The IRB first conducts a Pre-Review of each application to determine: (1) whether the project requires IRB review; and if it does require review (2) what type of review is needed. The webpage Do I Need IRB Review? walks researchers through those details. More information about each of those questions can be found in the materials below.
- Is it Research? guidance
- Human Subjects Research Determination worksheet allows researchers to self-determine whether their project needs IRB review.
- Data Sets Not Requiring IRB Review lists public data sets that do not require IRB review.
- Exempt Research guidance
- Engagement is a regulatory concept for determining whether research activities undertaken by UW employees/agents need IRB review for multi-institutional research.
- SOP IRB Review describes the procedures for conducting IRB review at the expedited and full board level and including initial submission, modifications, and continuing review.
- The Expedited Review worksheet lists the criteria for determining whether an application is eligible to be reviewed by the expedited process.
- SOP Appeal of IRB or HSD Determination describes the procedures researchers may use to appeal a decision made by the UW IRB or HSD.
- The IRB uses these Criteria for Approval to decide if a study can be approved.