April 12, 2023
Delayed awards due to late WA state single audit filing
We have been informed that the state single audit, carried out by the State Auditor’s Office, was not filed on time. The UW’s Internal Audit anticipates that the audit report will not be filed in the Federal Clearinghouse before June 30th, 2023.
Due to this delay, we are seeing some agencies and pass-through entities waiting to issue awards or award modifications to UW until the audit is filed.
If you are impacted by this delay:
- Consider requesting an advance budget
- Advance budgets allow spending on an award before it is established at the UW.
- The sponsor must allow pre-award funding and the department must guarantee these expenditures if an award does not come through.
- Consider requesting a temporary extension
- Temporary budget extensions allow you to keep an already established budget active so you may continue to spend while awaiting sponsor approvals for a no cost-extension or a supplement/extension.
If you have any questions on whether you should request an advance budget or a temporary extension, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a specific circumstance and these two options are not possible, please email email@example.com with your situation so we can help work with you to reach out to the sponsor.
However, we strongly encourage requesting advance budgets or temporary budget extensions at this time as your first approach in light of the audit delay.
If you are supplying information as part of the State Auditor’s single audit work, please respond to the document request as soon as possible to assist in getting the UW portion of the audit completed.