AccessSTEM helps students with disabilities succeed in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and reach critical junctures on paths toward college studies and careers in STEM. AccessSTEM shares promising practices to help K-12 teachers, postsecondary faculty, and employers make classroom and employment opportunities in STEM accessible to individuals with disabilities.
- Join a Community of Practice
Participate in online discussions and learn of opportunities to promote the AccessSTEM initiative.
- Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A Universal Design Toolkit
Order this must-have book that has how-to instructions for applying UD to everything we do in higher education, and complements the 2015 book Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice. Learn more in this podcast episode of Trending in Education.
- Learn the Basics about STEM and People with Disabilities
View a video and read a publication about how people with disabilities can succeed in STEM academic programs and careers.
- Read Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A Universal Design Toolkit
Order this must-have book that has how-to instructions for applying UD to everything we do in higher education, and complements the 2015 book Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice.
- Join the AccessSTEM Team
Students with disabilities engage with each other and mentors and learn about internships and other opportunities for pursing STEM.
- Apply 20 Tips For Teaching an Accessible Online Course
Use a checklist, watch a video, and/or complete a tutorial to begin making an online course accessible, usable, and inclusive.
- Find STEM Resources from DO-IT
See publications, videos, and training materials.
- Follow AccessSTEM's Model
Our Student Centered Community Building Model shares how key stakeholders and successful inputs lead students with disabilities through critical junctures towards success in STEM.
- Explore Featured Resources
Access the newest publications, videos, and resources.
- Review Q&As, Promising Practices, and Case Studies
Explore the Knowledge Base for answers to specific questions and evidence-based practices.
- Learn about the AccessSTEM Project
Read about project goals, objectives, activities, leadership, and sponsorship.