RCR Training Instructions
NSF RCR Training
All University of Washington (UW) undergraduate, graduate students and postdoctoral researchers working on NSF-sponsored research projects are required to complete Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI).
USDA-NIFA RCR Training Requirements for all Investigators
All UW Investigators working on NIFA-sponsored research projects are required to complete RCR training provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI).
Self-register for the course on the CITI program web site.
- Click on the link for “New Users Register Here.”
- Select an institution – in most cases it should be the University of Washington.
Note: Indicate if you have affiliations with the VA, Dept of Energy, or HIV/AIDS Network Coordination. You will be able to provide information about multiple affiliations later.
- Select a username and password. These will be used to re-enter the course or to obtain completion information, so be sure to remember and retain these for later use.
- Enter your name. Please enter a complete first and last name, using upper and lower case letters.
- Enter your email address. You may enter only one, but may enter a “preferred” and “secondary” address.
- Provide “Member Information.” Only fields with a red asterisk * are required.
- Select a curriculum. There are two pages where you must select curriculum. On the first page, select Graduate study and receiving funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF). If you are only taking the RCR curriculum, you will be asked on the second curriculum selection page to select from the following courses within the curriculum. Please select the most appropriate course pertaining to the research you will be conducting. If you have any questions regarding which course you should take, please contact your department contact.
Note: Please complete all fields that are optional. This will better assist our institution in tracking registration and completion information about each registered user.
CITI RCR CURRICULUM TYPES
- Researchers and research staff (including faculty, staff, and students) who are engaged, primarily or exclusively, in research in Biomedical Sciences.
- Researchers and research staff (including faculty, staff, and students) who are engaged, primarily or exclusively, in research in the Social and/or Behavioral Sciences.
- Physical Sciences
- Researchers and research staff (including faculty, staff, and students) who are engaged primarily or exclusively, in research in the Physical Sciences.
- Researchers and research staff (including faculty, staff, and students) who are engaged primarily or exclusively, in research in Humanities.
- Researchers and research staff (including faculty, staff, and students) who are engaged primarily or exclusively, in research in Engineering.
The CITI RCR Course is divided into modules. Most modules have a short quiz at the end that must be completed before moving on to the next module.
A quiz can be taken more than once in order to obtain a score of 75% or better (the overall average that is required for satisfactory completion).
Learners can start and stop the course at any time. What you have done will besaved and, after logging off the CITI site ? upon returning you will begin at the same point where you had stopped.
CITI TECHNICAL SUPPORT CONTACT
For problems with the CITI course or website,contact CITI directly:
CITI Help Desk: firstname.lastname@example.org or 305-243-7970
Successful CITI RCR training completion can be confirmed in the following different ways:
- Confirm Completion via MyResearch (requires UW NetID)
Completion records for those individuals who have passed the CITI RCR course can be accessed on MyResearch on the Training Transcript tab. Print or save completion reports from the CITI website.
- Contact your appropriate RCR Training Contact
See “RCR Training Contacts” (listed to the right) for the appropriate contact for questions about training completion reports.