Neuroscience for Neurodiverse Learners produces resources for students, educators, and others interested in increasing the participation of people with disabilities in engineering and the content about universal design included in engineering courses.
- Proceedings from the 2022 NNL Capacity Building Institute (CBI)
Two half-day online meetings that featured training sessions; presentations on pedagogical and classroom management strategies for engaging neurodiverse students in on-site and online settings; panel presentations from neurodivergent students, disability service professionals, and faculty; and discussions. Videos from this CBI are included.
- Read Student Stories: Neurodiverse Learners and STEM Education
Access stories from students who identify as neurodiverse and are pursuing science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education and careers.
- Additional K-12 Education Programs at the UW Center for Neurotechnology
Learn about UW CNT K-12 programs such as school visits, research experiences for teachers, and the young scholars REACH program.
- Additional College Education Programs at the UW Center for Neurotechnology
Learn about UW CNT programs for college students such as Research Experiences for Undergraduates, an annual Hackathon, and the Post-Baccalaureate program.
- Across Campus and Beyond: A Promising Practice to Increase Conversations about Neurodiversity in the Engineering Classroom
This promising practice from the Knowledge Base explores a conversation facilitated by an interdisciplinary group from across the Purdue University campus and at a partner school.
- How do Neurodiverse and Neurotypical Software Engineers Differ in the Workplace?
This article shares research findings comparing the experiences of neurodiverse employees with neurotypical employees at a large company.
- Mentoring Community for Students with Disabilities
Engage with other students with peers, near peers, and mentors in STEM programs and careers.
- Students with Disabilities Succeeding in Engineering Research Centers
Read case studies of students who have thrived at an ERC and their perspectives on the accessibility of classrooms and labs.
- Teaching for Neurodiversity: A Guide to Specific Learning Disabilities
It is essential that teaching meets the needs of all learners, using appropriate methods to support weaknesses while also recognizing and developing strengths and abilities.
- Applying Universal Design to Address the Needs of Postsecondary Students on the Autism Spectrum
The authors illustrate how a teaching method that benefits a student with a specific disability such as ASD can inspire the development of a UD strategy designed to benefit all students.
- Progress of Teens with Disabilities Toward STEM Careers: Positive Inputs Leading to Critical Junctures
DO-IT interventions sponsored by NSF are organized into a model of inputs to promote movement through critical junctures to bring students with disabilities into STEM fields.
- Neurodiversity: The Future of Special Education?
If we want to use the most effective approaches with kids—and draw on new research about the brain—special education needs to change its approach.
- Encouraging Neurodiversity in Your Makerspace or Classroom
While students with neurological differences face daily challenges, they bring unique qualities of focus, nonlinear thinking, recall, and brainstorming enthusiasm to a makerspace or classroom.
- Leading Practices for Improving Accessibility and Inclusion in Field, Laboratory, and Computational Science – A Conversation Series
Five webinar-style conversations featuring leading experts on accessibility and disability inclusion recorded between December 2021 and April 2022.
- Supporting Neurodiverse College Student Success: A Guide for Librarians, Support Services, and Academic Learning Environments
A book by Elizabeth and Jeffrey Coghill that discusses methods and support services for helping neurodiverse students succeed.
- Universal Design
Learn the fundamentals of universal design and how it can be applied to make anything more accessible and inclusive to all.
- Disability-Related Videos
Multiple video collections that share personal stories of individuals with disabilities and universal and other inclusive design strategies that make the world more inclusive of people with disabilities.