Study Abroad

For graduate students

As a graduate student, you are eligible to participate in any of the study abroad opportunities available through the University of Washington. However, some options in particular may be better suited for you.

Independent learning

If you are interested in independent research, internships, practicums, clerkships, or fellowship programs abroad, you can apply for Independent Learning through UW Study Abroad. By enrolling in Independent Learning you maintain your UW students status and enrollment for your period of study abroad but do not pay tuition or program fees for credits earned. Instead, you pay a flat administrative fee; currently $350 per quarter.  Independent Learning is the most affordable of all study abroad options available but requires a high degree of personal independence and preparation.

To apply for independent learning:

  1. Read the Standards for Approving Independent Learning.
  2. Complete and submit an Independent Learning Application.
  3. If there is a US State Department Travel Warning or Center for Disease Control Health Warning in effect for your destination country additional review will be required before permission to travel is granted. Read Travel Warning and Waivers for more information.

Priority application deadlines for independent learning programs beginning:

Autumn Quarter – July 15

Winter Quarter – November 1

Spring Quarter – February 1

Summer Quarter – April 15

Late fees may apply for applications submitted after the priority deadline.

University and departmental exchanges

Enrollment at a UW partner university for study or research provides a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a different academic culture, create connections with experts in your field of study, and gain access to libraries and other new sources of information to aid in your research. We encourage you to link to a university partner strong in your discipline or where the research conducted by its faculty matches your interests. To begin, discuss your objectives with your faculty adviser in your department and ask for their opinions about universities to target or if there are other UW faculty with whom you should consult; it may be that your adviser has knowledge about the reputations of particular partner university programs or colleagues at those universities  to whom you can connect. You can also meet with a UW Study Abroad Adviser to help you narrow and connect to options.

To apply for an exchange, consult UW’s list of partner institutions and submit an application through the UW Study Abroad website.

UW programs

UW offers many faculty-led study abroad programs each year. While the majority of these are focused on undergraduates, graduate students are invited to participate. Email the study abroad program director to ask if the program you are interested in can accommodate graduate credit. If it does, you can submit an application  through the UW Study Abroad website.

TA positions

If you are interested to teach abroad, connect with UW faculty leading programs study abroad. Each year, UW Faculty-led Programs hires a small number of teaching assistants to help staff programs. Contact your department to ask if it plans to run any study abroad programs. Timing your inquiry with the UW Faculty-led proposal due date (August 31 and October 31 annually) is strategic, as it is when faculty make decisions about support staff.