Updated February 15, 2024
With UWFT, the new SAGE Award feature streamlines the award setup and modification process, and provides transparency into key award information. To help with award management, the award details and modification requests are viewable from both SAGE and Workday.
SAGE Award Highlights:
- New SAGE forms and system functionality replace email communications
- A familiar, user friendly experience in SAGE, similar to advance requests
- Autofill of eGC1 and SAGE Budget information on award request forms
- Shared views for award preparers and reviewers to improve collaboration
- Visibility into award status, history, and communication
- Integrations with Workday for added streamlining of award setup
SAGE Award Workflow
Award Workflow Overview
- eGC1 is approved and the Notice of Award (NoA) is received.
- Initiate award setup request in SAGE. If only the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) receives the NoA, they will initiate the request. Otherwise, campus users will initiate the request.
- Copy and modify an existing budget (or create a new SAGE Budget).
- Link the eGC1 and SAGE Budget to the award.
- Complete required award fields and submit the award setup request for review and processing.
- OSP and GCA review, approve, and process the award setup request.
- Once approved, the award appears in Workday, spending is enabled, and you receive a notification that the award is ready!
- From Workday you can begin all activity on your award.
High-Level Award Workflow Diagram
In-Depth Award Workflow Diagram
Awards Section and Landing Page
To access SAGE Awards, select the new AWARDS tab. From here, the SAGE Awards landing page includes the option to create a request, view a list of all Award and Modification Requests, as well as links to helpful resources. The Processed Awards list will be available soon.
Award Setup Request
Review the Tips for Success – Award Setup and Modification Requests in SAGE webpage for guidance.
Campus units (you) and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) both receive notice of awards (NoAs) from sponsors and can create Award Setup Requests in SAGE. However,
- When the PI/campus unit receives an award, whether or not OSP is included, the PI/campus unit should create an Award Setup Request as soon as possible. This will ensure a complete Award Setup Request gets to the appropriate OSP reviewer as timely as possible.
- When OSP receives or retrieves an Award and the PI is not included on the notification, OSP will create an Award Setup Request and route it to campus for completion.
After you initiate an award setup request, by default the General Information page displays with pre-populated details from your eGC1 (Title, Periods, Sponsor Details, PI/Department, etc.). You can update the General Information sections as needed.
Create & Link SAGE Award Budget
From the Budget & Award Lines section, search for your SAGE Award Budget by PI, Title, or BudgetID, and connect it to your Award Setup Request.
Select your budget and the authorized periods, and your budget information displays here! Any changes made to your SAGE Budget syncs back to the award request form, up until it is submitted for routing. If there is a difference between your SAGE Budget and the Sponsor Award, review the Guidelines for a Budget Difference Between the SAGE Award Budget and the Sponsor Award job aid for getting your SAGE award budget and the amount awarded by the sponsor to match.
Clinical Trials Office (CTO) Budgets ONLY: Create & Link Minimum Information SAGE Award Budget
Clinical Trials Office (CTO) Budgets (Creating a Clinical Trials Budget for SAGE Awards Job Aid): Budgets that will run through CTO review and Oncore billing will enter the following minimum information in a single SAGE Budget worksheet with $0 amount. This setup should only take a few minutes:
- Budget Title
- Budget Start Date
- Total number of periods (defaults to 1)
- Primary Worksheet Title
- Cost Center
- Activity Location
- Sponsored Program Activity Category
- Sponsored Program Activity Type
- Base Type (F&A need)
- Add a Principal Investigator for each worksheet
- Enter $0 budget amounts for their salary
- No other line item entry is required for the budget
After you create your SAGE Budget, link it to your Award Setup Request.
SFI & FCOI
SFI disclosure and FCOI training status auto-populate from the eGC1. Missing disclosures or training display here to remind you of any actions needed.
COMING SOON: Cost Share
Cost Share information auto-populates from your eGC1. From here, you can upload an updated Cost Share Addendum as needed.
Review & Submit Award to OSP
Review a read-only version of your SAGE Award Setup Request before submitting it to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). If the award is missing any information, this clearly displays at the top of the page.
OSP & GCA Review/Approve
OSP will review your SAGE Award Setup Request and either approve it or return it if changes are needed. Once approved, OSP will send it to GCA for review and approval. GCA can return the award to OSP and request corrections, or return it directly to you for corrections. Once approved, GCA will integrate the award data from SAGE to Workday.
Monitor Award Requests
Once a request has been started, it will display in the Award Requests list, linked to from the Award Landing Page. Search, filter and sort the list to find the awards or award modifications of interest.
Receive Notification When the Award is Ready
Once your SAGE Award is approved, set up in Workday, and ready to use, you will receive a notification that the award is ready. At this point, you will use Workday for spending, reviewing invoices, and tracking expenditures.
COMING SOON: SAGE Award Activity Record
Once your SAGE Award Setup Request is processed, view the current award information at any time from the SAGE Award Activity Record. To access the SAGE Award Activity Record, select the award from your Processed Awards List, linked from the Award Landing Page. From here, review items related to the award including:
- Award overview information
- Actions & Requests history (both completed and “in-flight”)
- The latest award details (terms and conditions, budget summary, etc.)
Review the Tips for Success – Award Setup and Modification Requests in SAGE webpage for guidance.
To request an award modification, visit the SAGE Awards landing page and click the Create A Request button.
Select the appropriate type of Award Modification: Routing to both OSP and GCA or routing to GCA only.
Search by Award ID to select the award requiring a modification.
From here, you can choose the type of modification, and add any additional supporting details.
Review a read-only version of your Modification Details before submitting.
Monitor the status of your modification requests from the Award Requests list.
Prepare for Changes Coming to SAGE
SAGE Office Hours
Join us for virtual SAGE office hours each week. Drop in and ask our experts any questions you have about SAGE.
Expand for Each Month’s Office Hours:
- Award Setup and Tracking in SAGE: In depth instruction on SAGE Awards usage, including creating Award Setup Request and Monitoring Award Requests
- SAGE Budget eLearning: This on-demand resources allows you to learn/reference all aspects of SAGE Budget via lectures with demonstrations. Content covered is similar to that in the live class but highly flexible in that you can search for and view specific content as you need it.
NOTE: SAGE Budget eLearning is not a substitution for the live course and does not count toward fulfilling certificate requirements.
- SAGE Award Setup Workflow Video: An overview of the SAGE Award Setup workflow.
- What’s Changing in SAGE?: A high-level overview of changes coming to SAGE, including SAGE Award Setup Requests, Cost Centers, SAGE Budget and Award Lines, and more!
- SAGE Budget: With UWFT, campus units are required to use SAGE Budget for award setup. The SAGE Budget class provides an overview of how to establish budget settings, add personnel and costs, create sub budgets, and link budgets to an eGC1. Learn more and register.
- SAGE Awards: The SAGE Awards course provides an overview of the award and modification process in SAGE. The SAGE Awards section allows research administrators to accurately create and track Award Setup Requests, which is an essential part of the research lifecycle.
- Award Modifications in SAGE: Campus and the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) can create and route Award Modifications, and filter modification requests by request type and status from the Award Requests list.
- What Workday Grant Worktag ID Information Do I Need for a SAGE Modification Request?: View a roadmap of what information is needed to process a Modification.
- Guidelines for a Budget Difference Between the SAGE Award Budget and the Sponsor Award: Review guidance for getting your SAGE award budget and the amount awarded by the sponsor to match. An award budget must match the amount identified on the Notice of Award (NoA) by the sponsor. If the amounts do not match, the Award Setup Request will be returned.
- How to Find an Award ID Number in Award Portal: Use Award Portal to find this required information when requesting Award Modifications.
- How to Find a Workday Grant Worktag ID in Award Portal: Grant Worktag IDs are required when requesting most Modifications.
- How to Make a Comment on a SAGE Modification Request: Learn how to leave a comment to provide additional information to OSP and GCA on requested Award Modifications.
- How to Make a SAGE Budget Snapshot: Budget snapshots can be shared with OSP and GCA to communicate specific budget information.
- How to Include Your SAGE Budget Snapshot on a SAGE Modification Request: Temporarily, requested budget Award Modification require SAGE Budget snapshots to be sent to GCA.
- How to Set Up Training Grants in SAGE Budget
- Organization Code (Org Code) to Cost Center: Cost Centers have replaced Financial Organization Codes (Org Codes) across the SAGE Suite. If you have questions or run into issues, please review the following table to better understand possible causes and assist SAGE Customer Support (email@example.com) staff with resolving your issue: SAGE Org Code to Cost Center Support.
- SAGE Budget: Reference a step-by-step guide on creating and managing budgets in SAGE.
Additional SAGE Budget Training Resources
- SAGE Budget User Guide: In-depth documentation on all aspects of SAGE Budget.
- SAGE Budget Training Site: The SAGE Budget training site offers a “sandbox” for you to explore and experiment with SAGE Budget without affecting production data. Once you are ready to create a real SAGE Budget for routing, visit the production site.
NOTE: SAGE Budget requires a UW NetID to log in and at least one authorized role. If you are new to using SAGE and need access, visit Accessing SAGE for more information.
- Subscribe to the MRAM mailing list to stay informed of timely and relevant research administration information.
- Subscribe to the ORIS mailing list for information on SAGE maintenance, feature releases, and system availability.
Monthly Research Administration Meeting (MRAM)
MRAM is open to staff interested in research award administration at the UW. In addition to other research administration topics, we share relevant UWFT information at MRAM. Visit the MRAM website for more information.