The following resources provide information about assistive technology, accessible technology design, and the design of technology spaces.
- Accessible Technology at the University of Washington
Comprehensive guidelines, practices, and processes for making websites, documents, videos, and other IT accessible to people with disabilities.
- Universal Design of Information Technology in Postsecondary Education
Comprehensive collection of resources for ensuring that IT is accessible to everyone.
- Access to Technology: An Online Tutorial
An overview of assistive technology as well as the design of accessible electronic and information technology.
- Access to Technology in the Workplace
Employees with a variety of disabilities describe how they use computers and promote the provision of accessible electronic and information technology in the workplace.
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Postsecondary Education: Technology Access for Youth with Disabilities
Discussion of how technology can impact the lives of students with disabilities.
- Information Technology in Education Accessibility Checklist
AccessIT's checklist for assuring technology in schools is accessible to all students
- IT Accessibility: What Campus Leaders Have to Say
University presidents, chief information officers, and other (IT) leaders discuss the importance of and strategies for making IT accessible campus-wide.
- IT Accessibility: What Web Developers Have to Say
Web designers and developers discuss strategies for creating websites that are accessible to all users.
- Making Electronic Resources Accessible in Libraries
How libraries can ensure that everyone has access to their electronic resources.
- Resources in the Access Technology Center
A facility at the University of Washington that provides access to adaptive computer technology, consultation on the accessible design of websites and software, and the procurement of accessible technology.
- 30 Web Accessibility Tips
How to create or deploy web-based resources that are fully accessible to all users.
- Accessibility Testing of Web Applications
A description of web accessibility principles, statistics, and how to evaluate and test a website to ensure it meets the correct standards.
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators
Guidance for non-technical administrators regarding how to ensure that websites in their organizations are accessible to everyone.
- Web Design & Development
A project-based introduction to accessible web design developed for use primarily in secondary schools, grades 9-12. Frequently updated, this curriculum has been accessed by over 3,000 teachers in all 50 states.
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design
How to make web pages accessible to people with disabilities.
Teaching Online Learning
- 20 Tips for Teaching an Accessible Online Course
Learn the basics for teaching a course online that can be accessed by all, including students with disabilities. Watch the accompanying video to learn even more about each tip.
Shares guidance and engages stakeholders around making distance learning courses and programs accessible to students and instructors with disabilities.
Captioning and Creating Media
- Captioning Lecture Capture Videos: A Promising Teaching Practice
Students and educators show how captioning videos in a lecture capture application helps everyone gain knowledge.
- Captions: Improving Access to Postsecondary Education
Professors, students, and IT administrators share the benefits of using captions for videos used in postsecondary education.
- Communication Access Realtime Translation: CART Services for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing People
Educators tell how Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) provides access to auditory communication for individuals who are deaf.
- Creating Video and Multimedia Products That Are Accessible to People with Sensory Impairments
Guidelines and designing resources for accessible products.
Universal Design Framework
- Universal Design: Principles, Process, and Applications
A guide to implementing universal design.
- The Center for Universal Design in Education
Comprehensive resources on how UD can be applied to the design of all aspects of education, including technology.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Computing Departments
How to make computing departments accessible to people with disabilities.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Computer Labs
How to make computer labs accessible to people with disabilities.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects
Options for instructors of web design courses and other instructors who have students create web pages as an activity in their classes to integrate accessibility content within any course.