The Center on Accessible Distance Learning (AccessDL), funded by the U.S. Department of Education (grant # OPE P333A020044 and P333A50064), the National Science Foundation (grant # IIS-1550477 and DRL-1824540), and the DO-IT Center, shares guidance and engages stakeholders around making distance learning courses (otherwise called online learning, e-learning, and digital learning) and programs accessible to students and instructors with disabilities.
- NEW! Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A Universal Design Toolkit
Order this must-have book that has how-to instructions for applying UD to everything we do in higher education, and complements the 2015 book Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice.
- Join the AccessDL Discussion List
Discuss with other stakeholders issues related to creating accessible distance learning courses, including policy, practice, training, and support.
- Discover 20 Tips For Teaching an Accessible Online Course
Read a publication, watch a video, and/or complete a tutorial to begin making an online course accessible, usable, and inclusive.
- Learn Basic Accessibility Issues and Solutions for Distance Learning
Explore accessibility challenges and solutions as well as key resources.
- Apply the Checklist Equal Access: Universal Design of Distance Learning Programs
Learn guidelines for ensuring that distance learning program offerings are welcoming to, accessible to, and usable by individuals with disabilities.
- Consult AccessWeb
Find videos, publications, and websites with guidance for making websites, videos and documents accessible to students with disabilities.
View a Video Online Education and Website AccessibilityLearn about legal requirements from the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights.
- Read Accessible Cyberlearning: A Community Report of the Current State and Recommendations for the Future
This paper serves to inform the design of current and future learning technologies and pedagogy to be inclusive of everyone.
- Read Equal Access: Universal Design of Instruction
Use a checklist to design a course that is welcoming and accessible to all potential students.
- Explore Featured Resources
Access the newest publications, videos, and resources.
- Review Q&As, Promising Practices, and Case Studies
Explore the Knowledge Base for answers to specific questions and evidence-based case studies and practices