SAGE Budget: Enhancements & Bug Fixes
Cascading Behavior for Salary Data Can Now be Turned Off
If you prefer to manually enter wage-related values across all years of your multi-period budget, you may now choose to turn off cascading of salary data on the Line Setup screen. Cascading of salary data will be turned on by default.
Updates to Cascading of Salary Data
When cascading is ON/selected for salary data, and you have multiple budget periods, you will experience the following:
- When you change either the Monthly Base Salary amount or Salary Inflation Rate, all future period Monthly Salary Base values will be updated.
- The “Effort” section values, salary inflation rate, and any prior period entries will be unaffected by cascading, so that any custom entries will be retained.
Inflation Rate Auto-Update
On the Update Periods screen for Salary, if you click “Update Salary” for a particular period, the Inflation Rate will no longer reset to the original value. The inflation rate will remain unchanged, and only the Monthly Base Salary and related salary total calculations will be updated, with cascading updates to future periods when cascading is on/checked.
Decimal Handling Improvements
On the Period Update screen for any line item, when you enter a decimal into an entry field, the full number entered will be visible when you click in the cell, regardless of the Display Setting for decimals. When you click away from the cell the value displayed will be based on the Decimal Settings in the Properties tab – Advanced Budget Settings.
APL Benefit Rates and Amounts Corrected
On the Update Periods screen for Salaries on an APL budget, you will now see both the APL Benefit Rate and the APL Leave Rate displayed. This will be helpful in understanding and verifying the Total Benefits calculation, which is equal to the combined APL Benefit and Leave Rates multiplied by the Period Salary.
In addition, when you click the “Update Rate” link, the APL Benefit Rate and the APL Leave Rate will refresh with the correct values.
APL Pro-Rated Direct Cost Updates
For APL budgets, SAGE is now updated with the current Pro-Rated Direct Cost (PDC) rate and updated calculation logic. The calculation of the PDC cost amount is based on total APL modified total direct costs multiplied by the PDC rate. The PDC amount also now shows as a distinct line item on the parent budget, under object code (19).
Roll-up of Total F&A Updated
The parent budget total F&A is now showing the combined roll-up of all F&A, inclusive of internal UW sub budgets. Users no longer need to add the parent and sub budgets together for a combined total.
F&A Base Calculation for Non-MTDC budgets that include subcontracts
For budgets that include one or more subcontracts, the $25,000 cap for inclusion of subcontract costs in UW’s F&A base will only be applied when the base type is MTDC. All other base types will calculate F&A on the full amount of the subcontracts. The custom base type can continue to be used for situations where the sponsor has irregular rules around how F&A can be charged.
SAGE General Updates
Updates throughout SAGE Suite.
Data Source Updates
SAGE Suite will now use Workday data rather than HEPPS data.
Technology updates were made to modernize and stabilize SAGE system as areas of the software were updated.
SAGE Personnel Chooser (throughout SAGE Suite)
Now search by EmployeeID, in addition to Name and UW NetID
Academic Appointments and Positions
When a Position and Academic Appointment are linked, they will be combined and displayed in one line
- Employee Name will display legal name
- Title will display the more useful Academic Appointment title when available. If not available, then Position title will display.
- Academic Appointment Type will display next to Title. This is new data available through Workday that provides information about the nature of the Academic Appointment. Academic Appointment Types can be Primary, Joint, Dual, or Admin. Academic Appointment Types are not applicable to Positions.
- Associated Organizational Units will display:
- Organization Name and Code display for Positions and Academic Appointments associated with a Position
- Supervisory Organization Name and Code display for Academic Appointments not related to a Position
- An indicator of a person’s Primary Position now displays next to the unit where the Primary Position resides. Primary Position replaces the former “home department” concept when determining necessary approvals.
SAGE eGC1 PI, Personnel, & Organizations Page Updates
Additional Organizational Reviewers Moved to Renamed PI, Personnel & Organizations Page
The former FG-9 Compliance page question for identifying additional organizational reviewers has been moved to the PI, Personnel & Organizations page, to align it with the personnel entries that are also feeding the approval graph. While selecting personnel, if joint appointment units need to be identified, you can now do so from the same page.
View Approval Graph link added to PI, Personnel & Organizations Page
The View Approval Graph link will now show in two places on the eGC1 — on the Certify and Route page (as always) and now also on the PI, Personnel & Organizations page. While you are changing personnel and adding additional organizational reviewers, this newly added link will allow you to quickly view the impact of your changes on the approval graph.
Primary Position Organization Code Added to Personnel Summary List
Once a person and their corresponding position have been added to the list of personnel, you will now see the organizational units for both the selected position and primary position for the chosen person. This will be a reminder that the primary position’s organizational unit will appear on the graph as well as the selected position.
SAGE Compliance Page Update
The additional organizational unit reviewers question (FG-9) has been relocated to the bottom of the PI, Personnel, & Organizations page (see above for more details).
SAGE Approvals Updates
Approval Graph Generation
- Primary Position Unit will now be used for adding Reviewers/Watchers to the Approval Graph, as the unit associated with the Primary Position replaces the concept of “home department”.
- Selected Unit will continue to be used for adding Reviewers/Watchers to the Approval Graph, but the unit will be derived as follows:
- If the selected line is for a Position, then SAGE will use the Position’s Organization Code
- If the selected line is for an Academic Appointment linked to a Position, then SAGE will use the linked Position’s Organization Code
- If the selected line is an Academic Appointment not linked to any Position, then SAGE will use the Supervisory Organization Code associated with the Academic Appointment
SAGE Budget Updates
Restructured to accommodate Workday data integration.
Are less granular in Workday with only one digit of sub-object code. They are associated with Job Profile and linked to Position rather than Distribution. Impacted Object codes are 01 Salaries and wages, 07 Employee benefits, and 08 Scholarships and awards.
- All ‘01-1X’ → ‘01-10’; ’01-2X’ → ’01-20’; etc.
- ’07-06’ → ’07-00’
- ’08-02’ → ’08-00’
Historical sub-object codes are still available for manual selection – if desired; user can select the old/more descriptive title description.
Multiple Object Code Types
The extra modal for Multiple Object Code types has been eliminated. The system defaults the object code to the one associated with the person’s Primary Position.
Benefit Rate & Costs
Default Benefit Exemptions
SAGE will now derive insurance and retirement benefit eligibility using the person’s Primary Position Object Code based on info provided by MAA as part of UW GIM3 fringe-benefit-load-rate. This derivation of benefit exemptions works for all object codes except 01-70 (professional staff), which will default to “None” (no exemptions). For ’01-70’, there will also be an alert/message asking verify and update health and/or retirement benefit eligibility for professional staff personnel.
In Workday, Earning Codes replaces the concept of Earn Types. Earning Codes are less granular and do not map exactly to historical Earn Types. Earning Codes will display on the Line Update page under Pay Type, providing additional context about salary and wages.
Institutional Base Salary (UW Monthly Salary)
Salary and wages that are considered IBS will now be pre-checked based on the updated GIM 35 definition of IBS.
Reduced responsibility cannot be uniquely identified in Workday, so the RRD personnel notification email from SAGE that’s sent post-award has been discontinued.
Object Code ‘07’
SAGE does not receive any retiree Supplement data from Workday. Retirees without regular salaries but with active Academic Appointments can be added to your budget but salary and benefit information must be added manually using the [Starting Monthly Salary] field.
Object Code ‘08’
Stipends information under object code ’08’ is available as Stipends without benefits under ’08-00’ (less granular object code). Stipends under Object code ‘08’ are not considered UW Salary or IBS, and are excluded from benefit calculations.
There are 2 separate branches of distributions in Workday: planned compensation and period pays. Both are included in salary calculations for all salary fields. If current planned compensation and period pays, we will include those. If no current planned compensation or period pays are available, SAGE will utilize future dated data.
Update or Convert Salary
The SAGE Budget worksheet will now display an “H” icon next to Salary and Wages lines last updated with HEPPS data.
If you edit a HEPPS Salary and Wages line, the Line Setup modal will provide a link to “Convert” the salary, which will remove all HEPPS earning lines, and re-add the person’s latest salary lines from Workday. Prior to the removal, the system keeps a snapshot of the HEPPS earning data. The instant of the snapshot can be viewed using the History tab of a budget.
For Salary and Wages lines created or last updated with Workday data, no “H” indicator will display. The Line Setup modal will allow you to “Update” the salary (no conversion is needed).
The Update Periods modal has all periods displayed on the same page for the selected line item.
With the right access, the user can update salary and benefit for each period (and thereafter). However, if the selected record is personnel from HEPPS, then the Update Salary link will not be visible. The Update Salary link only works for Workday data.
The display of Sea Pay personnel and salary info has been rearranged and shown with multiple periods. # of Hour info for each period can be entered on the same page.
Worksheet Line Setup (Non-Personnel)
The “NOTES” icon has been removed, and a note section is added to the line Item setup page. Instead of going to Period 1, 2, etc., user can access the new Line Item Update page directly by using the “Go to Iine Item Update”.
The Line Setup page includes all periods on the same page. Other than the calculated fields such as % and totals, cells for all periods can be edited together. However, the totals are not recalculated upon entry, but upon leaving. User will only be able to view the new totals after Return to Worksheet.
The following updates were released on July 25th, 2013:
- The answer to the Ready to Submit question now displays on the SPAERC control sheet and the Attachments and Routing page for all application types.
- Navigational menus/links no longer display on popup windows such as auto-generated email draft windows.
- When the parent item of an Admin Action is changed, the Action text now reflects the appropriate Admin Action number.
- The SPAERC Task list now displays values for “Yes” and “N/A” in the Paper column.
- When updating FA, AA, and SC attachments the current description will display in the description field and be editable.
- Subcontracts will now appear on the Cycle Details page after every FA they are associated with, as they do on the Cycles Details flyout.
- Auto-generated document fields in SPAERC now have single spacing between lines of text entered.
- If an application’s initial sponsor is changed from RRF or to RRF, when the eGC1 is re-submitted, it will be appropriately re-assigned.
- Now you can directly re-parent an application which is the child of another application in the same cycle.
- For Grant Runner eGC1s that are connected to SAGE Budgets, the irrelevant Approved Attachments links have been removed from the History & Comments page and the Grants.gov Tracking History section of the GR Submission & Status page for actions associated with the submission steps (Name is Grants.gov).
- The “Change Action Type” drop down menu no longer includes “Post Award Change” as an option for FAs that have a parent (eGC1). This modification will enforce the parenting rules that have been established.
- On the Admin Actions’ Auto Generated Documents page, the email instructions label was changed to “SFI Compliance Notification”.
The following updates were released on April 25th, 2013:
- Attachments are viewable in SAGE:
- SAGE will display Subcontracts Actions (SA) attachments in the Related Documents section of the Attached Documents page on the eGC1 if the SA is in Active or Closed Out status and if the attachment type is other than To/From Communications.
- Recommendation: Use a file name that make it clear to the user what this attachment is related to (for example PO#857757SubcontractAGreement.doc.).
- Notes sections are now available:
- The Subcontract team now has the ability to type in Notes as needed for all status changes.
- These notes are required for changing to Denied or Duplicate status. A standard validation message will appear if you forget.
- SA has a new default status.
- Upon creation, an SA will have the default status of “pending”.
- You will not be able to close out a Subcontract if it has any SA with the status of pending or active. A validation message will appear when you try to do this.
ASTRA PAGE instead of error page
When people attempt to log in to a tool within the SAGE Suite (SAGE, SPAERC, and SERA) without the required ASTRA role, a page will display a list of people in their unit who can authorize access to it. Users will be able to choose an authorizer and send him or her a message to request access to the tool.
SAGE Updates SPAERC Users should know about:
New EH&S Compliance question in SAGE
- New question #7 : Will the project involve scientific diving?
- Explanation: Anyone diving under the University of Washington’s auspices must have current certification as a University of Washington Scientific Diver and adhere to the standards set forth in the UW’s Diving Safety Manual. EH&S will contact you to assist in meeting Diving Safety Program requirements prior to diving.
- The link to the diving safety program is. http://www.ehs.washington.edu/rbsdiving
- Answering “yes” to question 7 will add a watcher node to the approval graph. Sam Sublett and Pema Kitaeff are the EHS Diving watchers, and they will follow up with the PI.
Preliminary Benefit Rates are now available to SAGE Budget users.
- GIM 3 has been updated to allow Sage Budget preparers to choose between using current benefit rates or preliminary benefit rates for future budgeting. Users will also be able to look up rates within the revised GIM to view current and future rates as they become available.
- SAGE Budget will use the correct rate based on the period start date when using current and preliminary rates or current-only rates.
- Budget preparers can use a global update feature to update their budgets quickly when preliminary rates become available.
- The period entry page for a given person will indicate whether the rate is current or preliminary for that period.
If an advance budget has been requested on an application, advance details will appear on the application’s Non-Fiscal Compliance page and in any related Funding Actions. The advance number will also appear on Cycle Details flyout.
NOTE: Only advances in a routing or processed status will appear in these sections.
Viewing the details in an application is described below. For a Funding Action, review Complete the Funding Action.
Open the application with a linked advance from the Applications tasklist. From the left navigation menu, select Non-Fiscal Compliance. The following image shows an application with several associated advances.
At the top of the Non-Fiscal Compliance page, you’ll see a blue information box that states, “These responses may have been updated in an advance request associated with this eGC1.” The information box will also include a link to the related advance, as well as the date the advance was processed.
Click the advance link to view any potential non-fiscal compliance or cost share information that has been updated on the advance in SAGE.
When you click the advance link, the SAGE Advance Budget Request will open in a new tab. You will have view-only access to the advance in SAGE.
By default, the Request Summary page will be open. Scroll down to the Cost Share and Non-Fiscal Compliance sections to view the latest advance budget information.
By default, the Request Summary page will be open. Scroll down to the Cost Share and Non-Fiscal Compliance sections to view the latest advance budget information. The following image shows this view.
NOTE: For now, you will need to manually compare the application’s original cost share and non-fiscal compliance information listed in SPAERC with the information listed on the advance in SAGE. However, the information listed on the most recent advance will include the most up-to-date information.