Non-Award Agreement eGC1 Instructions and Approval Process
Non-Award Agreement eGC1s
An eGC1 for a Non-Award Agreement is how OSP receives your request to review an agreement. Approval of the eGC1 by OSP does not imply approval or acceptance of the agreement. Review more details on the NAA approval process and when you need to use an eGC1.
The SAGE system requires certain eGC1 fields have an entry before it will allow you to route any eGC1 to OSP. Use Check for Errors on the eGC1 to find out which fields the system requires.
Other fields, while not required by the system, are required by OSP and noted in these instructions.
eGC1s with incomplete or incorrect information in the OSP required fields will be returned which may delay processing your request.
Non-Award Agreement eGC1 Instructions
Instructions for completing a non-award agreement eGC1 include information on which fields are required by OSP and by SAGE.
System required fields on the Details page include: Full Application Title, Short Title, Start and End Dates, Application Type, Project Type, Sponsored Program Activity (SPA) Type, and Sponsor fields.
- Long and Short Titles: Make these something meaningful
- Start and End Dates: Enter the Agreement period of performance if there is one. If not, enter “today” as the Start Date and enter an End Date at a time after that.
- Sponsor Deadline: Not required, however, if the sponsor has provided you with a deadline, include it here.
- Date needed from OSP: Not required. If available, include an actual submission deadline date or scheduled meeting date required by Sponsor, if one has been provided/decided.
- Organization Code
- Application Type:
- New Non-Award Agreement (new) for new agreements
- Continuation of Non-Award Agreement (continuation) for an amendment that modifies the terms of an existing agreement
- After the Fact application will default to [YES]
- Project Type: Select Contract
- Sponsored Program Activity (SPA) Type: Select Other Sponsored Activity
- Sponsor Details: Select correct Sponsor (or other party) Name
- Include the “Sponsor” contact name and email – OSP requires this information
- Add the phone number if available
- If readily available, provide any additional sponsor contacts in the notes field to prevent delays.
- Additional Information: If you have a related eGC1 number (i.e. sponsored project or previous NAA) enter it here. This really puts your request in context.
PI, Personnel, & Organization Page
Enter the name of the Investigator, and any Senior / Key Personnel who will have the confidential discussion, handle the data or material, work on the project, etc.
Contacts & Assign Access
Enter the Administrative Contact (could be the same as the eGC1 preparer). This is the person we will contact with questions.
Abstract & RFA/RFP
OSP requires this information.
- Describe the goal(s), specific objectives, deliverables and/or summarize expected outcomes and purpose of the agreement in as much detail as possible.
- Include any special requirements, contextual information on what is happening, or conditions you think might help us understand your need.
- What will the UW receive?
- Is there UW background Intellectual Property (IP) involved
Describing the purpose and goals in detail so that OSP understands the nature of the transaction can help prevent delays in processing your request.
Required by the system (all three sections). Enter the location where the activity will occur and click through the other two sections. For example: If you generated the data you are transferring in your lab at SLU, list the SLU location.
Budget & Fiscal Compliance/Cost Sharing
Tab straight through both of these sections. There is nothing required here.
All sections (Human Subjects, Animal Use, Environmental H&S, Equipment & Materials, Data & Technology) are required by SAGE. The answers here help OSP understand the terms that may need to be addressed in the agreement. In some cases additional approvals, licenses or tech transfer review might be needed before you proceed.
Confidential Disclosure Agreements/ Non-Disclosure Agreements (CDA/NDA) and the Human Subjects Section
CDAs and NDAs are most often used for preliminary discussions of a potential research project. Remember that, on the eGC1 for a CDA / NDA, these questions relate only to the information that will be disclosed in the preliminary discussion — not to the information that will be shared later for the actual project.
It is very rare for human subjects data to be disclosed in a preliminary discussion, and an unnecessary “yes” answer in this section will delay processing of your agreement.
- Attach an editable version of the agreement being reviewed, if you have one.
- Using a UW approved template such as the FDP DUA Templates or the UW Approved NDA will speed up review.
- Non-Disclosure Agreements: If you want OSP to issue a UW Approved NDA to the sponsor, include this request in the notes to OSP.
- Attach any background or back-up documents that will help OSP review.
- Examples: Communications with the other party, a protocol that relates to a data transfer etc.
NAA Approval Process
After eGC1 routed to OSP, a reviewer is assigned who confirms that the required info is included.
Once info on eGC1 is confirmed, OSP reviewer:
- Reviews & Approves eGC1
- eGC1 approval does not imply approval or acceptance of agreement
- Creates related Non-Award Agreement admin action (NAA)
- Reviews and negotiates the agreement
- may place an NAA on HOLD for various reasons
- Fully Executed Agreement attached
- Approves NAA admin action
- Use the MyResearch NAA dashboard for NAA approval information
NAA Status & Holds
Once an NAA is created from an eGC1, the MyResearch NAA dashboard will display the status of the NAA and contact information for the OSP reviewer. On occasion, an NAA may be placed on HOLD for various reasons.
Review the NAA Hold review areas, description, and more information & guidance.
NAA Compliance Holds
|Compliance Area||eGC1 Question||Why Hold Placed / Review areas||More Information & Guidance|
|Human Subjects||HS-1||OSP must be able to verify related IRB protocol approvals or exempt status information.||Questions about Human Subjects Research at the UW?Contact Human Subjects Division via email: email@example.com|
|Animal Use||AU-1||OSP is verifying IACUC protocol information related to the project.||Contact OAW for guidance on animal use in research|
|Equipment & Materials||E-2||OSP is reviewing terms of the award to determine if further review or licensing is required.||Review Equipment Fabrication guidance. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
If University-owned biological materials will be provided to non-UW parties. Review Material Transfer Agreement FAQs
If your project involves sharing or shipping items to or from foreign locations or with foreign nationals:
Review Export Control Measures
Contact email@example.com with questions
|Data & Technology||D-1 thru D-4||OSP is reviewing to determine if further review or licensing is required.||Review more information on:
Questions about export control? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
|SFI/FCOI||SFI/FCOI Up to date||OSP is ensuring all disclosures are made by Investigators, and that an FCOI review is complete.||One or more investigators on PI, Personnel & Organizations page lists SFI of “Yes” or “Unknown”|
Other NAA Holds:
|Hold Title / Type of Hold||Description|
|Pending Fully Executed Agreement||OSP is waiting for sponsor signature.|
|Other (Sponsor)||Revisions or additional info needed from the sponsor|
|PI Signature||PI Signature needed|
Use the MyResearch NAA dashboard to find the status of a non-award agreement.