Resources For Making Distance Learning Accessible
Publications, Tutorials, and Video Presentations
- 20 Tips For Teaching an Accessible Online Course
Use a checklist, watch a video, and/or complete a tutorial to begin making an online course accessible, usable, and inclusive.
- Accessible Cyberlearning: A Community Report of the Current State and Recommendations for the Future
This paper serves to inform the design of current and future learning technologies and pedagogy to be inclusive of everyone.
- Accessible Distance Learning Brochure
A summary of key issues with respect to accessible online learning.
- Accessibility, Mobility, and Design
A conversation about the meaning of mobility and the role of design as a process that can cultivate a culture of accessibility that goes beyond accommodations.
- Accessibility and Universal Design of Online Meetings
A publication that shares tips for hosting accessible online meetings using software and other tools.
- Creating Inclusive Learning Opportunities in Higher Education: A Universal Design Toolkit
Order this must-have book that has how-to instructions for applying UD to everything we do in higher education, and complements the 2015 book Universal Design in Higher Education: From Principles to Practice.
- Designing an Accessible Online Course
A resource of the Southwest ADA Center Regional Affiliate - Arkansas, a project of the University of Arkansas.
- Designing Accessible Online Courses
University of Washington suggestions for instructors on designing an accessible online course.
- Disability-Related Videos
Multiple video collections that share personal stories of individuals with disabilities and universal and other inclusive design strategies that make the world more inclusive of people with disabilities.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Distance Learning Programs
A checklist for operating a program that ensures the accessibility of all courses.
- Equity Matters 2016: Digital & Online Learning for Students with Disabilities
This publication includes promising practices for addressing the needs of students with disabilities in online learning, relevant policies, research, shifting roles of parents and teachers in virtual education, and responsibilities of state agencies
- Guide to Online College with a Learning Disability
A guide that provides important information such as securing and using learning disability accommodations, locating assistive technologies, and navigating online course sites for students with learning disabilities.
- Guidelines for Print
The American Printing House for the Blind shares tips for making print materials more accessible.
- Online Learning Strategies for Students with Disabilities
DO-IT participants share their experiences and recommendations for other students with disabilities who are taking online courses.
- Real Connections: Making Distance Learning Accessible to Everyone
A video and a brochure with the basic guidelines for designing courses to fully include all students.
- Universal Design in Higher Education: Promising Practices
An online book edited by Sheryl Burgstahler with examples of how promising practices of universal design can be applied to create a more inclusive instruction, student services, physical spaces, and information technology.
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design
DO-IT video and publication on how to make web pages accessible to people with disabilities.
A collection of project goals, objectives, activities, leadership, sponsorship,and resources for making cyberlearning tools and pedagogy accessible to everyone, including students with disabilities.
- Accessible Technology
DO-IT's collection of videos, publications and web resources on the procurement, development and design of accessible technology.
- Accessible Technology at the UW
Resource website on accessible technology hosted by the University of Washington.
- The Center for Universal Design in Education
Resources to help educators apply universal design to all aspects of the educational experience, including technology, services, and instruction.
- The National Center on Disability and Access to Education (NCDAE)
Acenter that addresses issues of technology and disability in education policies and practices to enhance the lives of people with disabilities
- Cheatsheets from National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM)
Resources from a research and development facility dedicated to making media and information technology accessible to people with disabilities.
Resources from the Web Accessibility in Mind project, including a streaming video introduction, links to online courses and articles, and a tutorial.
- QM Accessibility and Usability Resource Site (AURS)
A resource hosted by the Quality Matters (QM) community that provides guidance to anyone interested in making online materials more accessible.
Accessibility Documentation from Learning Management System (LMS) Vendors
Accessibility of LMS products is constantly evolving, but several vendors provide documentation regarding their products' accessibility features and how to deliver accessible courses using their products. Some examples are provided below.
- How do learning management systems differ on accessibility?
Q&As, Promising Practices, and Case Studies
The AccessDL Knowledge Base features over 250 articles that explore and discuss how to make distance learning accessible. The DO-IT Knowledge Base as a whole contains over 850 articles on a wide variety of accessibility topics.
Research and Academic Papers
For a list of articles about the universal design of online learning, access DO-IT's Published Books and Articles About Universal Design in Higher Education (UDHE) page in The Center on Universal Design in Education (CUDE) and select "Universal Design of Online Learning."