PI Training Resources
This page provides information and links to UWFT-related courses and training resources for PIs and Grant Managers.
Access Workday training by logging into the Bridge LMS with your NetID and password, and navigate to the Learning section to see courses that have been assigned to you.
Types of Training
An eLearning is an online training that covers a set of objectives or topics in depth. Formats may include interactive courses that could be text or video-based and could include comprehension checks.
A nanolearning (also known as microlearning) is a short, engaging training that answers a single question or niche topic. Typically, they can be short videos or infographics.
A job aid is a reference guide to completing a particular task, formatted in an easy-to-follow, linear format. Depending on user needs, job aids could be in a format of a web page or a printable PDF.
Instructor-led training is a longer learning session conducted by a live teacher, either in person or using a virtual training platform, allowing questions to be addressed in real-time.
Foundational Workday Training
Foundational Workday training provides general courses appropriate for finance users. These courses are not required.
If you do not have much experience using Workday, it may be useful to take the following Foundational course before beginning your role-specific training:
- GEN-E-01 Workday Navigation (20 minute eLearning)
Other Foundational training can be completed as needed:
- GEN-E-02 Introduction to Finance and Accounting (1 hour eLearning)
- GEN-E-03 Workday Finance Fundamentals: FDM, Journals and Ledgers (1 hour 15 minute eLearning)
- GEN-E-04 Reporting Approach (25 minute eLearning)
- GEN-J-01 Security Role Request (job aid)
- GEN-J-02 How to Understand Workday Reports (job aid)
- GEN-J-07 How to Manage Delegations in Workday (job aid)
- GEN-J-08 How to Access a Delegated Finance Inbox in Workday (job aid)
- GEN-J-04 How to Use Inbox Filters to Manage Your Work in Workday (job aid)
- GEN-J-05 Workday Finance for Employee-As-Self (job aid)
Role-Based Workday Training
The following Workday training resources are available via the Bridge LMS based on your Workday role(s) and access. If you think you should have been assigned a role that you don’t have, please contact your administrator.
Principal Investigator (Grants) Role
PIs with active awards are automatically assigned the Principal Investigator (Grants) role. This simply means that you have the authority to see and approve spending on your awards.
- Workday Finance Grants for Principal Investigators (10 minute nanolearning)
Grant Manager Role
Some PIs who do not have administrative support also receive the Grant Manager role, which includes additional training requirements. If this applies to you, check with your unit administrator to make sure you have had the Grant Manager role assigned to you.
- Workday Grant Management Reporting (15 minute eLearning)
- Workday Post Award Overview (15 minute nanolearning)
- Workday Finance for Awards & Grants Part 2 (15 minute nanolearning)
- Workday Introduction to Procurement (30 minute eLearning)
- Workday Procurement and Supply Chain Overview (10 minute nanolearning)
- How to Edit Grants in Workday (job aid)
- How to Navigate Grant Hierarchies in Workday (job aid)
- How to Create an Advance Award (job aid)
- How to Manage ProCard in Workday (job aid)
- How to Approve Finance Transactions in Workday (job aid)
- Award Setup and Tracking in SAGE (45 minute eLearning)
Employee Compensation Compliance (ECC) Training
ECC training for faculty and support staff is being released throughout Fall 2023. Below are currently available ECC training resources:
- Effort Reporting: An Introduction to Employee Compensation Compliance (ECC) (7 minute nanolearning)
- ECC Coordinator Training (1.5 hour virtual instructor-led training)
- Weekly ECC Office Hours
For the latest information on upcoming training, visit the ECC Training Timeline.