The following resources provide information about assistive technology, accessible technology design, and the design of technology spaces.
Including accessible technology in classrooms, labs, and academic departments.
- Access to Technology: An Online Tutorial
An overview of assistive technology as well as the design of accessible electronic and information technology.
- Access to Technology in the Workplace
Employees with a variety of disabilities describe how they use computers and promote the provision of accessible electronic and information technology in the workplace.
- Bridging the Digital Divide in Postsecondary Education: Technology Access for Youth with Disabilities
Discussion of how technology can impact the lives of students with disabilities.
- Captions: Improving Access to Postsecondary Education
Professors, students, and IT administrators share the benefits of using captions on videos in postsecondary courses.
- Captioning Lecture Capture Videos: A Promising Teaching Practice
Students and educators show how captioning videos in a lecture capture application helps everyone gain knowledge.
- Communication Access Realtime Translation: CART Services for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing People
Educators tell how Communication Access Realtime Translation (CART) provides access to auditory communication for individuals who are deaf.
- Designing Software that is Accessible to Individuals with Disabilities
Accessibility guidelines for software.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Computer Labs
How to make computer labs accessible to people with disabilities.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Computing Departments
How to make computing departments accessible to people with disabilities.
- Equal Access: Universal Design of Libraries
How to include accessibility considerations for libraries, including media and technology.
- How Can We Encourage Students with Disabilities to Pursue Computing?
One woman tells instructors how their behaviors impact a student's decision to pursue a computing field.
- How Can We Include Students with Disabilities in Computing Courses?
With the increasing demand for computing professionals, it's important that students with disabilities are included in computing courses.
- Making Electronic Resources Accessible in Libraries
How libraries can ensure that everyone has access to their electronic resources.
- Resources in the Access Technology Center
A facility at the University of Washington that provides access to adaptive computer technology, consultation on the accessible design of websites and software, and the procurement of accessible technology.
- IT Accessibility: What Web Developers Have to Say
Web designers and developers discuss strategies for creating websites that are accessible to all users.
- IT Accessibility: What Campus Leaders Have to Say
University presidents, chief information officers, and other (IT) leaders discuss the importance of and strategies for making IT accessible campus-wide.
Accessible Web, Documents, & Media
Creating web and media products that are accessible to everyone.
- 30 Web Accessibility Tips
How to create or deploy web-based resources that are fully accessible to all users.
- Accessibility Testing of Web Applications
A description of web accessibility principles, statistics, and how to evaluate and test a website to ensure it meets the correct standards.
- Creating Video and Multimedia Products That Are Accessible to People with Sensory Impairments
Guidelines and designing resources for accessible products.
- Captions: Improving Access to Postsecondary Education
Professors, students, and IT administrators share the benefits of using captions for videos used in postsecondary education.
- Information Technology in Education Accessibility Checklist
AccessIT's checklist for assuring technology in schools is accessible to all students.
Real Connections: Making Distance Learning Accessible to Everyone (video and brochure)
Guidelines for designing courses to fully include all students.
- Universal Design of Web Pages in Class Projects
Options for instructors of web design courses and other instructors who have students create web pages as an activity in their classes to integrate accessibility content within any course.
- Universal Design: Principles, Process, and Applications
A guide to implementing universal design.
- Accessible Technology at the University of Washington
A comprehensive collection of resources for making websites, documents, videos, and other IT accessible to people with disabilities and examples of postsecondary campus guidelines and procedures.
- Web Accessibility: Guidelines for Administrators
Guidance for non-technical administrators regarding how to ensure that websites in their organizations are accessible to everyone.
- Web Design & Development
A project-based introduction to accessible web design developed for use primarily in secondary schools, grades 9-12. Frequently updated, this curriculum has been accessed by over 3,000 teachers in all 50 states.
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design
How to make web pages accessible to people with disabilities.
Software and devices designed to assist persons with disabilities.
- Assistive Technology used by DO-IT Scholars
Technology used by participants and students with disabilities.
- Computer Access: In Our Own Words
Students with disabilities demonstrate the uses of adaptive technology and computer applications.
- Use of Telecommunications Products by People with Disabilities
Guidelines and resources for making telecommunication products accessible to everyone.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Learning Disabilities
Students and workers with learning disabilities demonstrate computer-based tools and strategies.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Mobility Impairments
People with mobility impairments demonstrate computer access technology.
- Working Together: Computers and People with Sensory Impairments
People with visual and hearing impairments demonstrate computer technology for school and work.
- Working Together: People with Disabilities and Computer Technology
Adaptive technology and computer applications for people with disabilities.
Legal Issues for Postsecondary Institutions
See laws and legal cases that guide the accessibility requirements for every postsecondary institution.
- Laws, Policies, and Standards
Legal issues related to the provision of accessible IT on postsecondary campuses, including civil rights resolution agreements and lawsuits and legal cases by issue addressed.