How does a student who is blind learn to navigate around campus?

Date Updated

Orientation and mobility (O & M) specialists work with individuals with visual impairments to help them learn how to safely navigate their environment. On a postsecondary campus, an O & M specialist could help an individual plan campus routes, apply techniques for safe indoor and outdoor mobility, and analyze intersections and traffic patterns. These services are typically available through state agencies that coordinate services for people who are blind. For a student registered with the campus disabled student services office, staff may help facilitate the acquisition of these services before classes begin.

For more information about the specific ways orientation and mobility specialists work with individuals with visual impairments, visit the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP).