When a principal investigator (PI) at the University of Washington (UW) decides to solicit funding for a project from a sponsor, he or she identifies an appropriate funding opportunity. Then, often with the assistance of a research administrator, the PI puts together a proposal according to the sponsor’s instructions. From the proposal information, the PI and/or research administrator create an online application—called an “eGC1”—in SAGE (System to Administer Grants Electronically). The application provides the means to route the proposal information around campus and to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) for approval before the research team or OSP submits the proposal to the sponsor. eGC1 stands for electronic Grant and Contract form 1.
Applications are sometimes also referred to as eGC1s, but the terms are not synonymous. The eGC1 is used internally for
- routing proposals for approval
- documenting approval by units when supplemental funds arrive in OSP
- documenting an After-the-Fact (ATF) condition, when a department has already received an award and the system has no previous eGC1 on record for the funding
The application includes the proposal components for submission to the sponsor. It also includes:
- Information about the PI and any other research personnel
- The funding agency (sponsor) and its submission deadline
- The proposed dates and type of funding
- A brief description of the project (abstract)
- The budget and any cost sharing information
- The attached proposal documents that will be submitted to the sponsor
- Attachments of any other relevant documents needed by reviewers.
The Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for reviewing all the materials in an application to ensure that the proposal is in compliance with UW requirements, federal and state regulations, is responsive to the particular Sponsor requirements, and is ready for submission to the Sponsor.
To access detailed information for any sections within an application, use the help links. The application help pages are part of the SAGE User Guide for campus users.