Summer Study 2018 - Wednesday, August 1
Phase I & II: Breakfast (Lander Hall, Local Point, Ground level)
- Meet up with a group in the Lander Hall 4th Floor Lobby between 7:00 and 8:00 to go down to breakfast.
Phase I: Meet outside in courtyard between Lander and Maple (see map) to depart for HUB.
Phase II: Meet outside in courtyard between Lander and Maple (see map) to depart for Phase II Workshop.
Phase II: Workshops
Exploratory Neurobiology: Bugs, Mice and Brains! (Kincaid Hall, Room 248, Health Sciences T366 and Hitchcock, Biology Library 220) Martha Bosma, Associate Professor, Biology, University of Washington; Kelly Duong, Hiro Watari, Jesse Miles, Kirsten Gilchrist, Chris Vong, Undergraduate Students and Graduate Students, Neuroscience, University of Washington
Let’s Do Video! Video Storytelling with Rooted in Rights (HUB, Room 238) Courtney Cole, Peter Rand, Vanessa Link, Jordan Melograna, Clark Matthews, Rachel Miyazaki, Vilissa Thompson, Rooted in Rights
Phase I: Web Design and Development (HUB, Room 145) Terrill Thompson, DO-IT Technology Specialist
- Be part of the DO-IT webdev team! Collaborate with other Phase I Scholars to design and build the 2018 DO-IT Summer Study website in this five-part workshop.
Phase I: Grab a snack and head to Geology (depart from HUB, Room 145)
Phase I: Geology Rocks! (Johnson Hall, Room 170) Annika Horlings and Ellen Ng, Students, Earth and Space Sciences, University of Washington, Rockin’ Out K-12 Outreach Coordinator
- An opportunity to learn about glaciers, glacier flows and volcanoes.
Phase I & II: Lunch (HUB, Husky Den, Lower Level)
- Have lunch with fellow Scholars in the Husky Den.
- Computer lab is open.
Phase I & II: Then and Now: People with Disabilities and our Pursuit of a More Equitable World with John Kemp and Trailblazer Awards (HUB, Room Lyceum), Host: Sheryl Burgstahler, DO-IT Director and Founder
- Engage in a thought-provoking exploration and discussion of the disability civil rights movement led by one of our nation’s most prolific and celebrated advocates for people with disabilities, John Kemp. Discover the parellels between the disability rights movement and others that improve our world by fully engaging people with diverse talents and perspectives.
- Meet the DO-IT Trailblazers and hear from and about them.
Phase I & II: Snack Break (HUB, Room Lyceum)
Phase I & II: College Life (HUB, Room Lyceum), Host: Scott Bellman, DO-IT Program Manager
- Talk to your fellow Scholars and Mentors about helpful accommodations and how to get them in college and beyond.
- Network with DO-IT Mentors and special guests.
Phase I & II: Staying Connected (HUB, Lyceum) Sheryl Burgstahler, DO-IT Program Director
- Check-in and chat about DO-IT workshops, assignments, daily events, Phase II, Ambassadors, internships, and question and answer.
At 4:45, Phase I & II: Travel in group to Dinner
Phase I & II: Dinner (Lander Hall, Local Point, Ground level)
- GRAB YOUR SOCKS to bowl tonight - for your bowling shoes.
At 6:00, Phase I & II: Meet outside in courtyard between Lander and Maple (see map) to depart for the HUB Game Room.
Phase I & II: Game Night at the HUB (HUB Game Room, Basement level)
- Got game? Bring it-let’s see what you got! Bowling, pool, ping pong, air hockey and video games!
Evening Dorm Activities
- Visiting, board games, crafts, and more (Lander 4th Floor Lounge). 4th Floor Lounge: Adrian, Micayla
- Hang out in your dorm room or go to bed early to get some rest. Dorm hall duty: Ryan
Flush and Brush!
- Time to finish up your evening routine and head to your room.
Goodnight! All Scholars must be in their rooms in Lander Hall.