As part of a larger effort to improve usability and content of the eGC1 Compliance page, this release makes a number of alterations to better focus the Compliance page on non-fiscal compliance questions. This was accomplished by either removing questions or relocating them to more intuitive sections of the eGC1.
There are more changes coming to the Compliance page in a later release that will build upon these enhancements.
Compliance Page Changes
|FG-1 Cost Share
||Relocated to Budget & Fiscal Compliance page
|FG-2 Conducted off campus
||Replaced by Activity Locations section
|FG-3 F&A at less than federally negotiated rate
||Relocated to Budget & Fiscal Compliance page
|FG-4 New, rental or renovation
||Relocated to Activity Locations page
|FG-5 Compensation for overtime
|FG-7 Administrative support
||Relocated to Budget and Fiscal Compliance page
|FG-8 Interdisciplinary facilities
||Relocated to the PI, Personnel & Organizations page
|FG-9 Review by other organization
||Relocated to the PI, Personnel & Organizations page
|NG-1 Advancement assistance
|NG-3 Originating sponsor
||Relocated to the Details page with other sponsor information
New Activity Locations Page
A new page has been added to the eGC1 that centralizes details related to the location of research activities in a proposal.
This page includes relocated questions, as well as more detailed tracking on each location where UW work will take place. The sections on this page are:
- Includes identification of each location where UW research activities are taking place along with details helpful for budgeting and F&A rate determination.
- The Location Search integrates with the UW’s space tracking system GeoSIMS, allowing you to partially enter a facility name, address or facility code and populate the eGC1 with the data for that location.
- You can also manually enter locations not found in GeoSIMS.
- Includes the “construction or renovation” question formerly on the Compliance page, along with approval details when answered ‘Yes’.
- Includes the international involvement question and country identification formerly on the Details page. Country is now sourced from the more comprehensive international standard ISO 3166.
This new page introduces an updated, intuitive and more modern experience for SAGE. Based on feedback from users, we will be incrementally updating SAGE to new design standards with each new release.
Fiscal Compliance Combined with Budget
The existing FG-1, FG-3, and FG-7 compliance questions related to fiscal compliance have been relocated to the top of the Budget page (now rebranded “Budget & Fiscal Compliance”), along with the useful explanations when ‘Yes’ is selected.
Details Page Updates
The existing NG-3 “originating sponsor” compliance question has been relocated to the Details page directly below the Sponsor selection.
The international involvement question has been relocated to the Activity Locations page.
PI, Personnel, & Organizations Page Updates
The existing FG-8 Compliance question on interdisciplinary facilities, service centers, etc. has been relocated to the PI, Personnel, & Organizations page. In a previous release, the FG-9 “other organizational reviewers” question was relocated to this page as well. With these two changes, you can now better manage your eGC1 approvals in one location.
SAGE Toolbar Update
The “reset form” icon on the upper SAGE toolbar has been removed. Removal of this rarely used feature will allow the application design to progress to more modern standards.
SPAERC: Intellectual Property Questions Added to FA/PAC/NAA
A new question has been added to the FAs, PACs, and NAAs in SPAERC for OSP post-award administrators to indicate when an agreement includes an upfront exclusive commercial license or ownership over the project’s intellectual property. CoMotion will receive notification when these are marked YES in order to get a jump start on IP negotiation.
SPAERC: BUG FIX – Internal OSP Notes no longer display in SAGE Subawards “Latest Update”
An issue that was causing internal OSP notes for subawards to display in SAGE under “Latest Update” for requests in process has been resolved. The “Latest Update” will now only display the most recent status update and any accompanying comments to/from campus and OSP.
Personnel Roles and Approvals
New “Application PI” Role
For certain types of funding applications, there is a need to list a PI (Principal Investigator) on the sponsor application forms that differs from the PI on the eGC1. This is often the case with NIH Career Development mentored opportunities and Fellowships, when the PI on the sponsor forms does not meet the eligibility requirements necessary to serve as a UW PI.
In order to better identify and accommodate this situation, a new personnel role type has been created on the “PI, Personnel and Organizations” page, called “Application PI”. When the Application PI role is selected, additional contact details for person will display and be editable. This will allow preparers to call out the contact information to be used on the sponsor forms. This is particularly important for NIH applications using Grant Runner.
This new role should only be used when there is a need to designate a different PI on the sponsor forms than on the eGC1.
“Application PI” flow to Grant Runner Forms
When an Application PI role is assigned to a personnel entry, and Grant Runner is being used to complete the sponsor forms, then the Application PI name and contact information will automatically flow through to the SF 424 and Key Person Expanded forms where the Application PI is listed.
“Application PI” and Approvals
When an Application PI is identified in the Personnel section of the eGC1, that individual will automatically be added to the approval graph, directly after the eGC1 PI. As such, they will automatically receive the same approval notification email that the eGC1 PI receives.
When the Application PI initiates their approval, they will be presented with an Assurance Statement, in the same way that the eGC1 PI is. Their approval will also represent that they have read and are providing the appropriate assurance as required by the sponsor.
“Multiple PI” Approval Changes
In order to improve efficiency and ensure compliance with federal rules around provision of assurance statements by Multiple PIs, SAGE will now automatically add personnel with the role type of Multiple PI to the approval graph. As is the case for the eGC1 PI and Application PI, the Multiple PIs will automatically receive approval notification email, and will be presented with an Assurance Statement at time of approval.
Bug Fixes: SAGE Suite
SPAERC: Commas in file names cause errors when opening attachments in Chrome
An issue has been fixed in SPAERC, where Chrome users were unable to open attachments which had commas in the file name. Users can now open these attachments without error.
SPAERC: eGC1 campus comments added to SPAERC control sheet
In order to add more visibility to the instructional notes and comments that campus users enter for OSP, the eGC1 Campus Comments field is now added to the SPAERC Control Sheet, and removed from the OSP Notes tab where it is less noticeable. The field has also been relabeled to “eGC1 Campus Comments” in all locations where it displays in SPAERC, for consistency and clarity.
SAGE General Updates
Updates throughout SAGE Suite.
Data Source Updates
SAGE Suite will now use Workday data rather than HEPPS data.
Technology updates were made to modernize and stabilize SAGE system as areas of the software were updated.
SAGE Personnel Chooser (throughout SAGE Suite)
Now search by EmployeeID, in addition to Name and UW NetID
Academic Appointments and Positions
When a Position and Academic Appointment are linked, they will be combined and displayed in one line
- Employee Name will display legal name
- Title will display the more useful Academic Appointment title when available. If not available, then Position title will display.
- Academic Appointment Type will display next to Title. This is new data available through Workday that provides information about the nature of the Academic Appointment. Academic Appointment Types can be Primary, Joint, Dual, or Admin. Academic Appointment Types are not applicable to Positions.
- Associated Organizational Units will display:
- Organization Name and Code display for Positions and Academic Appointments associated with a Position
- Supervisory Organization Name and Code display for Academic Appointments not related to a Position
- An indicator of a person’s Primary Position now displays next to the unit where the Primary Position resides. Primary Position replaces the former “home department” concept when determining necessary approvals.
SAGE eGC1 PI, Personnel, & Organizations Page Updates
Additional Organizational Reviewers Moved to Renamed PI, Personnel & Organizations Page
The former FG-9 Compliance page question for identifying additional organizational reviewers has been moved to the PI, Personnel & Organizations page, to align it with the personnel entries that are also feeding the approval graph. While selecting personnel, if joint appointment units need to be identified, you can now do so from the same page.
View Approval Graph link added to PI, Personnel & Organizations Page
The View Approval Graph link will now show in two places on the eGC1 — on the Certify and Route page (as always) and now also on the PI, Personnel & Organizations page. While you are changing personnel and adding additional organizational reviewers, this newly added link will allow you to quickly view the impact of your changes on the approval graph.
Primary Position Organization Code Added to Personnel Summary List
Once a person and their corresponding position have been added to the list of personnel, you will now see the organizational units for both the selected position and primary position for the chosen person. This will be a reminder that the primary position’s organizational unit will appear on the graph as well as the selected position.
SAGE Compliance Page Update
The additional organizational unit reviewers question (FG-9) has been relocated to the bottom of the PI, Personnel, & Organizations page (see above for more details).
SAGE Approvals Updates
Approval Graph Generation
- Primary Position Unit will now be used for adding Reviewers/Watchers to the Approval Graph, as the unit associated with the Primary Position replaces the concept of “home department”.
- Selected Unit will continue to be used for adding Reviewers/Watchers to the Approval Graph, but the unit will be derived as follows:
- If the selected line is for a Position, then SAGE will use the Position’s Organization Code
- If the selected line is for an Academic Appointment linked to a Position, then SAGE will use the linked Position’s Organization Code
- If the selected line is an Academic Appointment not linked to any Position, then SAGE will use the Supervisory Organization Code associated with the Academic Appointment
SAGE Budget Updates
Restructured to accommodate Workday data integration.
Are less granular in Workday with only one digit of sub-object code. They are associated with Job Profile and linked to Position rather than Distribution. Impacted Object codes are 01 Salaries and wages, 07 Employee benefits, and 08 Scholarships and awards.
- All ‘01-1X’ → ‘01-10’; ’01-2X’ → ’01-20’; etc.
- ’07-06’ → ’07-00’
- ’08-02’ → ’08-00’
Historical sub-object codes are still available for manual selection – if desired; user can select the old/more descriptive title description.
Multiple Object Code Types
The extra modal for Multiple Object Code types has been eliminated. The system defaults the object code to the one associated with the person’s Primary Position.
Benefit Rate & Costs
Default Benefit Exemptions
SAGE will now derive insurance and retirement benefit eligibility using the person’s Primary Position Object Code based on info provided by MAA as part of UW GIM3 fringe-benefit-load-rate. This derivation of benefit exemptions works for all object codes except 01-70 (professional staff), which will default to “None” (no exemptions). For ’01-70’, there will also be an alert/message asking verify and update health and/or retirement benefit eligibility for professional staff personnel.
In Workday, Earning Codes replaces the concept of Earn Types. Earning Codes are less granular and do not map exactly to historical Earn Types. Earning Codes will display on the Line Update page under Pay Type, providing additional context about salary and wages.
Institutional Base Salary (UW Monthly Salary)
Salary and wages that are considered IBS will now be pre-checked based on the updated GIM 35 definition of IBS.
Reduced responsibility cannot be uniquely identified in Workday, so the RRD personnel notification email from SAGE that’s sent post-award has been discontinued.
Object Code ‘07’
SAGE does not receive any retiree Supplement data from Workday. Retirees without regular salaries but with active Academic Appointments can be added to your budget but salary and benefit information must be added manually using the [Starting Monthly Salary] field.
Object Code ‘08’
Stipends information under object code ’08’ is available as Stipends without benefits under ’08-00’ (less granular object code). Stipends under Object code ‘08’ are not considered UW Salary or IBS, and are excluded from benefit calculations.
There are 2 separate branches of distributions in Workday: planned compensation and period pays. Both are included in salary calculations for all salary fields. If current planned compensation and period pays, we will include those. If no current planned compensation or period pays are available, SAGE will utilize future dated data.
Update or Convert Salary
The SAGE Budget worksheet will now display an “H” icon next to Salary and Wages lines last updated with HEPPS data.
If you edit a HEPPS Salary and Wages line, the Line Setup modal will provide a link to “Convert” the salary, which will remove all HEPPS earning lines, and re-add the person’s latest salary lines from Workday. Prior to the removal, the system keeps a snapshot of the HEPPS earning data. The instant of the snapshot can be viewed using the History tab of a budget.
For Salary and Wages lines created or last updated with Workday data, no “H” indicator will display. The Line Setup modal will allow you to “Update” the salary (no conversion is needed).
The Update Periods modal has all periods displayed on the same page for the selected line item.
With the right access, the user can update salary and benefit for each period (and thereafter). However, if the selected record is personnel from HEPPS, then the Update Salary link will not be visible. The Update Salary link only works for Workday data.
The display of Sea Pay personnel and salary info has been rearranged and shown with multiple periods. # of Hour info for each period can be entered on the same page.
Worksheet Line Setup (Non-Personnel)
The “NOTES” icon has been removed, and a note section is added to the line Item setup page. Instead of going to Period 1, 2, etc., user can access the new Line Item Update page directly by using the “Go to Iine Item Update”.
The Line Setup page includes all periods on the same page. Other than the calculated fields such as % and totals, cells for all periods can be edited together. However, the totals are not recalculated upon entry, but upon leaving. User will only be able to view the new totals after Return to Worksheet.
Release date: 7/11/2017
SAGE was updated July 6th to reflect Workday salary and payroll data. This release includes a few fixes to the SAGE system.
We’ve re-enabled the following
- Personnel Chooser: Re-enabled the ability to search for group NetIDs
- Approvals Tab: Re-enabled the Advanced Search
- Subcontract Sub Budgets: Re-enabled the ability to set custom fringe benefit rate settings for sub budgets of type Subcontract
- Compliance Q&E: Explanation information for compliance question HS-1 now displays.
Grant Runner Updates
Expansion of Validations
Key changes to Grant Runner validations and error checking.
- All NIH Validations Included — SAGE will now incorporate all NIH validations into the error checking process, when users click the “Check for Errors” link. These validations are the same rules applied by ASSIST and eRA Commons. This should help users to identify issues earlier in the process, in advance of proposal submission. SAGE will display both NIH errors and warnings. Warnings will not block submission, but may reveal other issues to be considered prior to submission.
- Revised Check for Errors Page — The redesigned Check for Errors page will provide a full set of validation checks and errors for eGC1 pages as well as Grant Runner forms. For quick access, a new “Check for Errors” link has been added below the set of Grant Runner forms (see image below) on the left navigation menu. It will continue to display in its usual location on the Certify & Route page.
- Form Level Validations — The “Show Form Errors” link at the top of each Grant Runner form displays data entry validations on that form only (for example, date formats, required fields, etc.). Users should use the Check for Errors process for complete business rule validations and error checks.
Single PDF of Sponsor Forms Available
Grant Runner users will now be able to generate a single PDF that combines all of the sponsor forms and the related attachment content. The layout of the PDF will be the same as the NIH reviewers see, and can be printed or circulated via email. To generate the single PDF, users will click on the new View Grant Runner Forms (PDF) link, found in the left navigation menu, just below the set of Grant Runner forms. (See image below).
Activity Code field added
The Activity Code for the selected opportunity will display on the Abstract & RFA/RFP page for Grant Runner applications. This field is read-only.
Standard eGC1 Updates
The new Check for Errors link on the left navigation menu will also appear for non-Grant Runner (standard) eGC1s.
This final release for the SAGE Subawards Project includes priority items requested by preparers as well as some updates that will allow OSP to manage subrecipient profile data more effectively.
To make it easier for subaward preparers to cover absences and to allow for broader department review and access to subawards, you can now add additional users (beyond the three UW contacts) with either read/write or read-only access.
Expanded Subrecipient Profile
To improve OSP’s ability to report subaward information to sponsors and auditors, the following attributes have been added to the subrecipient profile in SAGE:
- Employer Identification Number (Federal Tax ID)
- DUNS and DUNS +4
Subrecipient Types have also been revamped to better align with reporting requirements.
Attachments Display Changes
- From a link on the Subaward Overview page, you can now view a consolidated list of attachments for the entire subaward.
- On the subaward request details page, the Attachments section now visually separates attachments that departmental subaward preparers uploaded from those that OSP did.
Using the Subawards section of SAGE and SPAERC will now be faster and more responsive, allowing you to accomplish what you need to get done with less waiting.
The Start and End Dates on subaward requests are now checked by the system to ensure they make sense within the context of the broader award and subaward. This will help alert you to any easy mistakes made when preparing a request.
- The SAGE tasklist now displays the most recent BPO number, rather than the one listed on the first request. Searching the tasklist will also now only return subawards where the most recent BPO matches your search criteria.
Subaward Overview Page
- A visual cue displays in the Request in Process section on the Subaward Overview page to make it easier for users to identify how to open the details of request.
- A new Modification Number field has been added, which will be populated by OSP in SPAERC but will be visible on the Subaward Overview page in SAGE as well. The Modification Number will confirm the sequence of changes to the subaward agreement.
- You’ll now see the BPO number associated with each request, within both the Requests In Process and Processed Requests section of the Subaward Overview, for easy reference.
Grant Runner Form Updates
Grants.Gov will be releasing new versions of select forms by end of October, primarily due to some forms reaching their expiration dates. Two Grant Runner forms will be updated as a result: RR Detailed Budget and RR Subaward Budget. The RR Detailed Budget will display a new “Total Costs and Fees” calculation for each period, and for the cumulative budget. This will be visible for any opportunities utilizing version 1.4 of the RR budget form.
Human Subjects Questions
CRBB has provided improved language and helpful alerts surrounding the HS-1-B compliance question. If you answer YES to HS-1, the HS-1-B compliance question appears. It will ask you about the use of UW Medicine Health System clinical services, procedures or tests in regards to human subjects use, and provides additional details intended to help you answer the question more easily.
SAGE Training Site Update
The subawards section of SAGE Training site now allows anyone iwith a UW NetID to create test subawards records. Keep in mind, the SAGE “Live” environment still requires the Subaward Preparer ASTRA role.
SPAERC List/Edit OSP Administrators admin tool not working
The SPAERC List/Edit OSP Administrators admin tool has been updated to fix a rendering problem when selecting personnel. This update was released as a patch on 10/12/2016.
FFATA response on subawards reverting to NULL upon submission of request
An issue has been resolved that was causing the response to the “FFATA Reporting Required” question on subawards to revert to blank/NULL upon submission or resubmission of a child request.
Place of Performance Country/City defaulting to Afghanistan/Alabama
An issue has been resolved that was causing the Place of Performance Country and City on subaward requests to default to the initial value in each list, rather than blank/NULL.
Start and End Dates on subaward requests populating from FA rather than subaward
An issue has been resolved that was causing the Start and End dates on subaward requests to default to the dates on the related FA rather than on the subaward.
Start Date not displaying for Subaward Modifications in SPAERC
An issue has been resolved that was causing the Start Date to not display on the Subaward task list in SPAERC for modification requests.
This SAGE update introduces to you easier collaboration with the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP), more subaward status transparency and a refreshed user interface.
If you are a Subaward Preparer, you are able to:
- Withdraw a subaward request with “In OSP” status
- Cancel a subaward request either “In OSP” or “Withdrawn” status.
OSP can return subaward requests that are “In OSP” or “OSP Assigned” status and will include an return comment so you can revise and resubmit.
For better transparency, a history of changes and comments now displays on your subaward.
You can track the following types of events and comments from the Subaward Overview and within each Subaward Request:
- Status Changes (includes returns with explanations and related comments)
- Ad hoc OSP comments to you about a subaward
- OSP Assignment changes
- Changes to attachments
- Changes to OSP Assignment Date, Issue Date, and Fully Executed Date
The Subaward Overview page allows you to either view a comprehensive list of events for all related subaward requests, or filter to see only those for a particular request.
Ease of Use
Subawards refreshed design makes it easier for you to find the information that matters most.
Two new sections on the Subaward Overview Page:
- Request In Process – This section helps you quickly identify the current request being worked on. This section includes requests that have not reached Active status (i.e. Composing, In OSP, OSP Assigned, Withdrawn, Returned, or Issued).
- Processed Requests – This section includes any requests your items that have been processed for this subaward (i.e. Active, Expired, or Canceled).
You and OSP now share the same interface, which makes it easier for collaboration on subaward development.
My Subawards Task List
The “Latest Request Status” column helps you easily identify the status of requests that are still in process.
Your subaward requests in either “Returned” or “Withdrawn” status also have an arrow icon next to the status to help you identify those requiring action.
Grant Runner: PHS Assignment Request Form
The new PHS Assignment Request Form, introduced with the Forms-D changes, is now available in Grant Runner. This new form will be available to all applications in progress as well as new Grant Runner applications where applicable.
The new Subawards section in SAGE marks a change in both business process and system usage.
- All subaward intake actions managed through Ariba
- Subaward intake initiates through SAGE, provides OSP the ability to issue agreements at an earlier stage
- Procurement setup & invoicing for subawards continues to initiate through Ariba
An Outgoing Subaward Workflow Diagram is available for your reference.
New in SAGE: Subawards
For this initial release, the following new capabilities and features are available to campus users through SAGE:
- Create a new subaward request and submit to OSP
- Create a new modification request and submit to OSP
- Search/View subaward requests and current status from My Subawards tasklist
- View a detailed summary of all subaward modification history
- Help documentation available through the “?” icons
Important ASTRA Permissions
Users must have the “SAGE Subaward Preparer” role to create new subaward and modification requests. ASTRA: Who Can Authorize me?
Outgoing Subaward Resources
Over the next few months additional releases will provide other functionality, such as:
- returns and resubmit capability
- visibility to OSP comments and hold details
Based on your feedback, enhancements will be prioritized following this initial release.
Error 99 when trying to change SC cycle in SPAERC
An issue in SPAERC that was causing users to receive a 99 error when attempting to re-parent a subcontract from the Cycle Details has been fixed so that SPAERC users receive a clear error message describing the existing business rule that disallows moving a subcontract between different cycles.
Allow deletion of subcontract actions beyond most recent
OSP can now delete any Subcontract Action, not just the most recent, as long as the Subcontract Action is in “Pending” status.
Provide OSP staff with ability to alter eGC1 status
All OSP staff now have the ability to reset eGC1s that had been accidentally set to “Approved”, “Denied by Sponsor”, or “Permanently Withdrawn” back to active statuses. Approved eGC1s can be reset to “In OSP” status, and “Denied” can be reset to “Approved”. If an eGC1 reached “In OSP” or “Approved” status prior to being “Permanently Withdrawn”, then OSP can reset it back to either of those statuses. eGC1s that are “Permanently Withdrawn” while in “Routing” status cannot be reset to an active status, but can still be copied.
- OSP is now able to delete erroneously uploaded attachments to the “Documents Uploaded by OSP” section of the eGC1, as well as Funding Action and admin actions in SPAERC. When an attachment is deleted, a note is added to the item recording who deleted the attachment and at what time.
- OSP can now change the Funding Action associated with a Subcontract Action to correct any erroneous assignments.
- Subcontract Actions in SPAERC will now have a new status of “Expired”. Subcontract Actions will now be automatically assigned the newly added status of “Expired” when the SA’s end date passes. This status addition will aid in reporting and trigger that team to take the necessary close out actions.
- Subcontract Actions in SPAERC can now be assigned a status of “Canceled” which will allow the OSP Subcontracts Team to differentiate them from those that were erroneously created or completed and “Closed Out”.
- The new Subcontract Action statuses of “Expired” and “Canceled” have been added as filters on the Subcontracts tasklist in SPAERC.
- Subcontract Actions in SPAERC will now include read-only “Project Type” and “Sponsor Award Number” from the parent funding action which will allow the OSP Subcontract Team to more quickly access information needed to setup the subcontract.
- The header row of each Subcontract Action in SPAERC will now display the start and end dates for that action. This will make it easier for the OSP Subcontracts Team to identify the chronology of all actions under that subcontract.
- SPAERC users are now able to search for subcontracts with a partial Purchase Order (PO) number. Previously, SPAERC users were required to enter a complete PO Number including alpha prefix. This will make it easier to find subcontracts when only part of the PO number is known.
- SA Attachment Upload: An issue in SPAERC subcontracts module was preventing users from successfully uploading attachments on first attempt. This issue has been resolved.
- Budget # not defaulting for SAs with ARIBA BPO and EI: An issue has been resolved that had been preventing budget numbers from the financial system from displaying for Subcontract Actions (SA) in SPAERC when the SA listed a BPO or EI Purchase Order (PO) number.
Overview: Sponsored Program Activity Revisions
The majority of the July maintenance release is focused on updating the way sponsored program activities are defined and clustered in SAGE on both the eGC1 and on Funding Actions. Prior to these changes, the “Funding Purpose” field on the eGC1 and the “Type of Award” field on the Funding Action tracked different but similar values. This causes confusion for consumers of the data and challenges in reporting to federal sponsors, since neither field aligns cleanly with the categories used for federal reporting.
With the below changes, the eGC1 and FA activity types will be brought into alignment with each other, and with the federal reporting categories. Additional fields are also being added to extend automation of reporting further.
Below are the current eGC1 and FA fields and the new Sponsored Program Activity Type fields for reference:
|Current eGC1 “Funding Purpose”
||Current Funding Action “Type of Award”
- Research: Basic
- Research: Applied
- Training: Research
- Training: Other
- Fellowship: Undergraduate
- Fellowship: Graduate/Professional
- Clinical Trial
- IPA/JPA/Staff Assignment
- Other Sponsored Activity
- Training (Research)
- Training (Other)
- Fellowship (Grad & Professional)
- Fellowship (Undergrad)
- Other Sponsored Activity
|New eGC1 and Funding Action “Sponsored Program Activity Types” grouped by Institutional Activity Categories
- Research: Basic
- Research: Applied
- Fellowship: Research Undergraduate
- Fellowship: Research Graduate/Professional
- Other Training: Research
- Clinical Trial: Federal Sponsors
- Training and Development (UW Internal)
- Fellowship: Non-Research Undergraduate
- Fellowship: Non-Research Graduate/Professional
Other Sponsored Activity
- Professional Development/Public Service (UW External)
- Clinical Trial: Non-Federal Sponsors
- Other Sponsored Activity
- IPA/JPA/Staff Assignment
Specific changes within SPAERC are as follows.
Replace FA Type of Award with Sponsored Program Activity Type
The Type of Award field on the Funding Action is replaced by a new Sponsored Program Activity Type field that will display in both SPAERC and SERA. The options available will align with federal Uniform Guidance and will mirror those on the eGC1. The Sponsored Program Activity Type on the first Funding Action for an eGC1 will auto-populate the selection on the parent eGC1. When an eGC1 has multiple existing Funding Actions, the Sponsored Program Activity Type will auto-populate from the selection on the first/oldest Funding Action.
Migrate historical data to FA Sponsored Program Activity Type
The Sponsored Program Activity Type field is populated on all existing Funding Actions based on eGC1 Funding Purpose and Funding Action Type of Award data. Populating the SPA Type field on all existing Funding Actions will allow for consistent historical reporting.
Add Clinical Trial Phase to the FA
When the Sponsored Program Activity Type is one of the two Clinical Trial activities (federal or non-federal sponsored), a Clinical Trial Phase field will display on the Funding Action in SPAERC. This will assist in reporting to the federal government.
View eGC1 Sponsored Program Activity Type from SPAERC
The new sponsored program activity type field will be viewable on the eGC1, the Control Sheet, and the task list in SPAERC.
View eGC1 Clinical Trial Phase from SPAERC
The new clinical trial phase field will be viewable on the eGC1 in SPAERC.
Applications: FCOI JIT Process Change
- With the creation of a new Just-In-Time flag being added to the Pre-Award Notification, the Just-In-Time button in the application Sponsor Decision window has been removed.
- The FCOI Just-In-Time email notification has been updated to send upon a new JIT flag being set on a Pre-Award Notification, or, upon the creation of a Funding Action. The primary contacts on the eGC1 will now only receive the FCOI JIT email once, rather than anytime the contacts listed on the eGC1 change.
Grant Runner Applications – Print Preview of Grants.gov Forms
In order to provide OSP reviewers with an alternative way of viewing Grant Runner forms, a PDF print preview feature has been added to the upper task bar of each Grant Runner form, merging the data into the familiar Grants.Gov form. Users may find this a helpful way of viewing Grant Runner forms and eGC1 details side-by-side.
At this time, users can print the Grant Runner forms individually. ORIS is working on a feature that will allow for printing of the entire Grant Runner form set in a single PDF. That feature will be released at a later date.
Please note there is a known defect with the PDF not showing attachment names. Until this issue is resolved, users should refer to the SPAERC Grant Runner form to open and view attachments.
- The eGC1 Preparer will now be included as a recipient of the following auto-generated email notifications:
- Application Review Notice
- Notice of Award
- Request for Activation Notice for Fellowships
Funding Actions (FA)
- In order to apply the uniform guidance requirements with more clarity and consistency, the Sponsor Award Date on the Funding Action is now required prior to it being sent to GCA.
Pre-Award Notifications (PAN)
- A new Notification Type of “Just-In-Time” has been added to the PAN so that OSP staff can correctly identify the content of the sponsor fundable score notification received, and facilitate earlier communication of just-in-time to other compliance offices such as the Office of Animal Welfare (OAW).
- A new Subcontract Title field has been added to Subcontract shell so that the OSP Subcontracts team can more easily identify particular subcontracts by name, and to facilitate future automation of federal reporting.
- The Subcontracts tasklist can be sorted and filtered by the new Subcontract Title field.
- A new Subcontract Action type of “Non-Contractual Revision” has been added to identify those SAs related to PAS/ARIBA transitions.
SPAERC Subcontract and Subcontract Action Updates
- A new Subcontract Title field has been added to Subcontract shell in SPAERC so that the OSP Subcontracts team can more easily identify particular subcontracts by name.
- Two new fields related to subrecipient DUNS number have been added to the Subcontract shell in SPAERC in order to aid reporting on subcontracts to the federal government.
- The Subcontract Action (SA) section in SPAERC was redesigned to make it easier for the OSP Subcontracts Team to monitor high-level details about each SA, and then expand an accordion to view and edit the details. Design features developed for the Grant Runner Detailed Budget were leveraged to foster a consistent experience throughout the SAGE Suite.
- Subcontract Actions (SA) in SPAERC are now identified with a unique SA ID to aid the OSP Subcontracts Team in identifying particular actions more easily in task list searches and in reporting. The SA ID will be visible in the subcontract actions section, on the subcontracts tasklist search results by default, and in the available columns section of the tasklist.
- New fields for Place of Performance have been added to the Subcontract Action (SA) in SPAERC in order to aid reporting of subcontracts to the federal government.
- The OSP Subcontracts Team will now be able to assign Subcontract Actions (SA) to individual team members so that they can more easily track what each team member is responsible for. The new “assigned to” field will also display on the subcontracts tasklist as an available column, and by default for the tasklist results template.
- With the addition of the new “SA Assigned To” field in subcontract actions, the Subcontract Assignment History section has been updated to add a column for “Item Type”. This column will clarify which section — subcontract or subcontract actions — the assignment pertains to.
- Add Time of Day and Time Zone to eGC1 Sponsor Due Date
In order to better monitor and meet proposal submission deadlines, eGC1 preparers will now be asked to provide the specific time of day and time zone for which the applications are due. These fields will display alongside the existing sponsor due date field, and will be required entry.
- Allow Grant Runner support for special characters
In an early February release, Grants.Gov updated their systems to allow many of the special characters that were problematic with submissions in the past to go through successfully. With this release we are updating SAGE Grant Runner to take advantage of this change as well. Grant Runner will no longer generate a validation error when users enter special characters such tildes, curly quotes, umlauts and other accent marks. This update will result in fewer submission errors and a more accurate read of the intended content.
An issue was resolved in SPAERC to again allow the Lock/Unlock feature to work as intended on the eGC1 Attachments & Routing Questions page.
- A new flag has been added to subcontracts in SPAERC to identify which will require FFATA reporting via the FSRS reporting portal. When the flag is set to ‘Yes’, each subcontract action will display a FFATA Reporting Date field to track the date on which it was submitted via FSRS.
- A new database field “BPO Version number” has been added to the Subcontract Details page in SPAERC to keep Ariba BPO versions in sync with Subcontract modification actions. This new 3-digit integer field is designed to be used together with a BPO number when the PO type is Ariba BPO.
- The OSP Subcontracts Team has four new auto-generated emails in SPAERC for modification/amendments and subaward agreements. Copies of sent emails will be archived in the SPAERC subcontract.
- Three new, more specific, attachment file types have been added to the Subcontract Action for FFATA documents, replacing the previous single “FFATA” option. The new values are: FFATA Report For Grants, FFATA Collection Form, and FSRS Filing Confirmation.
- The date fields on the Subcontracts search page were relabeled to more clearly indicate the date value search criterion.
- The “SA Reporting Date” field on the Subcontracts tasklist and search page has been relabeled “SA Issue Date” to match the field labels used in the Subcontract Action itself.
- The “SA AssignmentDate” field has been added as an available column on the Subcontracts tasklist and as a searchable field on the Subcontracts search page.
- An issue in SPAERC that triggered an error when a user’s default filter for the Subcontracts tasklist included an “SA Status” has been fixed.
- An issue in SPAERC that caused the “Cost Share Amount” field in the FA Notification PDF to display after the Cost Share question had been changed from “Yes” to “No” has been fixed.
The following updates were released on May 29, 2014.
- New date fields have been added to the funding action to capture “Sponsor Award Date” and “OSP Received Date”. In addition, the Award Received data has been relabeled “FA Creation Date”. This was to allow OSP to meet federal reporting requirements.
- The following changes were made to the subcontracts page in order to help OSP report to the federal government.
- Reporting Date is now labeled Issue Date.
- Date Received is now labeled Assignment Date.
- Fully Executed date field has been added to the Subcontract Action.
- Date fields were re-ordered for the Subcontract Action.
- GIM 19 email notifications and HSD JIT email notifications will no longer be sent for applications that are after-the-fact or clinical trials.
The following updates were released on November 26th, 2013:
- SPAERC applications, FAs, and AAs will now have a single location to be assigned after review by OSP – “File.” FAs and eGC1s with a status of “In OSP” can no longer be assigned to “File.” Items that now belong in “File” have been reassigned and documented with appropriate notes in the history.
- GCA and OSP collaborated to determine several Funding Action fields that could be opened up for GCA so that GCA can make necessary changes rather than having to send FAs back to OSP to make the changes. Several FA fields will now be editable in SERA for GCA staff. Changes made by GCA staff will be logged in the history of the FA in both SERA and SPAERC.The following FA fields will become editable in SERA:
- Payment Type
- Budget Details Location
- Current Period Start Date (except when Authorized Action is New)
- Current Period End Date
- F&A Cost Rate
- Cost Sharing
- Total Cost Share Amount
- Rate Location
Also, in SERA, the Current Period Start Date will be displayed as read-only if the Authorized Action value is New.
The following updates were released on September 26th, 2013:
- FAs that are returned by GCA to inactive OSP staff members will be assigned to the “Failover Team” so that OSP may reassign FAs to an active OSP staff member. Currently, Al Marks monitors the Failover Team, which has been used for eGC1s and will now be used for FAs.
- The new OSP Pending FAs report will help OSP Managers monitor and manage the workflow and workload of my team to process FAs in a timely manner.
SAGE and FIDS Updates SPAERC Users may want to know about
- Now that FIDS is a year old, OSP needs to be able to determine if an Investigator is in compliance with GIM 10 for annual updates of SFI disclosure. On the PI & Personnel Page, the investigator’s primary disclosure will appear in italics and related disclosures will be ordered from most recent to oldest. This will allow OSP to find the primary disclosure easily and see the most recent related disclosure immediately below the primary disclosure.
- SAGE and SPAERC users will have access to a new pop-up window for Personnel Disclosure History by clicking on the name of an Investigator on the PI & Personnel page in SAGE. The new window will show an investigator’s recent history of submitted disclosures. This will aid in OSP’s review to make sure investigators are compliant with annual updates per GIM 10.
- In compliance with the UW Records Retention policy, on October 1st, we will be removing attachments from grant applications (eGC1s) which were never awarded and have a sponsor deadline before January 9th, 2009. This will free up storage space and simplify data management.The eGC1s without their attachments will remain in SAGE for reporting purposes. An entry about the deletion will display on the “OSP Notes” page in SPAERC.
- SAGE users will no longer be allowed to “Send Disclosure Notifications” for eGC1’s where the sponsor name is “Pending – Notify OSP of Correct Sponsor”. This is to help ensure that the correct disclosure rules and requirements are applied when the PI is updating their SFI in FIDS.
- To aid in compliance with GIM 10 for annual updates of SFI disclosures, FIDS now send automated email notifications. There will be a reminder when an annual update of disclosure is due in 45 days, a second reminder when the annual update is due in 15 days, and a notice when they are out of compliance (copied to the PI).
- To easily see who the current Public Health Service sponsors are, we created a new PHS Sponsors web page.
The following updates were released on July 25th, 2013:
- The answer to the Ready to Submit question now displays on the SPAERC control sheet and the Attachments and Routing page for all application types.
- Navigational menus/links no longer display on popup windows such as auto-generated email draft windows.
- When the parent item of an Admin Action is changed, the Action text now reflects the appropriate Admin Action number.
- The SPAERC Task list now displays values for “Yes” and “N/A” in the Paper column.
- When updating FA, AA, and SC attachments the current description will display in the description field and be editable.
- Subcontracts will now appear on the Cycle Details page after every FA they are associated with, as they do on the Cycles Details flyout.
- Auto-generated document fields in SPAERC now have single spacing between lines of text entered.
- If an application’s initial sponsor is changed from RRF or to RRF, when the eGC1 is re-submitted, it will be appropriately re-assigned.
- Now you can directly re-parent an application which is the child of another application in the same cycle.
- For Grant Runner eGC1s that are connected to SAGE Budgets, the irrelevant Approved Attachments links have been removed from the History & Comments page and the Grants.gov Tracking History section of the GR Submission & Status page for actions associated with the submission steps (Name is Grants.gov).
- The “Change Action Type” drop down menu no longer includes “Post Award Change” as an option for FAs that have a parent (eGC1). This modification will enforce the parenting rules that have been established.
- On the Admin Actions’ Auto Generated Documents page, the email instructions label was changed to “SFI Compliance Notification”.
SPAERC Style Updates
To ensure that our tools have a more consistent look and are easier to maintain, we made some changes in our code. In some newer browsers, you may notice slightly different colors, rounded corners, and other minor changes. The changes were made in the following tools:
- SAGE – System to Administer Grants Electronically
- FIDS – Financial Interest Disclosure System
- SPAERC – Sponsored Projects Administration & Electronic Research Compliance (for OSP)
- SERA – System for Electronic Research Accounting (for GCA)
- AUMS – Animal Use Medical Screening
The following updates were released on April 25th, 2013:
- Attachments are viewable in SAGE:
- SAGE will display Subcontracts Actions (SA) attachments in the Related Documents section of the Attached Documents page on the eGC1 if the SA is in Active or Closed Out status and if the attachment type is other than To/From Communications.
- Recommendation: Use a file name that make it clear to the user what this attachment is related to (for example PO#857757SubcontractAGreement.doc.).
- Notes sections are now available:
- The Subcontract team now has the ability to type in Notes as needed for all status changes.
- These notes are required for changing to Denied or Duplicate status. A standard validation message will appear if you forget.
- SA has a new default status.
- Upon creation, an SA will have the default status of “pending”.
- You will not be able to close out a Subcontract if it has any SA with the status of pending or active. A validation message will appear when you try to do this.
ASTRA PAGE instead of error page
When people attempt to log in to a tool within the SAGE Suite (SAGE, SPAERC, and SERA) without the required ASTRA role, a page will display a list of people in their unit who can authorize access to it. Users will be able to choose an authorizer and send him or her a message to request access to the tool.
SAGE Updates SPAERC Users should know about:
New EH&S Compliance question in SAGE
- New question #7 : Will the project involve scientific diving?
- Explanation: Anyone diving under the University of Washington’s auspices must have current certification as a University of Washington Scientific Diver and adhere to the standards set forth in the UW’s Diving Safety Manual. EH&S will contact you to assist in meeting Diving Safety Program requirements prior to diving.
- The link to the diving safety program is. http://www.ehs.washington.edu/rbsdiving
- Answering “yes” to question 7 will add a watcher node to the approval graph. Sam Sublett and Pema Kitaeff are the EHS Diving watchers, and they will follow up with the PI.
Preliminary Benefit Rates are now available to SAGE Budget users.
- GIM 3 has been updated to allow Sage Budget preparers to choose between using current benefit rates or preliminary benefit rates for future budgeting. Users will also be able to look up rates within the revised GIM to view current and future rates as they become available.
- SAGE Budget will use the correct rate based on the period start date when using current and preliminary rates or current-only rates.
- Budget preparers can use a global update feature to update their budgets quickly when preliminary rates become available.
- The period entry page for a given person will indicate whether the rate is current or preliminary for that period.
- Automatic holds will be applied to funding actions when either training requirements or disclosure requirements have not been met
- Ensure correct values appear for SFI on control sheet
- New JIT functionality for FCOI
- OSP can trigger JIT notifications in SPAERC
- JIT notifications will be sent to
- Any investigators who have not yet taken training
- Any investigators who have not yet completed disclosures (important for existing eGC1s)
- Preparers and Owners to let them know that JIT has been invoked, and that they need to make sure that everyone who should be listed on the eGC1 personnel page is actually listed there
- JIT will trigger the status change from “Waiting for JIT” to “Review Required” this is on the PI and Personnel page as well as in FIDS.
- JIT notifications are not sent for RRF sponsored applications at the time FA is created.
- Biennium field added to FA’s and PAC’s as optional to fill out.
- A bug was fixed to correct an Orphan session issue where when a subcontract item was opened and then the FA was opened from the subcontract page the subcontract will no longer stay open in the background. This solves one area where the user had a stale session and a 45 minute lock on the subcontract item.
- Data clean up on some FA’s that were previously marked as duplicate that were accidentally changed to Processed. We are returning them to their duplicate status. This is to help with the EDW work.
- Subcontract shells can no longer be created from within an FA. They can only be created by the subcontracts team through the administration tab.
- All subcontracts assigned to Judy Yoshioka and Verenice Barbosa/Bendana have been reassigned to e-shelf.
- An Assigned To Date column has been added to the SPAERC Funding Action and Admin Action tasklists to notify users when a new item appears. The field appears as the right-most column, and can be moved if desired.
- When Re-sending a PAC/FA to GCA, the OSP Notes field will be mandatory
- The error message color block did not cover the entire error message. This has been corrected for the subcontract PO number error message.
- An FA with a Flow-Through Sponsor of Pending cannot be approved in SPAERC, and therefore cannot be sent to GCA.
- Subcontracts were not moving to the proper cycle when the parent FA was moved. This has been corrected so that the Subcontract will be moved with the FA However old data will still be an issue and will need to be resolved on a case by case basis. A list has been given to Carol Rhodes to help resolve these issues as 99 errors will be generated until it has been determined which cycle the Subcontract and FA should be in.
Holds: New screen design for Holds now displays compliance versus non-compliance holds. Automatic compliance holds implemented for new FA’s and a subset of new PAC’s(Extension and Advance Extension types) where application is the parent(FA)/grandparent(PAC).
- Flyout navigation issues have been fixed.
- Fixed Error 99 that occurred due to selecting and deselecting requested changes (Admin Actions Subtypes) in a PAC.
- Fix to properly display subcontracts for budgets in OSP. Previously, Budgets were showing subcontract when there were none (issue in OSP only).
- Reduced Responsibility email notification has been built and ready to go out when a person is placed in RRD status. Note: Communication will not go out to campus until GIM 38 is released to the public.
- School of Medicine has a new Human Subjects compliance sub question HS-1-B. This compliance question will generate a message to let you know what type of Clinical Research Budget & Billing Support Office (CRBB) review is needed. This question is triggered only for eGC1s which involve the use of human subjects, and will appear once the Project Type and HSD Application type are selected.
- Close Out administrative action has new date fields: Award End Date and Closeout Deadline Date can be entered; the Closeout Delinquent Date is calculated as 30 days past the deadline date. These values also appear on the tasklist and the search page.
- Authorized Action field on an FA is now limited to one value.
- Subcontract Action has a new status field, independent of the parent Subcontract.
- Ensured that an FA child of an FA can be sent to GCA.
- Corrected missing budget/cost sharing dollars on GCA summary.
- Allowed searching for PI names to include an apostrophe.