Advance Request Overview

A Principal Investigator (PI) or Research Administrator (RA) can request authorization to spend in advance of the receipt of an award or setup of an award in UW systems. The sponsor must allow pre-award funding and the department must guarantee these expenditures if an award does not come through. The UW authorizes advance spending through the assignment of an advance budget number.

Review GIM 09 Advance Budget Numbers.