- A named Administrative PI is responsible on behalf of UW for Principal Investigator final review and submission of the proposal and progress reports as well as the overall fiscal management of the sponsored program.
- They are responsible for making determinations regarding transactions involving, or of interest to, an outside entity with which the PI may have a relationship or interest. This includes:
- An entity with which the PI has a Financial Conflict Of Interest (FCOI).
- A sponsor, such as when the PI is named as the PI on the prime award at another entity, and that entity is issuing a subaward to UW.
- A vendor or consultant contract in which the procurement activity should be reviewed by an independent assessor (in this case the Administrative PI) who has equivalent or more senior title to the conflicted Investigator.
- The Administrative PI shall not have any relationship with the outside entity, unless it is an affiliated entity with which the UW has a formal affiliation agreement, and at which the Administrative PI has a joint appointment.
*This mechanism is not to be used in cases where the University must request Sponsor approval for changes in PI.