Policies, procedures and time frames vary regarding post submission materials and requirements that must be met before an award can be issued or accepted. Check sponsor guidelines for information specific to your proposal. Some University policies and procedures regarding activity after proposal submission but before an award is made are below.
An Advance Budget Number (ABN) can be set up before an award is finalized. Use the Advance Budget Number Eligibility Tool to determine if your project meets the criteria for an Advance Budget Number. If the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) determines it is eligible, use the SAGE “Advances” module to set up the advance budget number with GCA. Review guidance from GCA on Advance Budget Set Up & Extension.
Advance Budget Number Eligibility Tool
- Track project expenditures
- ABN eligibility requests are reviewed for compliance by the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
- Maintains consistency with UW Budget numbering system
The Department Chair or Dean is responsible for any pre-award costs that are not allowed or not funded. If this is the case, the alternative department budget number provided in your ABN request will be charged.
Review UW Policy GIM 09- Advance Budget Numbers.
Advance Budget Request FAQs
What do I need to use the Advance Budget Number Eligibility Tool?
Your eGC1 number
Access to your eGC1
Access to Status Checker
The Request for Proposal (RFP), Program Announcement (PA) or Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) associated with your eGC1
IRB approval, Exempt Status Determination, or required PI assurances
IACUC approval, if applicable
Why is my eGC1 marked “ineligible” for an advance budget number (ABN)?
- OSP has not yet approved the eGC1
- The sponsor has not granted pre-award spending authority (most contracts and non-federal awards) and the department has not provided an alternate budget number to charge should the sponsor not reimburse costs incurred outside pre-award spending authority.
- The anticipated award is a federal contract of $100,000 or more or has a subaward with federal contract funding of $3,000 or more and personnel to be charged have not been verified in the E-verify system.
- Human subjects research expenditures will be charged, and IRB approval or Exempt Status determination has not been obtained.
- Animal use research expenditures will be charged, and IACUC approval has not been obtained.
- OSP has already prepared a funding action (FA) for the award and has sent it to GCA for processing.
- SFI disclosure and review is not complete.
Why did I get a browser error message for the Advance Budget Number Eligibility Tool?
“Compatibility mode” of Internet Explorer (IE) may cause the tool to think you have an older version of IE than you do.
Change the settings:
Press F12 function key to access the Developer Tools window. This displays at the bottom of the page.
Hover your mouse over the icons in the black bar at the right side of the screen and click on “Document Mode”.
In the drop-down menu, click on the choice at the top of the list – this may be “Edge”
Press the F12 key again to close the window – or use the X on the far right of the black bar.
If you are not using IE or you continue to get error messages, email email@example.com.
My sponsor requires yearly fiscal reporting and does not allow an automatic carryover. The next amendment is not here and my UW budget end date is very soon. What should I do?
An advance budget number may be appropriate. They allow the next year’s advance spending to be separated so it can be properly reported.
Required training may need to be completed before the UW can accept an award.
MyResearch – Training Transcript displays records of completed training for UW’s research required training, as well as some NIH required training offered through CITI (such as Protection of Human Subject Research Participants).
MyResearch Training Transcript
Some sponsors request additional information prior to proposal review (sometimes referred to as “Supplemental Proposal Material”). This information may include items such as updated publications. Pay close attention to requests for information regarding your proposal, including instructions for who must submit materials to the sponsor.
Send all documents that need OSP review and submission, to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your eGC1 number and PI name in the subject line.
Some sponsors request more information after the proposal has received a fundable score or review of the proposal but before making an award (sometimes referred to as “Just In Time” information). Standard requests include F&A rate agreement letters, other support information for key personnel, IRB or IACUC approval dates, and certification of required training.
Sponsor requests for this information are usually sent to both the authorized official (e.g., OSP) and the Principal Investigator. The PI prepares the documentation and provides it to OSP for review and submission to the sponsor.
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Unless the Grants Management Specialist requests that JIT materials be submitted to them directly via email by the authorized official, NIH requires applicants to submit all requested information in the eRA Commons JIT section.
Review UW guidance for NIH Other Support as it pertains to Foreign Interests.
The NIH Policy on Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) applies to all NIH-funded research that generates large-scale human or non-human genomic data as well as the use of these data for subsequent research.
Learn more about when this is required in the Human Subjects Division SOP Request for Genomic Data Sharing Certification – Investigators.
Institutional Certification cannot be provided until HSD carries out its review!
Process to submit institutional certification at JIT:
- 6-8 weeks before the award start date, follow Human Subjects Division’s Genomic Data Sharing Certification procedures for requesting Institutional Certification.
- HSD sends its review summary to PI.
- PI signs the institutional certification and uploads with JIT materials.
- Notify OSP via email@example.com. Include the eGC1 # in the subject line and indicate JIT Materials are waiting for submission.
- OSP reviews and submits JIT materials in eRA Commons to NIH.
- OSP’s submission of this documentation via eRA Commons to NIH signifies institutional certification.
While HSD approval is pending, use the NIH Provisional Institutional Certification and include with your JIT materials. OSP can then proceed with the review and submission of those materials, pending the final certification.
Process to submit institutional certification after award receipt:
- Follow HSD Genomic Data Sharing Certification procedures.
- HSD sends its review summary to PI.
- PI signs the institutional certification and sends it to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing the eGC1 number.
- OSP will sign and submit to NIH.
When the UW is a named subrecipient under another institution’s (pass-through entity) proposal to a prime sponsor, the pass-through entity may need additional information before issuing our incoming subaward, such as a project-specific certification form or the contact information for the subaward template.
If an institutional signature is required, send it to email@example.com for OSP signature.
FDP Expanded Clearinghouse Profiles (scroll to UW profile)
Forms, Tools, and Resources
- Concurrence Letter Sample
- Human Subjects Division (HSD)
- Advance Budget Request Eligibility Tool
- Institutional Facts & Rates
- Animal Use Medical Screening (AUMS)
- OAW: Institutional Compliance
- eRA Commons
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- GCA: Advance Budget Set Up & Extension
- FDP Subaward Templates
- Subaward Contacts Attachment 3b – FDP template