Recreation

August 18, 2020

Wellness resources: a collection

A watercolor image with brightly colored flowers that reads "be well"

Taking good care of our physical and mental health has perhaps never been more important, and as we all adjust to the evolving changes in our lifestyles, it can be hard to know where to turn to find support. Fortunately, UW Parent and Family Programs recently posted a request on their social media channels for ideas for wellness resources, and its readers did not disappoint!

Thanks to those who contributed these helpful assets, we were able to compile them to help you and your loved ones see out the summer- and beyond – in good health.

BOOKS

I have been widening my reading. I highly recommend this author [Jesmyn Ward]. Reading more widely has allowed me the opportunity to learn and grow, as well as provide the mental relaxation needed to navigate the last few months. – Laura Targett 

I found a book entitled “Back RX” by Hilary Hinzmann and Vijay Vad that has been so helpful with my lower back pain. It’s a simple daily routine of stretches designed to relieve and prevent lower back pain. And during this time when many are sitting more than usually it can be a real help! 😊 – Instagram user @rbrock6886

WEBSITES

@forksoverknives has amazing [vegetarian] recipes and great photos to entice the appetite. – Instagram user @fourpack4

@inflexibleyogis Is my go-to! – Instagram user @__elbie.c__

I love using the guided meditation from Khan Academy! – Instagram user @happy.alice.qin

My kids got me going on the @chloe_t workout challenges in early May – they’ve all since dropped off but I’m still going! 😅 I love how much stronger I’m getting 💪 – Instagram user @juulia_goooliaa

Goalcast has great inspirational stories to inspire and make one work hard towards goals. – Instagram user @dmsteinmetz

@strong_mommas on instagram has great tips, inspiration, workouts, etc. – Instagram user @gleich4

I’ve been learning more about mental health with our college kids at Activeminds.org. – Laura Fencken Fehlan

ARTICLES

High school & college students can find a huge silver lining to COVID-19 by author William Keator. Link provided by Sheila Prevot Noren

Eight ideas for staying active while at home – UW Recreation article

WEBINAR

University of Wisconsin Madison Center for Healthy Minds, “Cultivating purpose in uncertain times.” [Link to the video at the bottom of the page] – Marie Salamanca Bromley