The UW Autism Center is an organization devoted to supporting families affected by autism spectrum disorders through innovative and state-of-the-art clinical services, scientific research, and training and outreach activities.
Core Services Offered
- Assessments: Clinical and diagnostic evaluations are available from disciplines including pediatrics, psychology, and speech-language pathology
- Intervention: Direct intervention services include early behavioral therapy, individual therapy, and social and organizational skills groups; these services are provided by behavior analysts, educators, psychologists, and speech-language pathologists
- Parent support: The UWAC provides individual therapy for parents of children with autism; parent groups for newly diagnosed toddlers; speech-language therapist-led Hanen groups for parents; and sleep intervention through individualized behavioral strategies and group coaching for parents of children with autism and sleep disturbance. We also offer group and individual sessions for parents and individuals with ASD who want to enhance their understanding of neurodiversity.
- The UWAC is engaged in several national and international collaborations in addition to several independent projects researching ASD. Funding support comes from private foundations and the National Institutes of Health.
- Training and Consultation is available for school districts, community agencies, and mental health settings.
- The UW Autism Center regularly offers Live and Recorded Webinars. Sign-up is available to receive email updates on future trainings.
- The Student Training Program offers clinical training and supervisory experience to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows in clinical psychology, school psychology, speech-language pathology, education, and related disciplines with the goal of preparing future professionals to provide direct service to or conduct research with children, adolescents, and adults with ASD.
NICHD Autism Center of Excellence 2007- present
Center on Human Development and Disability and Office of the Provost/Executive Office
Related UW Entities
College of Education
School of Medicine: Department of Psychiatry, Department of Radiology, Department of Medical Genetics, Department of Rehabilitation, Department of Speech and Hearing, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Neurology
School of Nursing