All OFA programming aims to provide campus, college, school, and unit leadership with the tools and resources necessary to enhance excellence through diversity and to build and retain a more inclusive faculty.
Events and Announcements
- NEW: The Handbook of Best Practices for Faculty Searches has been updated effective February 2024. For the newly updated Handbook, make sure to visit https://www.washington.edu/diversity/faculty-advancement/handbook/.
- Join the National Council for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD) with UW’s institutional membership and get access to mentoring, tools, and support to be successful in the Academy. Register to become a member at https://www.ncfdd.org/join.
The Office for Faculty Advancement supports a range of major programs:
- Handbook of Best Practices for Faculty Searches and Online Toolkit – a concise Handbook divided into six steps of the search process, supported by an expansive Toolkit of sample materials and additional resources.
- Faculty Recruitment Initiative – funds provided by the Office of the Provost to enrich competitive recruitment offers for new hires that will enhance a unit’s diversity profile in research, teaching, service, and/or outreach.
- DEI STEM Faculty Recruitment Initiative – funds provided by the Office of Research to assist in the recruitment of faculty in the STEM disciplines (broadly defined) with a proven history of supporting and mentoring BIPOC students, post-docs, and/or early-career colleagues; conducting research that benefits underrepresented or underserved communities, and/or significantly participating in programs and activities that are aimed at increasing diversity and inclusion in their field.
- Faculty Retention Initiative – funds provided by the Office of the Provost to enrich critical retention efforts for colleagues whose research, teaching, service, and/or outreach assists the university in meeting its goals for diversity and inclusion.
- Greater Washington State Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (GWS HERC) – our regional chapter of a national organization focused on increasing access to talented and diverse applicant pools and improving collaborations in cases of dual-career hiring; established at the UW in October 2013.
- Faculty Advancement Initiative (FAI) – promotes collaborations with colleges, schools, campuses, and individual units to advance the careers of faculty and to promote ongoing training in diversity/inclusion and faculty advancement for university leadership.
- UW institutional membership with the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) – an external mentoring resource for faculty, post-docs, and graduate students that includes access to online courses, monthly writing challenges, and a webinar curriculum.