- Get access to UW and Sponsor systems early.
- Review sponsor requirements.
- UW system authorizations, including access to SAGE, are managed within your department through ASTRA.
- Talk to your department Administrator and visit sponsor websites for more information.
The System to Administer Grants Electronically (SAGE) is an internal UW compliance and approval routing system. All sponsored program proposals must be reviewed and approved by campus units, appropriate compliance offices and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP).
OSP Requires an eGC1 for the following:
- Pre-Applications that require authorized official submission or sign-off or that contain budget details.
- Proposals for Research, Instruction and Other Sponsored Activity (Competing, Supplemental).
- Noncompeting renewals (e.g. progress reports) that require authorized official submission or sign-off.
- Revised applications (replacing most or all of previously submitted proposal).
- After-the-Fact proposals or awards (see GIM 1, ATF eGC1s)
- Non-Award agreements: an award agreement between the UW and another party, related to research that obligates UW resources or otherwise makes legal obligations on behalf of the University and does not include external funding, requiring institutional sign-off.
- Some examples include: data use agreements (DUA), confidentiality agreements (CDA), master agreements, material transfer agreements (MTA) and unfunded research agreements, etc.
- Review more information on Agreement Types.
Even if there is an eGC1 on file, OSP will require an additional eGC1 when:
- The cumulative amount of an award exceeds by 25% or more the cumulative amount of the eGC1 or eGC1s on file.
- The PI or sponsor determines there is a significant change in the scope of work:
- A change in direction, aims, objectives, purposes, or types of research.
- Addition of compliance requirements not represented in an earlier eGC1, such as animal or human subjects or cost share.
OSP will determine if unique situations not described here require an eGC1.
For example: Pre-clinical trial CDAs do not require an eGC1. Send them directly to email@example.com.
By approving an eGC1 for submission, PIs makes assurances and certification to the UW about the proposal for routing and submission. These assurances reflect the PIs intent to adhere to federal, state, UW and sponsor policies that apply to the proposal.
In addition to ensuring your proposals are prepared according to sponsor requirements and submission deadlines, the UW has internal submission deadlines that must be followed for proposals requesting external support.
Meeting Internal Submission Deadlines
7 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadlines
Route proposal drafts, final administrative and business elements within SAGE along with any supporting documents that need to be reviewed internally.
3 Business Days Before Sponsor Deadlines
All final proposal materials to all external sponsors (including collaborators) must be:
- Attached to the eGC1 and the eGC1 marked Ready to Submit (RTS)
- Attached in any corresponding sponsor systems.
- “In OSP” status by 5pm, three business days before the sponsor deadline.
Sponsor Due Date
GIM 19 Deadline
|Thursday by 5 pm PST||Preceding Monday by 5pm PST|
|Wednesday by midnight PST and preceding Monday is a holiday||Preceding Thursday by 5pm PST (Monday is not a business day)|
|Wednesday by 2 pm, EST (11 am PST)||Preceding Friday by 5 pm PST|
|Friday by 5 pm EST (2 pm PST)||Preceding Tuesday by 5 pm PST|
|Friday, no specific time or time zone mentioned||Preceding Tuesday by 5 pm PST|
Follow any additional School & College or department requirements.
Ready to submit (RTS) means the eGC1 has a complete proposal in final format, ready for submission to the sponsor. This includes all required sponsor forms, components, sections, and attachments, per sponsor program announcement and policy.
RTS proposals must have:
- Documents attached in the order required by the sponsor
- Ready to Submit question on the eGC1 is marked “Yes”
- The eGC1 in “In OSP” status.
- The PI has given OSP access to the proposal in the sponsor system (e.g., Fastlane, proposalCentral, eRA Commons etc), if applicable.
An eGC1 does not have to be marked “Yes” RTS to be reviewed by OSP. It does have to be marked “Yes” RTS to be submitted to the sponsor.
New / Competing Renewals
Your OSP reviewer will respond within 2 business days of an eGC1 being “In OSP” status. It will be:
- Have a status update or,
- Reviewed and returned with OSP review comments or,
- Submitted, if no changes needed and marked “RTS”
OSP Review Comments: Required and Recommended Changes
If parts of the proposal or eGC1 need revision, OSP will email comments to the PI and eGC1 Administrative Contacts and return the eGC1 to the PI.
These comments will be marked as Required or Recommended Changes.
- Required Changes must be made before submission to the Sponsor.
- Recommended Changes are recommended based on OSP review.
All changes and a RTS proposal on an eGC1 and in a sponsor system, if applicable, must be “In OSP” by 5 pm 3 business days before the sponsor deadline, or you will need to request a GIM 19 Waiver.
eGC1s with significant differences from the attached proposal, where OSP does not have access to a proposal in the sponsor system or eGC1s that do not contain a proposal will be returned to the department without review by OSP until these issues are corrected by the department.