SAGE for RRF Applications
SAGE is the university’s web-based system for submitting a grant application and routing it electronically for campus review and approval before it is submitted to an extramural funding source. The RRF, which is internal funding, also uses SAGE to manage its proposal applications.
- Before you Apply
- SAGE Steps that are Unique to the RRF
- SAGE Steps for RRF that are the Same as Other Applications
- Route eGC1 for Approval
If you have not used SAGE before, check with your unit’s ASTRA administrator to be sure you have access to SAGE with the appropriate role. For technical help in completing the eGC1, check with your unit’s administrator or email email@example.com.
In addition, be sure to build in time for your department and school-level approvers to review and sign off on the application so that it will get to the RRF office by 5 p.m. on the deadline day.
The instructions below explain how to complete the input fields applicable to RRF, when they vary from external submissions. If an eGC1 section is not listed below, please complete it in the same way you would for other grant proposals.
Details (Initial Page)
- Short Title – Please use RRF as the first three letters of your 22-character short title.
- Sponsor Deadline – Use the RRF due date.
- Sponsor – Select “Royalty Research Fund (RRF)”; no other sponsor information is needed.
- Does the funding originate from a different entity than the sponsor listed above (flow-through)? – Select No.
- Additional Information for RRF Applicants – This section displays at the bottom of the Details page when RRF is chosen as the Sponsor.
- Research Area – Select the one that best classifies the research. This might not match your departmental affiliation. Review the departmental affiliations of RRF Committee Members in each category. Your proposal has a better chance of being successful if it is appropriately aligned with the expertise on the committee.
- Application for RRF Scholar – Select either Yes or No.
PI, Personnel & Organization
- Use the “Look Up Principal Investigator” button to select the PI for this application. If the search results include more than one entry, select the organizational affiliation that corresponds to the department that will be receiving and administering the funding.
- If there are Co-PIs, add their names on this page so that their departments appear on the Approval Graph. Choose “Co-Investigator” from the drop-down menu for the Role Type. Please do not select “Multiple PI” even if this describes your research relationship, because it interferes with online reports used by RRF staff.
Budget & Fiscal Compliance
- For F1 “Will F&A costs be reimbursed at less than the federally negotiated rate for the UW?” – Select No.
- For F2 “Will administrative or clerical support be included in the budget as direct costs? (see GIM 23)” – Select No
- For F3 “Does this application commit funds for cost sharing or matching?” – Select No.
- From the proposal budget document, enter the subtotals for each of the Object Codes in the Total (All Periods) boxes.
- No F&A costs should be included, as RRF grants are supported with internal funds.
Non-Fiscal Compliance: Compliance approvals for research involving human subjects, animals, or certain environmental conditions are not required until after awards are announced, but please answer these questions accurately.
Attached Documents: Label your attachments as Draft until your application is ready to submit, then label the attachments as Final.
When your proposal is complete, the status of the eGC1 will change from “In OSP” to “Approved.” Depending on the number of submissions, it might take a few days of processing for all eligible proposals to reach “Approved” status.