Skip to content

Partner Programs

Partner Programs

Partner Programs are approved study abroad options administered by other universities, study abroad providers, or foreign language schools.

Quick Facts


April 1 – Summer

May 1 – Early Fall & Autumn

November 1 – Winter & Spring

*Some partner programs have earlier deadlines. Please consult the individual program brochure for specific deadlines. 

Partner programs typically open about 6 months prior to the deadline.

Duration & Credits

Programs vary in length and credit amounts awarded.

Typical terms and credits are:

  • Quarter – 12 credits*
  • Semester – 20-24 credits
  • Year-long – 36-48 credits

*Summer programs may be shorter than a quarter and be awarded fewer than 12 credits.

Exact UW credits and courses will be determined upon return to UW.


Fixed costs paid to UW:

  • Study Abroad administrative fee
  • UW Student Abroad insurance (waived for some providers)

Fixed costs paid to Partner Provider

  • Program fee

Additional estimated expenses vary based on the program and can be found in each brochure and on the partner provider’s website.

Application Process

Partner Programs require TWO applications.

Step 1: Begin a UW Study Abroad application.

Step 2: Begin a partner provider application.

To get started, begin a UW Study Abroad application.

See below for more details on the application process and timeline.

Delve Deeper

Partner Programs are well-suited for students who seek coursework in specific or varied fields of study, desire on-site support, and may or may not have proficiency in a foreign language. Depending on the program, instruction may be in English, the language of the host country, or a combination of the two. Some Partner Programs focus on specific topics while others offer a wide range of course options in various subjects.

UW has approved a variety of programs through study abroad providers. For each program, you’ll need to complete two applications, one through UW Study Abroad and one through the partner provider. Each partner program has a UW program brochure with useful information about that specific program. There is also a link to the specific provider website, where you’ll find detailed information about costs, courses, housing, program dates and more.

The providers that we partner with are below: 

  • CETCET Academic Programs is a study abroad organization that has been developing and operating innovative educational programs abroad since 1982. Originally “China Educational Tours,” CET began operations in Beijing, later expanding to other locations around the world. Today, CET offers a varied portfolio of semester, summer, and customized programs around the world for students of all ages.
  • CIEECIEE is a nonprofit study abroad and intercultural exchange organization. They offer programs in over 30 countries that cover summer, quarter, semester, and summer terms.
  • DISDIS is a non-profit study abroad foundation established in Denmark in 1959, with locations in Copenhagen and Stockholm. DIS provides semester, academic year, and summer programs taught in English, and offers high-impact learning experiences for upper-division undergraduate students from distinguished North American colleges and universities.
  • IES AbroadIES Abroad is a study abroad and internship provider that offers 130+ programs to fit a wide range of academic needs. Putting students first is at the forefront of their mission.
  • SEASea Education Association provides an environmental studies program focused on the ocean. SEA programs typically have an on-campus or remote academic component followed by a sailing component. Students engage in every aspect of the programs research voyages including sailing as full, working members of the ship’s crew and scientific team on board.
  • SFS – The School for Field Studies offers study abroad experiences through field-based learning and research. SFS study abroad programs help students develop practical skills through hands-on, experiential learning – while exploring incredible ecosystems, from the Amazon rainforest to the glaciers of Patagonia.
  • SITSIT programs are field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates. Their programs are interdisciplinary and appropriate for a variety of majors. Most programs address two critical global issues (CGIs) within specific cultural and geographical contexts or comparatively across several countries and continents. SIT offers programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations.
  • Wildlands Studies*Wildlands Studies programs are a ‘learning adventure’. Students engage in environmental studies courses where the outdoors will be your classroom. Small student groups travel to the heart of where today’s environmental challenges occur in order to seek solutions for the critical concerns facing the world’s wildlands. *Please note that only the international Wildlands Studies programs are approved for enrollment through UW Study Abroad.

Since partner program offerings vary widely, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the different providers and what they offer. Below are some things to consider:

  • Program Duration– Partner program lengths can range from 6 weeks to a year. Some programs may have program dates that overlap with UW quarters, but many also have semester long options. You can visit the partner provider website to get an idea of specific dates for each program.
  • Level of Independence – In general, partner provider programs can vary regarding the level of independence but are typically pretty structured. Provider programs provide students with a high level of support. They assist with things such as confirming housing, getting a visa/residence permit and logistical details. There is typically on-the-ground staff available as well.
  • Location – Partner Programs have options in many countries around the world. Some programs allow you to visit multiple locations as part of your program.
  • Academic Options – Some partner programs have courses specific to a discipline and others have a wider variety of options. You have the option to choose from a range of course options and enroll yourself in courses. 
  • Housing Options – With many partner programs, housing is included in the tuition fee. Partner Program staff will provide housing options which vary by location.
  • Program Cost – You pay a program fee directly to the partner program provider instead of UW tuition. Partner programs are often more cost effective than other study abroad program types for non-resident students. UW Study Abroad also charges a study abroad fee and a student abroad insurance fee that will appear on your MyUW statement. UW Study Abroad has many resources to help you plan to pay for study abroad. Visit the Financial Planning section of our website to learn more.
  • Cost of Living – Cost of living will be dependent on the city in which the program takes place.  Each program brochure has a cost sheet with an anticipated budget for each term a program is offered. You should also check the program specific website for a list of program costs.
  • Health Insurance – All students going abroad through UW Study Abroad are automatically enrolled in Student Abroad Insurance. Many partner programs have health insurance included as part of their program fee. If your partner program provides comparable insurance to the UW Student Abroad insurance, you are able to opt-out of the UW Student Abroad insurance.
  • Financial Aid Eligibility – Most partner programs are financial aid-eligible, but some are not, depending on program duration and alignment with the UW academic calendar. The UW Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) reviews program term dates to determine eligibility. Visit the UW Study Abroad Financial Aid webpage for more information about dates review and timelines. 
  • Scholarships – Some partner programs have scholarships specifically for UW students. There are also many scholarships available for study abroad – some are location-based, and some are merit-based or need-based.
  • Projects – Some partner providers offer internships, research or other opportunities in addition to their study abroad options.  
  • Co-curricular Activities & Excursions – Many partner programs offer activates and excursions as part of the program. Some of these may be included in the program fee, some may be a small additional fee. 
  • Deferrals and WithdrawalsDeferring your program acceptance to another term is not permitted once you’ve contracted. If you aren’t able to participate in the program for the term you are contracted for, you will need to submit a withdrawal request and submit a new application for a future term. Please read the withdrawal information in your contract carefully before signing. 
  • COVID requirements – Requirements and masking mandates may vary by country. Please familiarize yourself with the UW Study Abroad COVID resources page and any requirements of the country you hope to study in.

To be eligible for a partner program, you must:

  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Meet all program-specific eligibility requirements as described in the program brochure. This may include a minimum class standing and/or a minimum GPA.
  • Be cleared for study abroad by UW’s Community Standards and Student Conduct Office.

To apply for a partner program, you must complete TWO applications:

  • UW Study Abroad application
    • Electronic signature on several study abroad policy documents
  • Partner Program application
    • Home school approval
    • Additional materials submitted directly to the provider

CIEE offers a program called Open Campus, where you can choose the length and destination(s) of your program. Through Open Campus, students have different options to study in different blocks.

  • CIEE Open Campus Block Terms
    • Students have the option of taking one, two or three blocks in up to three locations. Each block is 6 weeks.
      • One Block – 6 weeks
      • Two Blocks – 12 weeks (this option fits with the UW quarter schedule)
      • Three Blocks – 18 weeks (this is considered a semester option)
  • UW Quarters compared to CIEE Blocks
    • UW Early Fall = CIEE Fall Block I
    • UW Autumn Quarter = CIEE Fall Blocks II and III
    • UW Autumn Semester = CIEE Fall Blocks I, II and III
    • UW Winter Quarter = CIEE Spring Blocks I and II
    • UW Spring Semester (W/Sp) = CIEE Spring Blocks I, II and III
    • UW Quarter enrollment for 1 CIEE block: If you choose to do only one CIEE Block, you would be enrolled for the corresponding UW term, but you would not be enrolled full time, as one block is only worth 10 UW credits.
  • CIEE Open Campus Block destinations
    • You can stay in one location or select up to three CIEE Open Campus Block locations around the world – Berlin, Buenos Aires, Cape Town, Copenhagen, Dublin, Kyoto, London, Madrid, Milan, Monteverde, Paris, Prague, Rome, Santiago, Seoul, Singapore, Shanghai, Sydney, and Yucatan.
  • CIEE Open Campus Block application process
    • To participate in CIEE Open Campus, you must complete TWO applications. The process is the same as described in the above tab, but with some unique pieces:
        • UW Quarter/CIEE Two Blocks/12 weeks – You should start a UW application for your first location for the corresponding quarter AND one CIEE Open Campus Block application for each location for the corresponding blocks.
          • Example: You want to study in Rome for Spring Block I and Sydney for Spring Block II. You would complete a UW Study Abroad application for Rome for Winter quarter (UW Study Abroad will add the Sydney destination information on the back end). You would also complete CIEE applications for both Rome Spring Block I and Sydney Spring Block II.
        • UW Semester/CIEE Three Blocks/18 weeks – You should start a UW application for your first location for the corresponding semester AND a CIEE Open Campus Block application for each location for the corresponding blocks.
          • Example: You want to study in Madrid for Fall Block I, Paris for Fall Block II and Milan for Fall Block III. You would complete a UW Study Abroad application for Madrid for Autumn semester (UW Study Abroad will add the Sydney destination information on the back end). You would also complete CIEE applications for all three CIEE locations: Madrid Fall Block I, Paris Fall Block II and Milan Fall Block III.
        • One CIEE Block – You should start a UW application for your specific location for the corresponding quarter AND a CIEE Open Campus Block application for your specific location.
          • Example: You want to study in London during the Early Fall term. You would complete a UW Study Abroad application for London for Early Fall. You would also complete a CIEE application for London Fall Block I.
    • Please note that once you decide on your destinations and the order in which you would like to travel, it is challenging to change them. Please reflect on your program structure before beginning your applications.

Partner program deadlines are often closer to the program start date than other programs.

Partner program deadlines vary based on the program term.

  • April 1 – Summer
  • May 1 – Early Fall & Autumn
  • November 1 – Winter & Spring

*Some partner programs have earlier deadlines. Please consult the individual program brochure for specific deadlines. 

Please note that some programs fill up before the deadline. The earlier you complete an application, the earlier you’ll be accepted.

  • UW Study Abroad Application – Begin a UW Study Abroad application. If you don’t see the program listed on our upcoming programs page, please email for assistance. 
  • Partner Program Application – Begin an application through the partner provider.
  • UW Home University Approval – Most partner program applications require approval from your home university. The UW Study Abroad Office completes this approval, sometimes called a letter of support or a nomination. Once you have been cleared by the conduct office, UWSA can complete the home university approval piece of the partner program application.
  • Application review –Following the online application process, you may be contacted by the program manager for an interview. After the application deadline, applications are reviewed and decisions made about which students to accept, waitlist, or decline. Once a decision has been made, you’ll be notified by the study abroad system via email.   
  • Program acceptance – After you’ve been accepted to a program, you have 3 weeks to commit to the program and sign your contract. 
  • Program preparation and pre-departure requirements – Take a look at the Accepted to a program section to see everything you need to do before you leave.
    You must complete several mandatory pre-departure requirements that are outlined in your study abroad application (submit a copy of your passport, attend orientation, submit payment contract, complete a health survey, etc.) in order to be concurrently enrolled.
  • Passport and visas – A valid passport or travel document is needed for partner programs and the visa process can often take time. Please look at visa requirements early! Visit our Passports and visas page for more details. 
  • Course enrollment while abroad
    • Enrollment at UW: All UW students participating in a program for UW credit must be concurrently enrolled with UW Study Abroad. Concurrent enrollment maintains your student affiliation with UW while away, allows resident UW credit for courses taken abroad, and may allow you access to financial aid if the term is eligible. Students are automatically enrolled in FSTDY 300 placeholder course after the deadline of the completion of pre-departure requirements. 
    • Enrollment in partner program courses: you are responsible for enrolling in courses through the partner provider.
    • Please note: In order to maintain full time enrollment, you should bring back a minimum of 12 UW credits per quarter of enrollment. You can verify your quarters of enrollment in your contract. See the glossary below for details about quarters of enrollment. Use the Credit Conversion Scale (found on the Academics tab of your program brochure) to get an idea of credit equivalencies.
  • Credit conversion – When you return, you’ll work with your academic advisers on how courses can be converted back to UW credit using the Credit conversion process. UW equivalencies cannot always be determined before departure on a partner program. 

Below are some terms that you may encounter during your application process:

  • Autumn Semester – If you are enrolled in a program that is listed as Autumn Semester, you will be enrolled in FSTDY 300 only during Autumn quarter. 
  • Commit – this lets us know that you plan to participate in your exchange. There is no financial obligation to commit.
  • Contract – once you sign a payment contract, you are financially obligated to the program and will owe the fees specified in your contract. 
  • Home School Approval – part of the partner program application requires someone from the UW Study Abroad office to approve your application. In order for our office to approve your application, you’ll need to have completed the UW Study Abroad application. 
  • Program Manager – The UW Study Abroad staff member who organizes all of the administrative aspects of your program.
  • Spring Semester (W/Sp) – If you are enrolled in a program that is listed as Spring Semester (W/Sp), you will be enrolled in FSTDY 300 during both Winter and Spring quarters.
  • Study Abroad Provider/Partner Provider – Study abroad providers are third-party organizations that administer education abroad programs. Depending on the provider, participants may take courses at a host university and/or at a study center specifically for study abroad students.

  • How competitive are partner programs?
    • The competitiveness of programs typically depends on the study abroad provider and the individual program. Some programs have limited space, and some have more availability. Certain programs do fill up before the deadline so we recommend that if you know that you would like to do a certain program, you should apply as soon as possible.
  • When do partner program applications open?
    • Partner programs typically open about 6 months prior to the deadline.
  • What if I don’t get placed in my first choice?  
    • UW Study abroad recommends that students apply to one partner program at a time. If you are not accepted, you can work with the provider to identify a second option.
  • What can I study on a partner program? 
    • Different partner programs offer different types of academic credit. Courses taken on partner programs can be used to fulfill major or minor credits, general education credits or electives. 
  • How many credits should I take abroad? 
    • You should be enrolled full time at both the partner program and at UW. You should enroll in enough credits to bring back at least 12 credits for each quarter you are enrolled in FSTDY 300. 
  • Is there a foreign language requirement for partner programs?
    • Depending on the program, instruction may be in English, the language of the host country, or a combination of the two. If there is a language requirement, it will be listed on the brochure and/or the partner website.
    • That being said, it can be useful to speak at least some of the language of the country where you will be studying since outside of the university, many people won’t speak English.

Ready to Apply?

Visit our upcoming programs page to see a list of open programs.

Upcoming Programs