Skip to content

DACA Renewals


The current policy to allow for DACA renewals could change soon.  The Trump Administration may ask a court to stop the order or announce a new change in policy.
For individuals who (1) currently have DACA, or (2) whose DACA expired after September 5, 2016, you must:

  1. Fill out a renewal application, form I-821D, in black ink, or typed: ;
  2. Fill out forms I-765 and I-765WS, in black ink, or typed (which can also be found at ;
  3. Fill out optional form G-1145, in black ink, or typed (which can also be found at ; * optional *
  4. Get your passport-style photos taken. The application requires two passport-style photos, attached to the application. You can get these photos taken at Rite-Aid, Walmart, and other stores with photo services;
  5. Make a copy of each side of your Employment Authorization Document, even if it’s expired. Make a copy of your approval notice of action (I-797). You will need to submit these with your application to confirm that you have been granted deferred action in the past;
  6. Get a check or money order for the filing fee of $495, which must be made out to the “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
  7. Once your application, documentation, and passport photos are put together and ready to go, make a copy of the entire filing for your records;
  8. We encourage you to come to Leadership Without Borders to have a staff member review your application. Our hours are Monday through Friday 9am–6pm. You can also set up an appointment at
  1. Mail your renewal application and all the documents in one piece to:
      • Chicago Lockbox if you are in Washington (varies my mail courier) :
    U.S. Postal Service
    USPS Express Mail/Fed Ex/UPS
    USCIS Chicago Lockbox Facility USCIS P.O. Box 5757
    Chicago, IL 60680-5757
    USCIS Chicago Lockbox Facility USCIS Attn: DACA 131 S. Dearborn – 3rd Floor
    Chicago, IL  60603-5517
  1. For a printable checklist of required documents, please see: you reside in another state, please check the filing address here: ;

If your DACA expired before September 5, 2016, you may apply for DACA status again, but will have to submit an initial application. This means that you will have to adhere to all the same requirements that were in place in your initial application, including:

  • Required forms:
    • I-821D (typed or in black ink)
    • I-765 Application for Work Authorization
    • I-765WS
    • Form G-1145 (optional)
    • 2 Passport style photos
    • $495 check or money order made out to Department of Homeland Security
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof that you came to the United States before your 16th birthday
  • If you once had immigration status, proof that that status has expired
  • Proof that you continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007 and that you were present in the U.S. on June 15, 2012
  • Proof of student status, high school diploma, GED certificate or military service
  • Criminal records (please contact an attorney if you have criminal records)

For more information on initial applications and examples of the types of evidence that are accepted, please see