Research Involving Benaroya/Virginia Mason
Research involving two institutions normally requires review by each institution’s IRB. To avoid this “dual review” and the extra work it requires from researchers, Benaroya Research Institute/Virginia Mason and the UW IRB have a reliance agreement that describes the circumstances in which one of the IRBs will conduct the review on behalf of both institutions.
What to do if Benaroya will do the review
- Request HSD’s authorization to go to the Benaroya IRB, by submitting an External IRB Application in the Zipline system. HSD will evaluate your request and provide you with written authorization for the Benaroya IRB to do the review.
- Your Benaroya co-investigator should prepare and submit the IRB application to the Benaroya IRB, using Benaroya’s forms and process. Be sure to attach the HSD authorization for Benaroya review; the Benaroya IRB will not review the application on your behalf without this written authorization.
- Obtain all other applicable ancillary reviews (see the Checklist of Researcher Responsibilities for Externally Reviewed Studies) from the usual IRB offices and Benaroya, as needed. Examples: Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) review; Radiation Safety review.
- Exception: Benaroya will provide Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) certification (if necessary) on behalf of both institutions.
What to do if UW will do the review
- Submit a UW IRB application in the Zipline system. Be sure to:
- Describe all involvement of Benaroya/Virginia Mason in your application (the Zipline SmartForms as well as the IRB Protocol form that is uploaded). This should include any funding that is received by Benaroya for the study.
- On the Study Scope SmartForm: Answer YES to Question 1 (“Are there any non-UW institutions, organizations, or individuals who will…”).
- On the External Sites SmartForm: Answer YES to Question 1 (“Do any of the non-UW institutions, organizations, or individuals involved in the activities wish to rely upon the UW IRB for review?”)
- Attach the completed SUPPLEMENT: Rely on the UW IRB.
- Your Benaraoya colleague(s) remain responsible for obtaining any applicable ancillary reviews from Benaroya/Virginia Mason. Examples: Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) review, Radiation Safety review.
- Exception: UW will provide Genomic Data Sharing (GDS) certification (if necessary) on behalf of both institutions.
BRI or UW IRB Decision Tree