Research Involving Bloodworks Northwest
The UW IRB has agreed to provide IRB review and oversight of some research in which Bloodworks Northwest is engaged. This is because of the longstanding and intertwined relationship between Bloodworks Northwest and UW hematology researchers, and because UW is often engaged in Bloodworks Northwest research.
Bloodworks Northwest may optionally obtain review from the UW IRB for all research in which it is engaged, except research that:
- Is industry sponsored, or
- Requires the use of the Exception to Informed Consent mechanism, or
- Is cancer-related and involves more than minimal risk, or
- Involves Bloodworks Northwest as the lead institution for multi-institutional research for which Single IRB review is required except when all institutions are other local institutions with which UW has standing reliance agreements (e.g. Fred Hutch).
What to do if UW will do the review
- Submit a UW IRB application in the Zipline system. Be sure to:
- Describe all involvement of Bloodworks Northwest in your application (the Zipline SmartForms as well as the IRB Protocol form that is uploaded).
- Follow the instructions for the UW Reviewing for Other Institutions pathway.
- On the Study-Related Documents SmartForm: Upload a completed SUPPLEMENT Multi-site or Collaborative Research to Question 3.
- The UW IRB will review and approve the overall protocol. This is not yet approval for the involvement of Bloodworks Northwest. After the UW IRB has approved the overall protocol, HSD’s Reliance Team will work with you to approve the addition of Bloodworks Northwest to the UW application.
- After UW IRB approval for Bloodworks Northwest has been obtained, you are responsible for:
- Informing Bloodworks Northwest of UW’s approval.
- Informing Bloodworks Northwest investigators about any conditions of the IRB approval.
- Informing Bloodworks Northwest investigators about their obligation to comply with UW IRB reporting requirements about noncompliance, complaints, problems, etc., although such reports must be submitted by you to the UW IRB.
- Bloodworks Northwest investigators remain responsible for obtaining any applicable ancillary reviews from Bloodworks Northwest. For example, Financial Conflict of Interest (FCOI) review.