Click each thumbnail map for the large, detailed map.
A printed color copy of these maps is also available at the Intramural Activities Building.
All measurements are in miles. Burke-Gilman Trail distances are cumulative. UW Waterfront Trails and North-End Trails are measured by distances between mile markers. (1 mile = 1.6 kilometer)
Whether your goal is to begin an exercise program or to maintain a program already adopted, take a minute to read the following tips.
- To prepare your body for exercise by increasing muscle temperature and heart rate, warm-up by doing the activity of your choice at a slow, controlled pace for 5-10 minutes.
- Next, stretch your muscles to be used in the activity. Hold stretches for 15-20 seconds. Do not bounce while stretching.
- Begin the activity slowly and progress to a moderate or high intensity.
- Maintain proper form for safe and effective participation. Working out harder is not necessarily better. A moderate pace for a longer time may be more beneficial for your personal goals.
- Reduce the pace of the activity before stopping. A 5-10 minute cool-down period allows the heart rate and blood flow to decrease gradually.
- Upon completion of your activity, stretch muscles to assist in recovery and to help increase flexibility.