the following SAGE roles:
- Principal Investigator to researchers, based on each department’s criteria
- Proposal Preparer to research administrators
- Subaward Preparer to research administrators or post-award financial specialists
- Division, Department, or Dean’s Reviewer for campus approvers and watchers
Review SAGE ASTRA Roles for details.