Users default to the Dashboard after logging into Zipline. From the Dashboard, you can create new submissions, easily access recently viewed or pinned submissions, and view My Inbox. My Inbox contains applications that require you (or your team members) to take action. The most recently viewed submissions and any pinned submissions are displayed in the lefthand column. All other submissions are in the IRB Submissions Library. Both My Inbox and the Submissions Library allow filtering and sorting.
Table of Contents
The Dashboard contains:
- The 10 most recently viewed submissions;
- Any submissions that you have pinned for quick access;
- My Inbox, which shows submissions that require action from you or your team;
- My Reviews, which is most useful for faculty advisors and IRB committee members;
- The create menu, used to create new studies and reports of new information; and
- Quick links, which have been shortened to IRB Home and IRB Reports. Select IRB Home to go to the main IRB menu, which contains the Submissions area and the Meetings area.
The Recently Viewed section in the lefthand column of the Dashboard is split into 2 parts
- Recent- displays the last 10 submissions that you viewed
- Pinned- displays all submissions that you have pinned
To pin a submission, simply select the thumbtack icon displaying on any recent submission. Only submissions that are in the recently viewed column can be pinned. To unpin, simply deselect the thumbtack icon.
My Inbox displays any applications that require you (or someone on your team) to take action. Look at the State column to identify the reason the needed action. Click on the name of the submission to open it. See the Action Needed by Submission State table below for explanation of action needed.
Action Needed by Submission State
|Pre-Submission||Complete the application forms. The PI or PI proxy must submit to HSD before review begins.|
|Clarification Requested||Edit the SmartForm and attachments to clarify as needed, and provide summary notes to the IRB when submitting the changes. The PI or PI proxy must submit the response.
Note: If the clarification was requested from Committee Review, you can only provide notes. You are not allowed to edit the study.
|Modifications Required||Modify the application to meet IRB requirements and submit it with changes. The PI or PI proxy must submit the response.|
|Deferred||Review the deferral letter from the IRB. Edit the SmartForm and attachments to clarify as needed, and provide summary notes to the IRB when submitting the changes. The PI or PI proxy must submit the response.|
The My Reviews tab displays a subset of the submissions in My Inbox where you have been assigned as a reviewer. This tab is most helpful for faculty advisors and IRB members. For most users, nothing will display in this tab.
IRB Submissions Library
The Submissions area contains all IRB submissions, regardless of type and state. Note that the submissions you see depend on your user permissions.
Accessing IRB Submissions:
1. Click the IRB Home link in the lefthand column
or click IRB and then Submissions in the Main Menu at the top of the screen
2. Click the relevant tab in the Submissions Library- if displayed, click the ellipsis to see additional tab options
- If you are unsure which tab to use, we recommend All Submissions
- See the chart below for an explanation of the Submissions Library tabs
3. If desired, use filtering and sorting on the displayed list
4. Click the name of the desired submission to open the submission workspace
Submission Library Tabs
|In-Review||Shows all applications that are currently somewhere in the review process for the UW IRB. This includes applications requiring action from anyone, not just you or your team.|
|Active||Shows all studies that have completed the review process and are currently active. This includes studies with lapsed approval and studies with determinations of Not Human Research or Human Research, Not Engaged.|
|New Information Reports||Shows all reports of new information. This includes reports that are in review and reports that have completed the review process.|
|External IRB||Shows all UW studies that are being reviewed by a non-UW IRB, as well as any modifications or updates associated with external IRB studies.|
|Relying Sites||Shows non-UW sites for institutions relying on the UW for IRB review.|
|Archived||Shows all submissions that are no longer active due to closure, termination, being discarded, or being withdrawn. Also includes some studies with a determination of Not Research, Not Human Research, or Human Research, Not Engaged.|
|All Submissions||Shows all submissions, regardless of type or state.|
Using Filtering and Sorting
Many pages contain tables you can filter and sort to help you find the data you want.
- Filtering reduces the list to only the data that meets the criteria. The advanced filter lets you combine multiple filter criteria together.
- Sorting displays the data in ascending or descending order by a particular column.
1. Select the column to filter by from the drop-down menu. The menu only lists columns that you can use to filter.
2. In the next box, type the beginning characters for the items you want to find. If you do not know the beginning characters, type a % symbol as a wildcard before the characters. Examples:
- 71 shows all items beginning with 71
- %71 shows all items containing 71 in any position
3. Click the Search icon to apply the filter
- TIP: For examples and a list of operators you can use, click the Help icon.
To Add Filters:
- In the Filter By area, click Add Filter
- Enter filter criteria. To add additional criteria, click Add Filter again
- Click the Search Icon to apply the filter
To Sort Data:
Click the column header you want use to sort. Click it a second time to reverse the sort order. The arrow indicates the column by which the data is sorted and the sort order, either ascending (up arrow) or descending (down arrow).
- Note: If the column header is not a link, you cannot sort by that column.