A legal instrument (award) of financial assistance between a sponsor and a recipient. The purpose is to transfer something of value to carry out a public purpose and not to acquire property or services. It is not cash, subsidy or a loan. There is substantial involvement, as defined by the sponsor, in implementation of the cooperative agreement.
Some examples of substantial agency involvement may include federal personnel:
- Participating on committees central to the project.
- Participating in protocol design or development.
- Coordinating or participating in data collection, analysis, and interpretation.
- Coordinating or training project staff.
- Participating in selection and approval of data analysis mechanisms.
- Approving a stage of a clinical trial or other collaborative project before the next stage starts.
- Coauthoring papers.
- Providing federal resources to the project.
- Helping with management and technical performance.
Cooperative Agreement is a project type on the eGC1 in SAGE.
Examples adapted from: https://www.niaid.nih.gov/research/when-cooperative-agreement