Individual with the ultimate authority and responsibility for leading, directing, and reporting on an award, intellectually and logistically, on behalf of the UW.
This includes design, management, and conduct of the award or research project. The PI has the responsibility to ensure that funds are spent appropriately and according to sponsor requirements, UW policies, and cost principles.
Typically the lead scientist or engineer for a particular science (or other research) project, such as a laboratory study or clinical trial.
Commonly also referred to as the PI.
Related Terms & Resources:
- Who is considered an Investigator and needs to disclose Significant Financial Interest?
- Grants Information Memorandum (GIM)
- UW Data & Information – Knowledge Navigator: Principal Investigator
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Policy Statement
- National Science Foundation (NSF ): PI Definition