The history of ROTC on the UW campus dates back to 1862, when Congress enacted the Morrill Act and required land-grant colleges to offer courses in military training. Consequently, the Washington Territorial Legislature specified that one of the UW’s four original institutional departments would be dedicated to the study of military science. Participation in military training programs was required for all male students during most of the 100 years preceding 1962, when the requirement was finally eliminated.
Learn more about Reserve Officers’ Training Corp (ROTC).
Chair of the elected faculty council
Richard Slade, naval ROTC
Due to the distinct relationship the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) has with the University of Washington, bylaws are not required.