Universal Design of Instruction
The resources below are for ensuring that instruction, including curriculum and assessment, is accessible to all students.
- NEW! Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A Universal Design Toolkit
Order this must-have book that has how-to instructions for applying UD to everything we do in higher education, and complements the 2015 book Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice.
- Universal Design of Instruction: Definition, Principles, and Examples
Universal design principles applied to curriculum, educational technology, teaching strategies, and classroom activities.
- Video: Universal Design of Instruction
A short video that shows how the universal design framework can be applied to instruction.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction
A checklist to maximize the learning of all students.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Academic Departments
Guidelines for making any college or university department accessible to all students.
- Universal Design as a Topic of Instruction
Ideas for building universal design into a curriculum.
- Published Articles and Books
Explore a rich literature base of articles that share research and practice regarding the application of universal design in postsecondary education, with specific focus under the headers “Efficacy of Universal Design of Instruction,” Universal Design of Assessment,” “Universal Design of Instruction,” and “Universal Design of Online Learning.”
- The Faculty Room
Access resources specifically designed for postsecondary faculty as part of the AccessCollege project hosted by the University of Washington.
- Knowledge Base
Enter “Universal Design” for "search text” select “Faculty Room” for “Program/Area” to locate q&as, case studies and promising practices related to the inclusive design of instruction.