Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center
Our interdisciplinary faculty and staff conduct research, train scientists, educate public health practitioners, and implement prevention programs to achieve injury-related health equity across the lifespan, because all people belong in the circle of human concern.
About Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center
The Harborview Injury Prevention & Research Center (HIPRC) is a worldwide leader in injury cause and prevention research. Founded in 1985, we are affiliated with the University of Washington and Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. We are committed to public engagement and strive to partner with impacted communities in achieving injury prevention and health equity across the lifespan.
HIPRC is a CDC-funded Injury Control Research Center (ICRC). The ICRC network is funded by the CDC’s National Center for Injury Prevention and Control to find ways to prevent injury and violence. HIPRC is the only ICRC in the western half of the United States. HIPRC is a joint initiative of the University of Washington School of Medicine and Harborview Medical Center.
HIPRC Research Focus
HIPRC directs its research and programs towards groups at greatest risk of injury and trauma including children, the elderly, the poor, people of color, and residents of rural areas. We also have a growing list of projects designed to reduce the burden of injury and trauma across the globe. HIPRC primary areas of injury research include:
HIPRC Approach to Injury Control
HIPRC works to improve health and safety by:
- Focusing research on the injuries that are most common or severe, and those that affect vulnerable populations, including children, the elderly and low-income groups.
- Developing and evaluating new injury prevention programs using behavior change, education, government action, and environmental modification.
- Employing a multi-disciplinary approach to finding effective strategies to prevent injuries and to improve care for those who are injured.
- Training new investigators in injury research and educating health professionals, policy makers, and the public about traumaâ€™s magnitude, costs, and prevention.
- Translating injury research into policy by working with community groups, law enforcement, government agencies, and recreational groups to achieve mutual injury prevention goals.
- Publishing findings in peer-reviewed journals and sharing those findings in the news media.
Core Services Offered
Training & Education Core
School of Medicine
Harborview Medical Center
Grants from government agencies and private foundations
Dean, School of Medicine
Related UW Entities
UW School of Medicine and Harborview Medical Center
Faculty Members from UW Schools
School of Medicine
School of Public Health
School of Nursing
School of Social Work
School of Pharmacy
School of Engineering
School of Dentistry
School of Law
Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC)
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Brain Injury Alliance of Washington (BIAWA)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Central Region EMS & Trauma Care Council
Forefront: Innovations in Suicide Prevention
Harborview Medical Center (HMC)
International World Health Organization (WHO)
National Center for Injury Prevention and Control (NCIPC)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Public Health Seattle & King County (PHSKC)
Safe Kids Seattle
Safe Kids Washington
Seattle Children’s Hospital (SCH)
Seattle City Council
Seattle Police Department (SPD)
Seattle Fire Department (SFD)
Society for Advancement of Violence and Injury Research (SAVIR)
US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)
US Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic
Safety Administration (DOT/NHTSA)
UW Center for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (CEDI)
UW Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE)
UW Northwest Center for Excellence in Media Literacy
UW Northwest Center for Public Health Practice
UW School of Medicine (SOM)
UW School of Public Health (SPH)
UW School of Nursing (SON)
UW School of Social Work (SSW
UW Social Development Research Group (SDRG)
Washington Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs (WASPC)
Washington Poison Center (WAPC)
Washington State Patrol (WSP)
Washington State Department of Health (DOH)
Washington State Transportation Center (UW TRAC)
Western Pacific Injury Prevention Network (WPIPN)
YMCA Seattle/King County