Summer Study 2018 - Thursday, August 2
Phase I & II: Breakfast (Lander Hall, Local Point, Ground level)
- Meet up with a group in the Lander Hall 4th Floor Lobby between 7:00 and 8:00 to go down to breakfast.
Phase I: Meet outside in courtyard between Lander and Maple (see map) to depart for HUB.
Phase II: Meet outside in courtyard between Lander and Maple (see map) to depart for Phase II Workshop.
Phase II: Workshops
Exploratory Neurobiology: Bugs, Mice and Brains! (Kincaid Hall, Room 248, Health Sciences T366 and Hitchcock, Biology Library 220) Martha Bosma, Associate Professor, Biology, University of Washington; Kelly Duong, Hiro Watari, Jesse Miles, Kirsten Gilchrist, Chris Vong, Undergraduate Students and Graduate Students, Neuroscience, University of Washington
Let’s Do Video! Video Storytelling with Rooted in Rights (HUB, Room 238) Courtney Cole, Peter Rand, Vanessa Link, Jordan Melograna, Clark Matthews, Rachel Miyazaki, Vilissa Thompson, Rooted in Rights
Phase I: Web Design and Development (HUB, Room 145) Terrill Thompson, DO-IT Technology Specialist
- Be part of the DO-IT webdev team! Collaborate with other Phase I Scholars to design and build the 2018 DO-IT Summer Study website in this five-part workshop.
Phase I: Grab a snack and travel to Seismology Lab (depart from HUB, Room 145)
Phase I: Shake, Rattle, and ROLL! at the Seismology Lab (Atmospheric Sciences – Geophysics Building, Room 146) Doug Gibbons, University of Washington Earth and Space Sciences – Pacific Northwest Seismic Network
- Ever wondered how earthquakes are measured? Rumble on in and let’s find out.
Phase I & II: Lunch (HUB, Husky Den, Lower Level)
- Have lunch with fellow Scholars in the Husky Den.
- Computer lab is open from 12:00-1:30 in HUB 145. Great time to work on newsletter article, accessibility review, evaluations, check email or just hang out in the lab.
Phase I: Writing for Success (HUB, Room 145) Tami Tidwell, DO-IT Publications Coordinator
- Get in touch with your networking side by sending a formal thank you email.
Phase II: Tour of D-Center, Disability Resources for Students and ATC (Mary Gates Hall, Basement) UW Disability Resources for Students and Gaby de Jongh, IT Accessibility Specialist, Access Technology Services, UW-IT
- Learn about common assistive technology options from an expert.
- Hear from students and professionals and learn about the intake process for students with disabilities in postsecondary education.
Phase I: Snack Break (HUB, Room 145)
Phase II: Snack Break (HUB, Room 250)
Phase I: Scholarships (HUB, Room 250) Teresa Britschgi, Director, Washington State Opportunity Scholarship and Debra Zawada, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Learn about real-life costs of attending college and tips on how to pay for it.
Phase II: You Can DO-IT! Practicing Your Interviewing Skills (HUB, Room 250) Tami Tidwell, DO-IT Program Coordinator
- Get first-hand experience practicing your interviewing skills with representatives from local companies and organizations.
- Bring your elevator pitch!
Phase I: Networking Break (HUB, Room 145)
Phase I: Transforming Lives, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) (HUB, Room 145) Francis Gathenya and Aurelie Trier, DVR
- Learn about DVR; The Purpose, Eligibility and Process. This is a great opportunity to ask your questions to real DVR counselors and hear from Ambassadors using DVR services.
Phase I: Staying Connected (HUB, Room 145) Sheryl Burgstahler, DO-IT Program Director
- Check-in and chat about DO-IT workshops, assignments, daily events, Phase II, Ambassadors, internships, and questions and answer.
Phase I & II: Travel in group back to dorm and prepare for the Dance
5:45, 6, 6:15 Phase I & II: Meet on 4th Floor of Lander Hall to depart for HUB
Phase I & II: Pizza and Salad Dinner (HUB, Lyceum Room)
Phase I & II: DO-IT Dance (HUB, Lyceum Room)
- Celebrate your Summer Study successes including new DO-IT friends.
- Dance the night away with Scholars, Ambassadors, Mentors, and other DO-IT community members.
At 9:00, 9:30 or 10:00 Depart HUB to return to Lander Hall
Evening Dorm Activities
- Visiting, board games, crafts, and more (Lander 4th Floor Lounge).
- Hang out in your dorm room or go to bed early to get some rest.
Flush and Brush!
- Time to finish up your evening routine and head to your room.
Goodnight! All Scholars must be in their rooms in Lander Hall.