While a Modification Request (MOD) is not required when the sponsor allows a PI to directly submit a progress report, a MOD is still required for many other types of progress reports.
OSP will return MODs without review when submitted and they are not needed.
Use a SAGE Modification Request (OSP/GCA) when a sponsor:
Requires OSP signature or submission on a progress report such as:
- NIH non-SNAP Annual RPPR
- Sponsor requests related to progress reports that require OSP signature or submission, such as non-SNAP Progress Report Additional Materials (PRAM) and Interim Report Additional Materials (IRAM).
- Some federal flow-through awards, IF the pass-through entity requires a signature or a Letter of Intent.
- Don’t assume they require a signature.
- Confirm with the pass-through entity before preparing the modification request.
MODs are NOT needed for progress reports/RPPRs when:
- Sponsor allows direct submission of the progress report by the PI.
- NIH: SNAP eligible Annual, Interim, or Final RPPRs
- NIH: Interim and Final RPPRs
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center (FHCC)
- FHCC does not require OSP signature on progress report materials / Letter of Intent for non-competing years.
Whether a MOD is required for a progress report or not, don’t forget to update the personnel section of the original eGC1 whenever personnel join or leave a research project.
Personnel added to an eGC1 will need to complete disclosure in the Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS).