The UW Autism Center is an organization devoted to supporting families affected by autism spectrum disorders through innovative and state-of-the-art clinical services, scientific research, and training and outreach activities.
Core Services Offered
- Assessments: Clinical and diagnostic evaluations are available from disciplines including pediatrics, psychology, speech-language pathology, and neurology
- Intervention: Direct intervention services include early behavioral therapy, individual therapy, and social and organizational skills groups; these services are provided by behavior analysts, educators, psychologists, and speech-language pathologists:
- Parent support: is available through a parent education series entitled TIES: Training, Information, Empowerment, Support, designed for parents of newly diagnosed children with autism spectrum disorders. Families receive information, training, and support in order to prepare for life with a child with autism:
- The UWAC is engaged in several national and international collaborations in addition to several independent projects researching ASD. Funding support comes from private foundations and the National Institutes of Health. http://depts.washington.edu/uwautism/research/index.html
Training & Outreach:
- In-service training and consultation is available for school districts, community agencies, and mental health settings.
- The training program is open to post-graduate-level clinicians in the fields of clinical psychology, developmental psychology, school psychology, and education.
- Pre-doctoral fellowships: The UWAC sponsors nine- to twelve-month, part-time pre-doctoral internships each year starting in the summer or fall.
- Summer intensive: The UW Autism Center offers an annual summer training workshop series for parents and professionals who work with individuals with autism spectrum disorders:
Private endowment, 2000-present
State funding, 2004-present
NICHD Autism Center of Excellence, 2007-2012
Center on Human Development and Disability, Board of Health Sciences Deans
Related UW Entities
College of Education
School of Medicine: Department of Psychiatry, Department of Radiology, Department of Medical Genetics, Department of Rehabilitation, Department of Speech and Hearing, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Neurology
School of Nursing